You like Lynyrd Skynyrd?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Live performance from Oakland, '77, like you've never heard it before. Worth watching. :)

Free Bird about 12 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxIWDmmqZzY

akbluz

Single-Sixer
Lynyrd Skynyrd ROCKS Gunny - and you do too. Thanks for the video. I always enjoy listening to their music.

Mike J

Hunter
I've been listening to Skynyrd since the 70's. I still enjoy their music. Thanks for the link.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
JPGLSG1234 said:
Gunny's in the way back machine again.......

'77 ain't way back. That's practically yesterday. This is way back. :lol:

Mississippi John Hurt. Full play list:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVj4KuTi8x8&list=OLAK5uy_k9UBY76dOCj9HFVPb5ea6rdP3gTRYCO8s

A little about this man.

John Smith Hurt (March 8, 1893[1][nb 1] – November 2, 1966), better known as Mississippi John Hurt, was an American country blues singer and guitarist.[3]

Raised in Avalon, Mississippi, Hurt taught himself to play the guitar around the age of nine. He worked as a sharecropper and began playing at dances and parties, singing to a melodious fingerpicked accompaniment.[4] His first recordings, made for Okeh Records in 1928, were commercial failures, and he continued to work as a farmer.

Dick Spottswood and Tom Hoskins, a blues enthusiast, located Hurt in 1963 and persuaded him to move to Washington, D.C.[5] He was recorded by the Library of Congress in 1964. This helped further the American folk music revival, which led to the rediscovery of many other bluesmen of Hurt's era. Hurt performed on the university and coffeehouse concert circuit with other Delta blues musicians who were brought out of retirement. He also recorded several albums for Vanguard Records.

Hurt returned to Mississippi, where he died, in Grenada, in 1966, aged about 73 years old.

I'm satisfied Gunny, that's way way back. I'm going to let this post play out and I gong to introduce you to some surprising music by two people you'd never think would get together. Be on the look out for a post Gunny and His music ......

I was a few year out of the Corps at an event in south GA to see Lynyrd, I only have sparse memories of that night but I was there.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
JPGLSG1234 said:
I'm satisfied Gunny, that's way way back. I'm going to let this post play out and I gong to introduce you to some surprising music by two people you'd never think would get together. Be on the look out for a post Gunny and His music ......

I was a few year out of the Corps at an event in south GA to see Lynyrd, I only have sparse memories of that night but I was there.

Lookin' fwd to it. :)

Btw, if you (or anyone else) is looking for a couple weeks road trip and likes blues music, I'd suggest the Mississippi Blues Trail. Hurt Museum (in his old home in Avalon) is one of the stops, about 100miles due west of me in the delta. Bring a gun if you want, no permit needed. Just be polite. :)

https://msbluestrail.org/

Fox Mike

Hawkeye
Given a choice of the two Mr. Hart would be my choice...no screeching electric guitars.

protoolman

Hunter
Wow, It's like I was back there again as my 16 year old self! Is it just my imagination that the girls were all prettier back then?

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

I remember feeling like the world had just ended when news of the plane crash broke. It took a long time--I understand Johnny Van Zant gets some special thanks here --but I'm certainly glad they were able to rebuild and carry on as well as they have!

Rick C

Dan in MI

Staff member
I remember the day the plane crashed too well. Skynyrd was one band I had not seen yet. The plan was to skip school after lunch and go buy tickets for what I believe was supposed to be a Halloween night concert. Sadly I had the displeasure of announcing the crash on my HS radio station that morning.

Latest posts