Yet Another Peening Problem

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hamcan

Bearcat
Jumping Frog":3vzbtl6k said:
jhearne":3vzbtl6k said:
The "Ear" peening is NOT a QC problem!
Yes, it is a QC problem, but not in the way people usually think of QC.

It starts as a design problem. A high quality development process will do extensive QC testing as part of the design cycle, including lifecycle testing and failure analysis.

If guns are having issues in the field after 500-1000 rounds, then that is a design issue that QC lifecycle testing failed to identify. FAIL.

Building a reputation for needing factory recalls on newly designed models shortly after product introduction points to the same issue of a flawed design not being identified in pre-release QC testing. In other words, I have now concluded that Ruger has an organizational weakness in their development methodology and organization. I reach this conclusion after 35 years of product development and engineering management experience.

I agree with you 100%. A design flaw is a QC issue. Unfortunately, it seems as though this is the way with big corporations today; pushers of mediocrity.

graygun

Hunter
The inconsistency of Ruger's comments,relative to a particular problem, is further evidence that things aren't well there. Is this just a Prescott problem?

I'd love to see them act like a small,struggling company that is keenly concerned with quality and image.

Doble Troble

Bearcat
Contact points are going to wear. I'd let function and reliability tell me if it was a problem.

My SR-9 started peening on the barrel hood to the point that the slide wasn't moving as smoothly. I filed off the lip. Problem solved - and it hasn't come back and I shoot this regularly in our monthy USPSA match.

I have a 1911 that I used to shoot in the match - it required similar types of maintenance with ejectors wearing/loosening, slide stops breaking, extractors giving-out, etc. If you shoot them, they'll all require regular attention - even Glocks need attention now and then.

I know Ruger recommends against a lot of lube, but I think a little more than recommended might help some of these wear issues - at the expense of some reliability in dirty/dusty conditions.

If you're taking her out to the range for some practice, why not grease it up?

If you're going into combat, lose the grease and CLP it.

rdmiller

Bearcat
Well, just an update. About a week ago, I spoke to Jullian, at Ruger, who was very helpful and understanding. After I explained my situation and my concern, he kindly took my information and arranged to have a prepaid shipping label emailed to me. Had it waiting by the time I got home from work.

It took me a few days to pack it up and ship it out. It went out on Friday, and it was delivered yesterday. I'm hoping to see it back in a week.

I'll send an update and photos upon receipt. For now, I'll have to satisfy my desires at the range with my Colt M4.

Rick

Mike J

Hunter
Hope they get you took care of Rick. I hope Ruger gets their act together soon, If not they are going to lose customers for years to come.

A

Anonymous

Good idea re the 300 fps recording.:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
graygun said:
Good idea re the 300 fps recording. I'd been wondering if the mfr had been doing something like that in an effort to t/s the problems with this gun. I hope they're doing more than just replacing parts.

I just noticed tab peening on mine when i looked at them through an opti visor. I noticed the left tab hits the the left side of the slide before being pushed home.

I 'll wait to see if Ruger has a true fix before sending mine in.

EDITED by Mod for links.

AZ Outlaws

Bearcat
Okay... I haven't been around for awhile and just now came across this thread. I took my SR9 apart and noticed it too has the peening on the ears/tabs or whatever they're called.

My SR9 has only 600 rounds or so on it. My question is simply, how big of an issue is this??

I have an early make LCP that had the peening issue that I posted about early last year. I took it to Ruger in Prescott and they milled it down for me. They said it was only cosmetic, yet they ended up remilling the area during production on the newer LCP. Is the the same school of thought you guys have about the SR9 issue as just being cosmetic? Do you think it will become a problem the more it's shot, or will it reach a point and wear to a point and then stop like the LCP did? So now I'm wondering if I should send my SR9 back to Ruger??

First it was the LCP recall, then the SR9 and now this issue. Geez... it seems like my little Mark III is the only gun they make without wide spread issues, but then they've had a lot of years to get that design right, even if it is difficult to reassemble.

Thanks for the inputs...

jhearne

Buckeye
Hey AZ, been a while, I think this is one of those problems, more cosmetic than anything. Something I'd monitor, but not worry over.

Josh

AZ Outlaws

Bearcat
jhearne":3ln37abq said:
Hey AZ, been a while, I think this is one of those problems, more cosmetic than anything. Something I'd monitor, but not worry over.

Josh
Thanks, and I hope you're feeling better after your surgery.

Happy trails...

jhearne

Buckeye
Thanks AZ, got a touch of the cold but other than that it's just a good deal of bed rest basically now, hoping to be back at work within 2 weeks.

Josh

AZ Outlaws

Bearcat
jhearne":26fq8c6x said:
Thanks AZ, got a touch of the cold but other than that it's just a good deal of bed rest basically now, hoping to be back at work within 2 weeks.

Josh

LOL I know all about bed rest!! I finally retired last April... 24 years USAF (1966~1990) and 19 years steering the big rigs cross country, and then local here in Phoenix. I'm getting plenty of bed rest now... if afternoon naps on the couch count. :D

(hey guys... sorry about going OT)