Yet another "non-Ruger"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I know, I know... But it was so pretty just sitting there. I had to refinish the grips as originally they were this horrible orange color with a gloss polycoat.

IMG_1270Small.jpg

She's a 1985 S&W 624 Lew Horton Edition 3" .44 Special. The Ruger tie-in is that I fell in love with this caliber by virtue of my Lipsey's BH. While I love that gun too, I'm not quite good enough with a single action to want to use it as a carry gun. This one now fills that role:

IMG_1290Small.jpg

Don't you just love those Jacuzzi-sized hollowpoints? Winchester Silvertips.

Holster is on order from Rob @ Simply Rugged. Can't wait to start wearing it more regularly. Yes, it's a big old N-frame, but it's only a little heavier than my stainless Commander.

-- Sam

chutch

Bearcat
Love the short barrel Smith 44 specials......

24-6
IMGP0774.jpg

Simply Rugged Tribute with pouch for the speed strips. Now he is making a shoulder harness for the Tribute. Note to self , Call Wasilla!
IMGP0830.jpg

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
Careful, careful! .44 Specials are an addiction. Next thing you know, you'll have some of these:

My 1982 Colt with Executioner's American Elk handles:

Grashorn003.jpg

My 1962, 2nd Generation Colt with old, old, old Stag handles:

Cookie001-1.jpg

My pair of AWA Peacekeepers:

AWA004.jpg

My Cimarron 1872 Open Top .44 Special customized by Bob Munden:

Cimarron1872013.jpg

1872Munden022.jpg

My S&W 624:

SW624g002.jpg

All of 'em, including my Lipsey's Blackhawk before it became adorned with Cary C's birdseye maple handles:

FourtyFours005.jpg

...and speaking of the birdseye maple handles:

Blackhawk004.jpg

Snake45

Hawkeye
What a shame Smith didn't go ahead and put 3.5" barrels on those things, like the old M27s. Then they could have had full-length ejectors on them, like this limited-run 3" M66 (K frame).

M66a.jpg

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Yeah, but with .44 Special length cases those 3"ers work fine. I rarely need the ejector on mine anyway, as the cases pretty much drop out.

Nice guns, everyone! I really like that "Open Top". I've been thinking about picking up a 18xx conversion revolver for some time, but this might fit the bill. I sort of liked the idea of the 1861 Remington due to the "Yosemite Sam" tie-in, but I also like the look of the old OT.

What's the accuracy/consistency like? Will it shoot to point of aim with a normal load? I'm primarily a target shooter, and I'm always a bit suspicous of "repro" guns.

-- Sam

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
wixedmords":3c7trqej said:
Love the grip YS. The red or orange grips will darken a bit if stained.

I have an older wooden grip for a Colt V frame that I am going to stain darker.
Thanks! I finally learned the lesson on these that "dark walnut" stain has too many yellow highlights, and never gets dark enough, while "ebony" stain has too many green highlights, and that the two finishes don't mix very well (splotchy coverage). I may have to go with leather dye or ink for my next "dark" grips.

I also used an old folk prep step of vinegar and steel wool to help darken and bring out the grain.

-- Sam

Snake45

Hawkeye
I think the S&W "orange" (goncalo alves) grips are quite attractive. I have several of them. The ones I didn't care that much for were their walnut that was very light, almost a golden color. I recently redid a set of those and stained them to a dark walnut color and they look great.

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
Yosemite Sam, when I ordered my Cimarron Open Top in .44 Special, I knew the blue would be dark and beautiful. I knew the one piece walnut grips would fit perfectly to the brass frame and have a handsome appearance.

I also knew the mainspring would be overly strong, the trigger pull terrible, and the timing off.

But I had also wanted to have a revolver's action customized by Bob Munden. I've always enjoyed Munden and I really like his humor on Impossible Shots Wednesday nights on the Outdoor Channel.

The revolver came back with a trigger pull under 2 pounds with a perfectly timed action. It's amazing.

RugerSR556004.jpg

Check out the targets. They were all center hold at 21 feet, one handed, standing. The gun shoots great!

cubrock

Blackhawk
I wanna play the .44 Special game!

My 624 4" - one of my regular carry guns, with leather by Simply Rugged:

sw624withholster.jpg

My USFA 4 3/4" Flat Top Target with leather by Rick Gittlein and Simply Rugged:

usfa44fttleft2.jpg

usfaftt44withgittleinleahyleather.jpg

Texas Longhorn Arms Improved Number "Five" in .44 Special. Only one known in that caliber.

k-327right.jpg

My S&W 1950 Target with leather from Simply Rugged:

1950targetwithfliptopholsterright.jpg

3.5" Freedom Arms Model 97 with Duclos leather:

fa9744specwithduclosholster.jpg

I have a few other "Special" .44s, but don't have pics handy. :D

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Nice guns, gents (he says, the master of understatement). Now I know where all the .44 Specials go! Some serious investments here.

I'm not sure whether to go Freedom Arms or custom for my next one... I do think I'm at that point, though. I have enough commercial grade firearms to sink a small boat, maybe it's time for something really nice.

-- Sam

wickerbill

Bearcat
I can play this game too. Here is my Lipsey 44 spl. with CLC black micarta grips.
1000937.jpg

Here is my
S&W 696 five shot L-frame is my main carry gun.(I love this gun)
1000802.jpg

Here is my 44spl. Colt New Frontier. (This gun dosn't know it's not a rifle)
1000484.jpg

Bill

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Oh heck, as long as everyone else has done it...

Here's my Lipsey's .44 with a target from the first time I shot it:

IMG_1201Small.jpg

And after I replaced the grips with extended Honduran Rosewood panels from forum member 41 Magnum (bad lighting and all):

IMG_1216_lightened_small.jpg

-- Sam

yankee7809

Single-Sixer
You guys have a bunch of special .44s. I never get tired of seeing these kind of beauties. I am at present hunting for a " Lew Horton" 624 for carry. So far no luck but I'll shake one loose sooner or later.