Yesterday's buy. P93.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
Despite Revhighs distaste for Ruger P guns.(see the other p97 thread where he thinks they are Yugos) Sorry Rev my brother, you are delusional.

Me being the sane one, I had to get another P series metal decocker.
While the getting is still good.
I have been looking for either a nice smith 3rd generation or Ruger p89
for a while locally. Been burned too many times on line not seeing the gun in person. Can I mention that here without rebuke?
I am bit soured on striker pistols except for Glock.
From now on I am sticking with older smiths and older Rugers semi autos.

I found a Smith 915s for $400. Too high a price and too beat up.
Also not a third generation.
I found a Smith 6906, I have one already, but wouldn't mind another, they are great guns but the only one I found was a square trigger one. I don't like that. Came very close to getting the 6906 for $400.
Also found a Sig p6 that was kinda beat up, one 8 shot mag, for $450. Thought that was too high and never been a Sig guy anyway.
I think they are overrated. Sure Sigs work but so does Ruger. Why spend more. Ruger is an American company, good warranty, and most importantly stone cold reliable. Some Yugo. :roll:
Never a recall, never heard of ANYONE complaining of Ruger P series.
( well except Rev, but to repeat myself, he hates Ruger autos on principle :lol: )

So, Finally found a P93 decocker model in a hole in the wall gunstore. It looks absolutely perfect. Not a scatch. Full of old grease, it was yellowed inside with old oil/grease, it looks to have been shot once and put away for a decade.
So here is the score. $360 dollars.
rugerp93.jpg

Yes, some will say that is too high, but I have found the Ruger p series to be the most dependable handguns around. The p93 on the bottom is now the baby brother to my p89 at the top.

It is the same size as the p95 but with the aluminum alloy frame.
I have found them harder and harder to find, so though I may have slightly overpaid, I am very happy, and doubt I will regret it as the years roll on. I think I got a keeper. Any other proud p93 parents?
I haven't found a lot of opinions on this particular model, seems everyone has either p89's, p90's, p94's, or p95's.

(And can we please put to bed the issue that P guns cannot shoot accurately? This was done today with my nerve damaged right arm, with cheap brown bear ammo. It's as good as Sig could do and more than enough for anyone for self defense. It doesn't jam, will last forever, and shoot the lights out. Keep the Sig for twice the price! This gun will do anything I need it to. Just ran through 200 rounds to test her out.)
p93target002.jpg

Al James

Hunter
Good score! You will love the P93. I have always had a fondness for the 93's. Perfect size for a P gun and will hold 17+1 to boot. I have never had any complaints about the accuracy of the P series pistols but I have heard MOB[minute of barn] comments online quite a bit.

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
Thanks guys. Funny how a pistol can exist for years and somebody is not even aware of it.
The p93 just kinda slipped through the cracks on me.
I had my 89, and I was familar with the 90,94, 95.
But the 93, which just might be the coolest of them all, I really knew nothing about.
In size it's about like a G19, but is all metal like my 89.
I like it.
And it is very accurate, they must have done some improvements between the 89 model and 93.

(course I am probably just saying it's the best "P" because I bought one. The best gun is always the gun we just bought! :wink: )

revhigh

Hawkeye
Hey Gator !!

I see powder burns on that target ... did you have the muzzle pushed up against it when you shot those groups ?? :D

Sell that junker and buy the Python ... LOL !

REV

GhosT

Blackhawk
Gator,
I am a HUGE fan of the decocker P-series!

Aluminum alloy frame on yer P93.......
Love mine on my P91 !

No insult intended to those that bought the next generation guns,
But ,JMHO, the P-series, rugged, accurate, and reliable...
Prefer over the newer models.

And need to respond to REVHIGH's post............a fan of his posts.

"Sell that junker and buy the Python ... "
Owned a stainless 6" Python,VERY COOL GUN.

Had to send that gun back to the factory twice for timing issues.
Heavy loads screwed with timing.
Surprised me more....
Colt's STAINLESS metal tended to rust and PIT!

I traded it in for a stainless,6" full lug GP100.

Of course, the trigger was not the same,but...
Maybe I got Lucky, just as accurrate as the PYTHON,
more rugged lock works,and never comes close to rusting!

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
revhigh":2vwng9ys said:
Hey Gator !!

I see powder burns on that target ... did you have the muzzle pushed up against it when you shot those groups ?? :D

REV

No believe or not that is really 10 yards. Measured. And those 10 shots were not slow either. I really cannot hold a gun up that long to take super slow shots.
So it's an honest to goodness real report, real targets, real holes, All shot single action.
I wouldn't even attempt it Double action.
( I took it out to 25 yards and tried it again, the first shot hit dead bullseye. The rest were all over the place in a 4-5 circle. Put another target up, same story. First shot dead bullseye, rest all over the place. So the gun is capable, the shooter not so much)

10 yards doesn't sound like much until it's actually tried. For this gun to almost make a ragged hole is very impressive. Especially with my arm and shooting skills.
I hear these guys talk about shooting 2-3 inch circles at 50 yards with their glocks and I yawn. At 50 yards the sight would cover the entire 5 inch target.
I frankly don't believe 99% of those reports.
This one you can believe.

I will admit my p89 cannot do this. It is not a super accurate pistol.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Gator, I've got an extra 19 lb hammer spring for that P93, if you like the way it shoots now you'll love it with the lighter spring. Shoot me a PM with your address and I'll send it to you.

revhigh

Hawkeye
gatorhugger":3qblvx1r said:
revhigh":3qblvx1r said:
Hey Gator !!

REV

No believe or not that is really 10 yards.

I believed ya Gator .... just keeping up my reputation !!!

Good shootin' gun ya got there ! Congrats .... now get on back to that gunshop and buy that Colt.

REV

2ndamd

Bearcat
NICE FIND!!!!
I keep checking every where for a P93. I love that gun! and a decocker too? Very nice find gator!

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
2ndamd":8mszz6mw said:
NICE FIND!!!!
I keep checking every where for a P93. I love that gun! and a decocker too? Very nice find gator!

I guess I missed on the 93 series because they were not produced that long. Looks like they stopped in 2004, same as the 94.
The p89 went on until 2008 I believe, so a lot more 89's are out there.
That would explain the scarcity of the 93 in the used gun market.
Super gun, shame it's not made anymore, if I find another, I am nabbing
it!

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
ArmedinAZ":1mxmhuj8 said:
Gator, I've got an extra 19 lb hammer spring for that P93, if you like the way it shoots now you'll love it with the lighter spring. Shoot me a PM with your address and I'll send it to you.

Appreciate the offer, very generous, but I will keep it as is. I don't really have the skills to do much more than field strip them.
Last gun I tried replacing a trigger spring was my Sigma. I broke a plastic part, and worse couldn't for the life of me remember how I took it apart.
It's now back at Smith Wesson in parts in a baggie.
Tough getting old. :(

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
gatorhugger":1fzzooaf said:
ArmedinAZ":1fzzooaf said:

Appreciate the offer, very generous, but I will keep it as is. I don't really have the skills to do much more than field strip them.
Last gun I tried replacing a trigger spring was my Sigma. I broke a plastic part, and worse couldn't for the life of me remember how I took it apart.
It's now back at Smith Wesson in parts in a baggie.
Tough getting old. :(

OK, but if you can change grips you can change this hammer spring. It's a 5 minute job, 10 if you're really, uh, challenged.

railroader

Single-Sixer
OK, but if you can change grips you can change this hammer spring. It's a 5 minute job, 10 if you're really, uh, challenged.

True. Tap out 1 pin, pull out the plug, replace the spring, put the plug back in and knock the pin back in. Mark