XS Sight LCR

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jamstutz

Bearcat
Last night I discovered I was out of W-W white box .38 Spl range ammo, and there was a lot to do around the house today (at least according to the boss) so I got up early with my LCR and 20 precious rounds of Speer Gold Dot 135 gr JHP +P (short barrel). In the dim early light, about 25 degrees F, with 20-25 MPH wind gusts, I expended the $32.64 of ammo at a stepped off distance of 15 yards..

XSsight.jpg

The first 10 shots I turned off the LCR's laser grips and sighted the XS sight as best I could over the center of the target, so POA would have been the center of the XS dot. From top to bottom the group measures just over 6 inches, but are well positioned over the 4.5 inch bullseye.

Just to compare I fired the last 10 shots with the laser sights only, below eye level, at the same 15 yard distance.

CTgrips.jpg

This group measured just under 2 inches. It doesn't say anything about the XS sight, but it says a lot about old people's eyes and how much of a help lasers can be.

slemers

Bearcat
EnzNow":3fbvjvpl said:
Cordite":3fbvjvpl said:
Interesting that Ruger suggests in the LCR manual (http://www.ruger.com/products/_manuals/lcr.pdf) on page 22 to line up the top of the front sight with the top of the grip frame.

I am assuming that the top of the grip frame and the sight channel in it are parallel to the barrel bore... I am having trouble understanding Ruger's sighting suggestion with regard to the fact that the front sight is taller than the grip frame. I must be dense but it doesn't make sense to me.

I was thinking that maybe the cylinder and barrel aren't exactly parallel with the top line of the frame. They are at a slight angle forward? IDK just a guess?

-EnzNow

I find that my strong hand cants forward slightly to line up the front sight on my LCR. The frt sight if lined up per the manuals suggestion works pretty well for a X ring shot. If I raise the gun in my optimal stance, I find tha the gun shoots high and left. ( I'm lefthanded)If I take the time to align the sight on the bottom edge of the bulls eye it works as advertised.
I've run about 150 rounds of 130 gr Remington thru it to date.

darkwater67

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the info, jamstutz...and the sacrifice of body heat and expensive SD loads...you da man! :D

jamstutz

Bearcat
Just a note--someone off board asked me where I held the dot in relation to the rear sight. (Re-reading the posts I guess that was what you were getting at darkwater.) My sight picture didn't put the dot inside the rear notch--the dot was above the notch, centered on where I intended the POI to be. I hope that clarifies and helps.

DocGlock

Bearcat
Jamstutz, thanks for the excellent post of instructions w/pics. It allowed me to be sure I had everything on hand that was needed. Once the doorbell rang and I had my sight, about 30 minutes later it was a done deal.

darkwater67

Single-Sixer
jamstutz":1frrksvi said:
Just a note--someone off board asked me where I held the dot in relation to the rear sight. (Re-reading the posts I guess that was what you were getting at darkwater.) My sight picture didn't put the dot inside the rear notch--the dot was above the notch, centered on where I intended the POI to be. I hope that clarifies and helps.

Gotcha...I was thinking that would be the case...thanks!

ranger7

Bearcat
My sights came this afternoon. Decided to just do one LCR first and wait to do the second one. The first went very easy. Pin drifted out easily and old sight just about fell off. It went so well, I decided to do the second one also.

The second one didn't go quite as smoothly. The pin was a little more difficult and the old sight was pressed on pretty tightly. No major problems though. The excess JB Weld was still pliable so I didn't have to mix a new batch. Both LCRs were done in about 30 minutes total.

Now I'm counting the hours til I can carry and shoot them.

ranger7

Bearcat
Took one of the XS sighted LCRs to the range this morning for a short tryout. In spite of being very cold, I shot 15 rounds and the point of impact was pretty much what the XS directions say to expect.

I'm satisfied with the XS sights so far.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
I installed the XS on my LCR. Very happy with. I did however want a bigdot version. I emailed XS and was told they have no plans for a big dot version. They have been unable to get the big dot version to meet accuracy standards due to the small size of the rear sight notch.

cpallenjr

Bearcat
jamstutz, I know that this is an old thread but I thought it would be good to get an update as to how the sight is holding up. I also have the CT grips on my LCR and wanted to ask if you still thought the sight upgrade was a worthwhile investment.

Thanks in advance
Courtney in Seattle