XS Sight LCR

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ranger7

Bearcat
Also waiting anxiously for your review.

How long was it since you ordered? Seems like a long time.

jamstutz

Bearcat
From the time I ordered them until XS Sights sent me a shipping notification email, it was a little over a week, which included the Thanksgiving holiday.

jamstutz

Bearcat
Well, FedEx made it and delivered the LCR sights from XS Sight Systems. While not exactly what I was expecting, the installation on both of my LCRs went smoothly and I would think anyone with a little patience (and the right tools!) could do it, even though XS Sights recommends that a gunsmith do the installation.

01Sightsinthebox.jpg

Along with the front sight comes a small pamphlet that explains the installation procedure. It lists the necessary tools as:

• 1/16" drift punch
• Small file
• Hammer
• Padded pliers
• Epoxy (JB Weld recommended)
• Alcohol
• Cotton swabs

Naturally, the first step is to make certain that your LCR is unloaded.

Drift out the retaining pin from the front sight. I have a padded vise, and this made the operation a lot easier. Also while XS Sights specifies a 1/16" drift punch, I have a 3/64" drift punch that I found worked easier since the 1/16" punch felt like it was binding up in the hole. Once started, the little roll pin can be pulled out with a pair of needlenose pliers so you don't lose it.

03Pullingouttheretainingpin.jpg

The Ruger front sight is now sitting on a stud and will need to be pulled off (straight up)with the padded pliers. You can rock it a little bit to get it started, be careful when working the front sight off of the stud not to break the stud. Once you see a little daylight under the sight it can then be pried off.

04Pullingoffthefrontsight.jpg

After removing the factory front sight, clean off the stud and the area around it. Remove any specks of adhesive or residue, but be careful not to mark the barrel. The finish is tough, but it isn't indestructible.

05Sightstudandfrontsight.jpg

The XS sight has a slot in the bottom that fits over the stud on the barrel of the LCR. Use the alcohol and the cotton swabs to remove any residual grease or debris from the slot, the bottom of the sight, the mounting stud, and area around the stud.

Test fit the XS sight on the stud. If it fits with less than .005" gap at the bottom, you're good to go. If it does not fit on the stud, file the sides of the stud until it does. Do not take too much off of one side or the other, or it may affect your lateral sight picture. Check alignment with the flat on top of the barrel.

Once you are satisfied with the fit, mix your epoxy and place a small amount in the slot of the XS sight. Press the XS sight down hard onto the stud and toward the rear of the LCR. Make certain that the sight is pressed all the way down to the barrel. Here once again I used the padded vise to make sure that the sight was pressed down all the way. Check alignment again—this is the last chance you will have to make any changes. Wipe away any excess epoxy and allow it to cure with the gun upright—a minimum of 8 hours, but I like to give it a good day to cure hard.

07Sightinstalled-Right.jpg

08Lowlightsightpicture.jpg

jamstutz

Bearcat
The white dot (standard size, not the Big Dot XS also makes) has at its center a tritium insert that glows bright green in the dark.

ranger7

Bearcat
Jamstutz, Thanks for the detailed review. Just ordered two sights. (My third LCR is kind of a spare. Will keep it stock for now.)

ranger7

Bearcat
Just got my tools and supplies ready for the sights to arrive.
Got an e-mail from XS-sights. The LCR sights are out of stock. They hope to be able to ship them in a week or two.

He who hesitates ........ waits.

gobe

Bearcat
Excellent instructions, but you made no mention of the 'drift pin' in your installation of the new sight. Should I assume that it is not used on the new sight?

A

Anonymous

jamstutz,
this has been really helpful i am expecting mine in two days(fingers crossed) i ordered it on 11/20...
one question for you how long did you press the sight down for while epoxy was setting? if the directions address this i guess i can wait till it comes...

jamstutz

Bearcat
I left the stud and the sight a tight fit so after I had it tight against the barrel, it never moved. If the fit had been looser, I'd have left it in the vise until it cured (8-12 hours).

darkwater67

Single-Sixer
Any thoughts on how hard it would be to drill a hole in the XS sights for the drift pin to fit thru? I really don't like the idea of glue holding it all together and would prefer keeping the pin to provide extra retention strength for those rough pocket draws in stressful situations or for other forces acting on the gun, such as being dropped or firing hot loads. A CCW gun is only as dependable as its weakest part.

jamstutz

Bearcat
YMMV, but my belief is that the epoxy is stronger than the 1/16" roll pin...I don't see it coming off any time soon. In fact, I was wondering what I was going to do in 10-15 years when the tritium in the XS sight begins to decay.

darkwater67

Single-Sixer
That's the other extreme to consider...might have to replace the gun just because the $60 non-removable sight failed...hehe.

darkwater67

Single-Sixer
Let us know if you get a chance to take it to the range and see if it changed your point-of-aim... :D

jamstutz

Bearcat
Will do. Right now we're in the middle of the big freeze, but I may be able to get off a few shots.

The XS literature describes point of aim this way for their Express Sights:

Close Range - 15 yards and in
Point of Impact - Within the Dot
Get a quick hit at normal defensive ranges by placing the full front Dot on the intended point of impact.

Extended Range - 25 yards and out
Point of Impact - Top of the Dot
Allows for precise shot placement beyond normal defensive ranges.