XS Big Dot sights for the Ruger LC9s Pro - a PITA install

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kraigster414

Bearcat
I was all ready to install the Big Dot sights on my brand new LC9s Pro when my gunsmith (who also sold me the gun) said he would do the install for a nominal amount. I said sure, why not, one less thing for me to do. My time is valuable. Fast forward, he got the sights in but said it was one of the most difficult installs he has ever done on a semi auto dovetail. And this is a guy that has installed a LOT of sights and has the right equipment. Others have reported the same thing.

So a word of caution....even though you have installed XS sights before, the LC9 XS Big Dot sights are a bear and a half to install on the newer LC9s models. At least mine were. The original front sight design was anchored with a pin. The XS front sight is not pinned so XS intentionally cuts them over-sized to ensure they will fit snug on every gun. Ergo it is not a simple job and is best left to a competent gunsmith.

Oh yeah by the way, the tritium Big Dot insert? It blew right out of the front sight after the first 100 rounds (standard pressure 9mm ammo). I just called XS and they are sending me a replacement after they get my photo. Despite the slow start, after shooting the LC9s Pro with the XS Big Sights, IMHO they are one of the very best options in sights for the LC9 providing the PITA install is not a show stopper for you. POI was spot on at 10 yards with the Big Dot. Good enough for me and they were worth the aggravation.

Bottom line you will NOT be able to install them with just a vice, hammer and brass, wood or nylon punch. That front sight is a bear and a half. Consider yourself warned. Cheers.

SEE UPDATE BELOW!

kraigster414

Bearcat
Update and mystery solved....

First off be very careful. The XS Big Dot sights, front and rear that I bought off Amazon did not fit (without tremendous effort) my new LC9s Pro even though it says right on the XS packaging for the "LC9, LC380." Secondly, the front sight does not say Trijicon on the top, very interesting. My gunsmith said no way was the insert a Trijicon. It is XS product number RP-000-9s and it is being sold on Amazon and through other online retail outlets.

The correct XS product number that will fit nicely is 10-2372A-324-3 and the front sight says clearly Trijicon on it. The packaging just says it will fit the LC9 (does not specify S or S Pro). This is the one you want particularly if you have an S Pro. I can't speak for the other LC9 iterations, the non-striker and the S with safety.

I wasted a lot of time and effort and complained to Amazon forcefully. All's well that ends well and providing you get the right sights, the XS Big Dots are a winner on a close and personal firearm. Highly recommend, just be careful and check the XS part number.

I might have just saved you a lot of time and aggravation.

Elric

Bearcat
kraigster414 said:
Update and mystery solved....
My gunsmith said no way was the insert a Trijicon. It is XS product number RP-000-9s and it is being sold on Amazon and through other online retail outlets.

The correct XS product number that will fit nicely is 10-2372A-324-3 and the front sight says clearly Trijicon on it. The packaging just says it will fit the LC9 (does not specify S or S Pro).

I just went to the XS Sight Systems page and tried to bring up 10-2372A-324-3, no holy joy. It only shows the LC9 and 380 models, RP-0009S-3 Big Dot, RP-0009S-4 Standard dot. I looked under new models, not there either.

If I am tracking, the sight that worked is RP-0009S-3, part number 10-2372A-324-3?
:?: