XS Big Dot sights - experiences?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I'm going to be putting a set of night sights on my new Glock 30. I've always been intrigued by the XS Big Dot, even back when they were the AO Big Dot. I realize this sight will not give great target resolution, but that's not what this gun is about.

Does anyone here have personal experience with these, and can you recommend them, or not? I must admit I'm somewhat less excited about them after seeing that the tritium vial is the same size as a regular sight, it's just surrounded by a big white ring. Are these truly any better for quick target acquisition?

-- Sam

Anthony Williams

Single-Sixer
Hello Sam,

Yes, I have experience with these sights. About five years ago I had a Ruger P-95 fitted with the Big Dot set-up. And I found this to be a great aid in very fast target aquisistion < never could spell that word) I love these sights and they are fast! As for accuracy? Up close these sights are deadly. I did try them out to 25 yards and I couldn't really see any real loss of accuracy. I liked these sights so much I had plans to have a pair installed on a P-90 I used to have but traded that gun off before I could. I'm at a age where I need reading glasses, but I was able to focus without glasses quite well with that Big Dot system. These sights are so good that Novak offers their own variation of this system. I like 'em because they are QUICK to get on target with. I wish they would be a factory option.

A.W.

Guppy

Bearcat
I had a set on an M&P. I could not shoot accuratly at any distance. I could see using them if my vision were bad enough though. I traded them for stock sights...

An option you might consider a fiber optic front sight, in close it is very easy to bring the gun up, ignore the rear sight, put the bright dot of the front center mass. It is fast and keeps your sight viable for distance.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Thanks for the replies.

I found some discussions of this on other forums, where a prevailing opinion seemed to be that they're OK, but it's difficult to switch between three dot systems and these. Since I have guns with both, and was reminded that I don't like traditional bar-dot sights, I decided to go with a three-dot system.

A friend recommended the TruGlo TFO fiber/tritium sights, but they're pretty large for a carry gun, imo. I went with the smaller TruGlo tritium only sights, and got them for a great price at my local.

-- Sam