XR3-RED, when did it happen?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SammyKat

Bearcat
I'm searching for the beginning serial number, where the single-six (standard) transitioned from XR3 to XR3-red. Some of my research, so far, indicates that it took place during the final phase of 1961 production. While some other sources show it transitioned somewhere in the middle of the 1962 production line. ie- would anyone have a 1961 model which has a grip frame labeled XR3-red? Just to note: Ruger's website shows 1962 serials beginning with 187367.

hittman

Staff member

Info might be here …. I don't remember for sure.

caryc

Hawkeye
I don't think I can give you specific info on "years" but I've made and sold Ruger grip panels for 15 years or so. On Ruger's plow handle style grips, they basically used only three different sizes. I never really cared what was stamped on a customers grip frame. There were other questions I could ask him to zero in on what he had. Below you see a drawing with the three basic grip frames that Ruger used. Check to see how one of your grip panels fits in a four inch square and the drawing will tell you what you have. They also came out with the New Vaquero in 2005. This had a steel copy of the old XR3 grip frame on it. They were trying to emulate the Colt grip for the cowboy shooters. Anyway, this new steel XR3 has the same profile as the old XR3 but it is 7/16" in width whereas the old XR3 grip frames were 1/2". The grip pin is in a slightly different location so an old pair of XR3 panels will not fit the new XR3 frame.

1yatnN1.jpg

Last edited:

chet15

Hawkeye
I'm searching for the beginning serial number, where the single-six (standard) transitioned from XR3 to XR3-red. Some of my research, so far, indicates that it took place during the final phase of 1961 production. While some other sources show it transitioned somewhere in the middle of the 1962 production line. ie- would anyone have a 1961 model which has a grip frame labeled XR3-red? Just to note: Ruger's website shows 1962 serials beginning with 187367.
XR3-RED did not begin showing up on Ruger Single actions until June 1962.
On the 5-1/2" Single-Six it began showing up about 194000
On the 9-1/2" Single-Six, the earliest is in the 193xxx range.
For the 6-1/2" Magnum Single-Six, about 336xxx.
.357 Blackhawks.... when the protected sight version came out at 42691. There are only a couple late shipped prior to 42689 that are known with RED grip frames.
For the .44 flattop, the very latest of production 6-1/2" and 7-1/2" guns had XR3-RED grip frames, but this was cleanup production for the .44 flattop, because even later shipped guns will also have unfluted Super Blackhawk cylinders.
Chet15

hittman

Staff member
Could be trying to figure out if his gun is original or modified.
Maybe it'll settle a bet.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome lvcta21,,!

Ok,, now inquiring minds want to know why you were asking the question.

BTW; Ruger's website of the production/dates isn't always accurate. Most of us used a "Ruger Reference Guide" published with the "Red Eagle News Exchange" (RENE.) It's much more accurate & better details.
Your reply by chet15 was spot on. He's the owner & publisher of the RENE & the Guide. :D

SammyKat

Bearcat
Welcome lvcta21,,!

Ok,, now inquiring minds want to know why you were asking the question.

BTW; Ruger's website of the production/dates isn't always accurate. Most of us used a "Ruger Reference Guide" published with the "Red Eagle News Exchange" (RENE.) It's much more accurate & better details.
Your reply by chet15 was spot on. He's the owner & publisher of the RENE & the Guide. :D
You want to know why I want to know? Ridiculous!

caryc

Hawkeye
You want to know why I want to know? Ridiculous!
What is so ridiculous about that? You come on here asking a question sounding like you need to know this for some particular reason and you don't think some of us would be curious about it? The truly ridiculous thing is that you refuse to answer our questions. Some people here go out of their way to try to help you and you just snub us when we asked why this date is so important to you.

I'm sorry I even bothered to try to help you in the first place.

SammyKat

Bearcat
What is so ridiculous about that? You come on here asking a question sounding like you need to know this for some particular reason and you don't think some of us would be curious about it? The truly ridiculous thing is that you refuse to answer our questions. Some people here go out of their way to try to help you and you just snub us when we asked why this date is so important to you.

I'm sorry I even bothered to try to help you in the first place.
I thanked the individual that provided the information. Sorry that is not enough for you.

caryc

Hawkeye
I thanked the individual that provided the information. Sorry that is not enough for you.
It's not the question, it's your attitude that bothers me. You got your info so it's OK to just leave us hanging. What we asked you is a fair question and you just can't be bothered with satisfying our curiosity. Thanks for nothing.

SammyKat

Bearcat
It's not the question, it's your attitude that bothers me. You got your info so it's OK to just leave us hanging. What we asked you is a fair question and you just can't be bothered with satisfying our curiosity. Thanks for nothing.
You need to calm down my friend.

contender

Ruger Guru
CaryC asked a question;
"OK, so I'm just curious. Why is that date so important to you?"

One of our moderators here posted;
"Could be trying to figure out if his gun is original or modified.
Maybe it'll settle a bet."

It was a bit of a curious question to me as well. It's because many of us here are contributors to the RENE & the "Guide" that chet15 publishes,, and if there is a different detail or whatever,, we like to try & have correct information.

Both Cary & myself are long time members here who've tried to help many people with information on their firearms.
By us asking,, we were NOT trying to be impolite.
But your response; "You want to know why I want to know? Ridiculous!" was a bit impolite.

By being impolite to those of us who try & help you with information will likely cause many of us to not offer information in the future. chet15 (Chad) offered the best detailed information he has,, and as such, you got excellent information. BUT,, if you have something that might alter what we currently know,, it would help all of us to know details.
THAT'S what made me ask my question.

This Forum has a long history of good people, all being polite & trying to be helpful. Many members here will step in & politely offer gentle comments to folks who were headed in a direction that wasn't family friendly, or aggressive or impolite. It was something that started long before I became a member,, and the (now deceased) owner FlatGate was very proud of.

So,, ignore my simple (and what I thought was a polite) request.

caryc

Hawkeye
CaryC asked a question;
"OK, so I'm just curious. Why is that date so important to you?"

One of our moderators here posted;
"Could be trying to figure out if his gun is original or modified.
Maybe it'll settle a bet."

It was a bit of a curious question to me as well. It's because many of us here are contributors to the RENE & the "Guide" that chet15 publishes,, and if there is a different detail or whatever,, we like to try & have correct information.

Both Cary & myself are long time members here who've tried to help many people with information on their firearms.
By us asking,, we were NOT trying to be impolite.
But your response; "You want to know why I want to know? Ridiculous!" was a bit impolite.

By being impolite to those of us who try & help you with information will likely cause many of us to not offer information in the future. chet15 (Chad) offered the best detailed information he has,, and as such, you got excellent information. BUT,, if you have something that might alter what we currently know,, it would help all of us to know details.
THAT'S what made me ask my question.

This Forum has a long history of good people, all being polite & trying to be helpful. Many members here will step in & politely offer gentle comments to folks who were headed in a direction that wasn't family friendly, or aggressive or impolite. It was something that started long before I became a member,, and the (now deceased) owner FlatGate was very proud of.

So,, ignore my simple (and what I thought was a polite) request.
Exactly, I couldn't have put it any better.