XR3 RED on 50th anniv. 357

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I know we have talked about this before but sometimes I suffer from CRS :)
Why do you have to cut the ears that fit into the cyl. frame?
I fitted a SBHH grip frame on mine and it fits like the factory did it. With the ears on. It functions fine. I've only dry fired it so far. You can tell the difference between the two mainsprings.
I like the bigger grip frame and the weight is no big deal.
I'm thinking the ears add support and Ruger decided they are not needed??
Eric

flatgate

Hawkeye
To me the "ears" are the two "semi circular" portions of the grip frame that surround the hammer and they have holes for the attachment screws. The older grip frames, i.e. prior to the New Vaquero and 50th Anniv. guns, have two "locator tabs" that fit slots in the cylinder frame.

I installed a standard Super Blackhawk grip frame on my 50th Anniv. "project" gun. I did indeed have to remove the "tabs" from the grip frame since the 50th Anniv. gun's cylinder frame lacks the slots..

50thShooterLR.jpg

Oh, I did modify the square backed trigger guard a bit....

flatgate

Thanks Flatgate. Yea, I knew "ears" wasn't going to cut it but you knew what I ment.
My 50th is a low ser. # and the cyl frame is sloted. I pick up a 44spl. next tues. and will take it apart and clean and see if it has the slots.
I know there has been a problem with the blueing process and rust in some guns lately. When I look at my 44spl. last week there was a lot of what looked like dried grease around the firing pin but outside the rest of the gun looked beautiful.
Eric

Hondo44

Hawkeye
My 44 Flatop doesn't have the slots in the frame. And my New Vaquero which is a couple of years old now doesn't either.

Did the 50th you have which has the slots in the frame, also have the tabs on the grip frame?

No tabs on the grip frame. The ears on the SBHH grip frame fit a little short on the 50th frame. Not known when the SBHH was made. I'll have to wait till tues. to take a look at my new lipsey's 44.
Eric

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Yes, the "ears" and the matching area on the frame of current guns are larger in general. My New Vaquero had the same issue. Fortunately it's a Stainless gun so after I fit the frame to the smaller ears of the old longer XR3 RED grip frame, I polished it and one cant tell. A blued gun would need some cold blue touch up.

I'm sure your new 44 won't have slots in the frame.

Jim,picked up my lipsey's spl. today.
No slots in the cyl. frame. Wonder if all the 50th 357 had the slots?
Except for a TON of crud around the firing pin and transfer bar this gun is beautiful. Fit and finish is perfect. Matching ser. # on cyl., grip frame and loading gate.
I'm happy. Guy at the gun store said its the first one he's seen. I told him good luck finding one.
Eric

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Eric,

I'm excited all over again like when I finally got mine. And no slots.

Yes they are pretty nice and a long time coming. My 1st one went back to Ruger twice to get the front sight on straight.
Shot my first one again yesterday and it just loves a 240 gr bullet in front of 7.5 grs of Unique. John Taffin had many new loads in a recent article that I need to try.
I think you'll be very pleased with yours.

I spiffed up mine with the Montado Vaquero stainless diamond checkered target hammer and stainless grip frame, Bisley trigger, Tru Ivory checkered grips w/ Ruger medallions, and a Colt crescent ejector rod head. I like to personalize my guns with different combinations of factory Ruger parts that make them more shootable for me. I really like the free spin cylinder with chamber alignment detent of the New Vaqeuros and new flattop models. The small calibers like the 22s and 32s need it worse, especially for ejection of shells with their small chambers for the ejector rod to find.

So I recently converted a New Model Super single six to a free spin cylinder with detent. What a sweet gun that was to shoot yesterday. Ruger won't sell the new free spin pawl so I used a Power Custom from Brownell's. Looks just like the Ruger part in my Flattop. Ruger did sell the detent, spring and set screw. I'll do my .32 Mag Single Six next and then my 44 Mag Full size Vaqueros.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
flatgate":3v1rlg6f said:
To me the "ears" are the two "semi circular" portions of the grip frame that surround the hammer and they have holes for the attachment screws. The older grip frames, i.e. prior to the New Vaquero and 50th Anniv. guns, have two "locator tabs" that fit slots in the cylinder frame.

I installed a standard Super Blackhawk grip frame on my 50th Anniv. "project" gun. I did indeed have to remove the "tabs" from the grip frame since the 50th Anniv. gun's cylinder frame lacks the slots..

Oh, I did modify the square backed trigger guard a bit....

flatgate

flatgate,

That's a real beauty! I noticed that you also removed that ugly web behind the trigger. That is the first thing I do on all my ruger New Models! It's such a small thing but such a great improvement in looks. You're the only other person I've seen do that.
I was telling Eric above that I put a Bisley trigger in my 44 Spl. Since the Stainless grip frame was added, I didn't mind modifying it for the B trigger to fit; just a little enlargement at the front of the trigger slot. I also use the small frame size Bisley hammer to make target hammers for my Single Six size frames. Although I take off about half of the flare just because I like the look.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Hondo44":wlosrhv3 said:
flatgate,

That's a real beauty! I noticed that you also removed that ugly web behind the trigger.

Good Eye! Yes, and the trigger "sets back" further than original. I welded up the hammer and cut in a half cock notch and removed the "reverse indexing pawl". I also modify the lockwork so the gun can be loaded on half cock w/o the lockwork being "blocked".

Gosh, I wish I had access to bluing tanks.........my grip frame needs some "color".

flatgate

Hondo44

Hawkeye
flatgate,

I just did my first New Vaguero like that! A friend came to me with a gun "bullet proofed" by Bob Munden. I'm not into fast draw but it was interesting to see another man's work. He removes the transfer bar and installs a longer frame mounted firing pin. (He also removed the chamber alignment detent, I guess to eliminate all possible friction.) The problem was: with hammer down and gate open when loading and unlaoding, the firing pin catches on the case rims reguiring the hammer to be held off the pin to rotate the cylinder. Power Custom of course makes a hammer with 1/2 cock notch but not the new longer Colt style. So welding a bump on his hammer to cut a notch into was the easy solution. He also wanted a skinny Colt type trigger offset to the left. That was easy and I removed the web as well.

I like your gun with SS grip frame. Without color case hardening, full blue Rugers can be a little plain. Most of mine have SS grip frames. Like myself, I can tell you enjoy maxamizing the potential of your Rugers as much as shooting them. And you get to live in WY as well!

flatgate

Hawkeye
Hondo44":35erv1f0 said:
I like your gun with SS grip frame.

You missed my comment about bluing tanks. My 50th .44's grip frame is a carbon steel Super Blackhawk model. They come "in the white". I'd love to get it blued!

I have a few guns with "odd colored" grip frames...

357573210.jpg

This pair of .32's sport one brassie and one stainless grip frame. Again, both have half cock loading, etc.........

flatgate

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I meant to comment on that too. I have a grip frame in the white as well. I know WY is pretty spread out. But I have a local smith who'll "dunk" parts in his bluing tanks when I need it. I prepare them so there's no real work for him. I had two steel grip frames silver plated. They look nice with a little patina on them!

I have an alloy XR3 equipped 3 screw 22 with worn blue finish that I had Brass plated.