XR3-Red grip frame on a new model Flat top

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Three50seven

Buckeye
Is there any reason a regular aluminum XR3-Red grip frame couldn't be put on one of the new model flat top guns with the steel XR3 frame? I have a .44spl with the XR3 frame and it's not comfortable for me.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
As long as you're lining up production vintage, then no, there's no reason they can't be transplanted.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
You WANT aluminum?

So far as I know they do interchange, to a point. The Blackhawk grip frame has two lugs that must be cut off to fit up to the Flat Top's cylinder frame. Hole patterns are the same.

Bob Wright

Three50seven

Buckeye
Bob Wright said:
You WANT aluminum?

So far as I know they do interchange, to a point. The Blackhawk grip frame has two lugs that must be cut off to fit up to the Flat Top's cylinder frame. Hole patterns are the same.

Bob Wright

No, I want the larger more comfortable XR3-Red grip frame. Steel vs. aluminum is of no consequence to me. If anything, the aluminum will reduce the weight a little which is ok by me.

I think I'll post a WTB ad here in the classifieds and see what I can find.

contender

Ruger Guru
NM to NM will work,,,! Due to the trigger return spring parts OM to NM isn't as easy to do as NM to OM is. If you used a NM g/f you'd have to make a trigger return spring adapter for an OM Flattop.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
contender said:
NM to NM will work,,,! Due to the trigger return spring parts OM to NM isn't as easy to do as NM to OM is. If you used a NM g/f you'd have to make a trigger return spring adapter for an OM Flattop.

NM grip frame to NM Flat Top does require removing the lugs that extend into the rear of the cylinder frame.

Bob Wright

contender

Ruger Guru
Oops,,, I forgot about that detail.
Bob is correct. I had forgotten about the "change" made to the grip frames & main frames a few years ago.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
True, Lugs are a small issue that needs correcting. Very easy.

Grip Frame Projections shown here on this Bisley grip frame pointing to the right just above the two rear trigger guard screws and both sides of where the hammer base would be. To fit grip frames with projections to guns w/o the cut out in the cyl frame, just saw or grind off the projections on XR3-RED & Bisley grip frames:

413005499.jpg

Photo by G2.

Grip Frame Ear Changes to be aware of: the ear height around the base of the hammer varies on all grip frame ears slightly due to hand fitting at the factory, but there was one specific big height increase. To simplify production in 1997, Ruger increased the height of the standard cylinder frame mating surfaces on both sides of the hammer 1/16" to match the Bisley model frame ears so any style grip frame could be assembled to any main frame. Therefore the ears on all other standard grip frames after 1997 had to be made ~ 1/16" taller as well. So there's basically two sizes: as short as .530" pre 1997 and as tall as .590" after 1997. Measure from the very top edge of the grip panel to the top of the ears. That's why swaps are simplified if any acquired grip frame matches the vintage of your Ruger that you want to put it on. This also affects the hammer base fit to the grip frame ears which should be flush.

The grip frame 'ears':
orig.jpg

orig.jpg