WWG Wolverine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

whichwatch

Blackhawk
Anyone seen the "Wolverine" conversion by Wild West Guns? Appears that it started life as the Toklat. Pretty slick gun. Has had moon clips added to accept .45 ACP, .45 Win. Mag and .460 Rowland. I saw it the WWG website this morning.

mikewriter

Blackhawk
I had heard about it, need to go to the WWG site and look at it. Sounds interesting. I still have some .460 Rowland ammo I didn't sell with my 1911.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
The Wolverine is what Talo was emulating when they came up with the Toklat. Cheaper to get a Toklat and have it moon clipped by TK customs than to buy a Wolverine or have your SRH converted by WWG. I have one of my Alaskans moon clipped. Almost never shoot anything but 454C in it though. No idea why you'd bother with Rowland unless you had a conversion pistol to go with it, not like you're picking that up on the shelf at your local gun shop.

whichwatch

Blackhawk
I figure by the time you buy a Toklat and have the conversion done you would have about $1900 invested. I'm not sure they started with the Toklat, maybe the SRH in .454., either way it's $$$.

I emailed WWG yesterday and they said the conversion package is $900. Here's the response regarding what it includes:

Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2015 1:15 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: Wolverine Conversion

What all does the conversion include?

WWG response: This includes milling/lightening of the frame and barrel, recoil porting, action job, moon clip conversion and moon clips.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
whichwatch said:
I'm not sure they started with the Toklat, maybe the SRH in .454.

It wasn't clear in my first response above - but I'll be direct this time in saying that no, WWG doesn't start with Toklats to do their Wolverines. They start with standard models. One dead giveaway - ALL of the Toklats utilize the new 3 screw front sight, which requires a machined tenon cut into the top of the barrel to engage the sight base. The Wolverine uses a shortened quick replace front sight from the older models, which doesn't mate up with that type of tenon. The top of the barrel at the muzzle of a toklat has a flat, corresponding to that tenon and front sight arrangement - the Wolverine does not.

wolverine1.png

whichwatch

Blackhawk
Varminterror said:
whichwatch said:
I'm not sure they started with the Toklat, maybe the SRH in .454.

It wasn't clear in my first response above - but I'll be direct this time in saying that no, WWG doesn't start with Toklats to do their Wolverines. They start with standard models. One dead giveaway - ALL of the Toklats utilize the new 3 screw front sight, which requires a machined tenon cut into the top of the barrel to engage the sight base. The Wolverine uses a shortened quick replace front sight from the older models, which doesn't mate up with that type of tenon. The top of the barrel at the muzzle of a toklat has a flat, corresponding to that tenon and front sight arrangement - the Wolverine does not.

wolverine1.png

Right you are, it does not start out as a Toklat. I talked (email) with WWG and they will convert a Toklat but do start with standard SRH, $900 to convert your existing gun and $1900 if you buy the gun from them. Either way it's an interesting gun but having the Toklat I think maybe I'll leave it in it's original form, although an action job may be in it's future.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
Muzzle blast is bad enough from 454, I wouldn't get one ported. The Wolverine front sight base is hideous, and I don't like the topline milling work.

I have two WWG's, wouldn't hesitate to get another, but it wouldn't be a Wolverine. I also have two Toklats - wonderful machines.