WWB .45 ACP ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ed Hill

Bearcat
Anyone have problems with tight fit while loading and even tighter fit trying to remove fired casings of subject ammo?
This is in regard to S&W 625-8 JM revolver. ( I also own a Ruger Security Six and Mark lll )
Three cylinders of said revolver were difficult to load, almost like they were were undersized. After firing they were so tight I had to use a wooden stick to remove them from chambers.
Also had some Ga. Arms .45acp that were the same.
Sent gun to smith describing this problem. They checked the yoke and cylinder rod, made some adjustment and returned gun.
Tried to load some of the WWB, did not fire any of it but same problem, especially the three same charge holes.
Returned WWB to store and bought a box of Remington .45 ACP. No problems whatsoever, loading or unloading after firing.
Sorry for such a long post. Any suggestions?
Thanks

OldSmoke

Bearcat
WWB .45 ACP has always been good, inexpensive, reliable ammo for me - if not a bit smokey - but I burn ACP ammo in ACP pistols - not revolvers.

If only 3 chambers of the cylinder were tight and the others weren't, what does that tell you about the consistency of the chambers?

I don't mean to sound snide. I've just always wondered why revolvers are so often chambered for cartridges that weren't designed for revolvers. (An old pet peeve.)

Then again, maybe you got a bum box of ammo from an unreliable source. ?!?!?!?!?

By the way, I'm a fan of S&W pistols and have always been impressed with their quality and fit and finish. I own a number of them and have never had a single issue with any of them.

Ed Hill

Bearcat
Thanks for the reply Old Smoke.
I didn't consider your remark about calibers to guns snide at all.
Your are correct in regard to what the three particular charge holes suggest.
I think they are probably a little under spec. for inner dia.
I suppose Remington just happens to fit them due to their (Remington's) specs.
Guess I will have to send the gun back to Smith again and have them check
the i.d. of charge holes. Had thought I made it clear in my list of problems when I first sent it to them.
Guess I have been reluctant to face the inevitable.
Just thought that with my explanation to them to begin with would have automatically brought about a check on cylinder.
Once again, thank you very much.

gmaske

Bearcat
I have used a bunch of WWB in 45ACP but it was all in a 1911. Never had a problem other than it is dirty to shoot. I too love Smiths and have two of them. I think you are right that the chambers might be a bit on the tight side. The WWB might be a bit on the fat side too. Hope they make it right for you. Smith & Wesson's are great guns. The ones I have have the best trigger pulls and can't be beat shooting single action.

GaSidewinder

Bearcat
have you checked to see if the subject cylinders are dirty. Firing those short stubby cartridges in the revolver could cause a build up rather quickly especially with dirty firing ammo. I would run a brass bore brush through them first before going back to the factory. Also the 45 acp headspaces (normally) on the case mouth and does not allow crimping when used in the automatics. At least not a roll crimp. Is the Georgia Arms ammo reloads? If so I am wondering if they are getting the case mouths back down to specs to allow you easy loading in the revolver.

Ordguy

Single-Sixer
Did you use full or half moon clips ?

In my, similiar to yours, 25-2 I found the half moon clips were easier to load and extract than full moon. Getting the cases off the clips has always taken a bit of leverage for me.

I also shoot a lot of 45 AR handloads in my revolver. Haven't seen any factory ammo in the local stores in a long time.

GaSidewinder

Bearcat
Are the revolvers chambered for the 45 acp or the 45 auto rim as the rim ammo doesn't require half moon clips. I noticed the outside spec's for the case mouth on the auto rim is .472 and the acp is .473

An extra thousandth might be the culprit.

nn

Single-Sixer
I've not had a problem with WWB in a revolver. I have had the unfired rnds have the bullet pull some from recoil, however.

Ed Hill

Bearcat
Hello everyone, and thanks to all of you that replied to my original post, WWB .45 acp.
Contacted S&W customer service this a.m. and spoke with Paul. Very nice fellow. Checked back where I had sent gun in originally with noted problem and he recounted what had been done at that time.
I asked what he recommended and he told me to send it back and they would take another look at the charge holes and correct the problem.
Said he would be sending me a label for shipment to them.
Accolades to Smith customer service. :D

Latest posts