WTS used books: outdoors, guns/hunting, military hist (CA)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

For sale, used books on various outdoor-related topics. All prices INCLUDE SHIPPING TO CONUS: if you live in HI, AK, or Canada, let me know your zip or postal code and I'll figure out if there is any extra for shipping (usually minimal since I figure it from the furthest part of the US from CA, Maine).

I DON'T DO PayPal, but do take cash, MOs, and checks if you can wait a couple of days for them to clear my bank, or if you have bought from me before (remind me). An "I'll take book #__" here on this thread will reserve the book, then I'll PM you my address for payment. Please ask questions by PM, not here. I'll answer any and all. It helps me if you identify your handle or the book(s) you want on your payment so I don't get confused.

TAKE $1 OFF EACH BOOK AFTER THE FIRST ONE YOU ORDER.

Thanks for reading!

Civil War books

1) "The Bloodiest Day: the Battle of Antietam" by Ronald H. Bailey. A volume of the Time-Life Civil War series that covers the pivotal Union turning back of Lee's invasion of the North, the battle in which more Americans were killed than in any day before or since (Thank God!). The moves that led to the battle, the battle in detail, and its political and international effects. 8 1/2x11" HB new cond. 176 pp. heavily illus. w/b/w photos, maps and color repros of contemporary magazine illustrations. $7

2) SPF "Sherman, Fighting Prophet" by Lloyd Lewis. Complete original 1932 biography of "Uncle Billy" from his undistinguished early Army career to his destruction of a South he had learned to love. HB 702 p[p. in very good reading cond. w/worn covr and no dust jacket, illus. wb/w photos and maps. $6

3)SPF "Terrible Swift Sword" by Bruce Catton. Second volume of Catton's Pulitzer winning Civil War history covers the war in 1862 including the "border" campaigns, Wilson's Creek, Shiloh, Elkhorn Tavern, the Shenandoah Valley campaigns, the "Seven Days," Second Bull Run, and Antietam. Excellent, clear writing. HB 570 pp. illus w/colored detail maps, in exc. cond. no dust jacket. $7

Outdoor Adventure and War Books

4) SPF "Adventure: Thrilling Tales of Discovery" ed. by John Richard Stevens. 21 tales of discovery of treasures and lost cities, most of them true, by writers like Kipling, Livingston, Stanley, Roosevelt, Rider Haggard, etc. Biographical sketches of the authors. DON'T buy this if you hate spiders, snakes, or cannibals! HB new cond. 348 pp. illus w/b/w photos. $6

5) "The Great Atlantic Air Race" by Percy Rowe. WWII RAF veteran's history of the attempts to win the Northcliffe Prize for crossing the Atlantic by air, America to Ireland, beginning before WWI and ending in 1919. Pioneer planes and pilots, illus w/40 B/w photos HB 224 pp. in exc. cond. w/worn dust jacket. $6

6)SPF "Rickenbacker" by Edward V. Rickenbacker. Autobiography of auto racer, WWI fighter ace, WWII hero, and airline pioneer from his Texas boyhood into the Cold War 1960s. HB 458 pp. in exc. reading shape illus. w/many photos of racing cars, classic planes, historic people, and "Eddie's" many awards. No dust jacket. $6

7) "The Best War Stories" 30 famous FICTIONAL war stories that cover from Sparta to WWII by authors such as Ambrose Bierce, James M. Cain, Rudyard Kipling, Geoffrey Household, James Michener, and Irwin Shaw. HB 400 pp. in exc. cond. w/exc. dust jacket. $5

8) "The Terrible Hours" by Peter Maas. Award winning historian ("The Valachi Papers," "Serpico") accounts the career of USN Commander "Swede" Momsen, who pioneered the rescuing of sunken sub's crews. Culminates in the dramatic rescue of the "S-class" sub Squalus' crew, a fascinating story. HB 259 pp. in exc. cond. w/exc. dust jacket illus. w/b/w photos. $6

9)SPF "The Treasure Hunter" by Robin Moore and Howard Jennings. Robin Moore usually writes fiction, but this is his biography of his friend the famous treasure hunter. Caribbean and South American pirate gold and Inca treasures! HB 269 pp. exc. cond. w/no dust jacket, illus. w/b/w photos and maps. $6

Western History books

10) SPF "Into the West: from Reconstruction to the Final Days of the American Frontier" by James M. MacPherson. Pulitzer winner's picture history of the 19th Century West. Text supports historic photos and paintings of the phase of westward expansion from the Civil War to the Oklahoma Land Rush. Oversized HB 10x10" in new cond. w/new cond dust jacket. $6

11) SPF "Lewis and Clark, Partners in Discovery" by John Bakeless. A combined biography of the two partners by the best biographer of Daniel Boone, written just after WWII. PB 503 pp. in very good reading cond. w/cover wear, illus. w/George Catlin drawings. $4

12) "A Scattered People: An American Family Moves West" by Gerald McFarland. The history of a fairly typical American family from 1630s New England to their arrival in California in the early 20th Century. Migration/covered wagon stories, frontier stories, war stories. Highly illustrated with b/w photos. HB 302 pp. exc/new cond. w/exc. dust jacket $5

13) SPF "Undaunted Courage: Meriwether Lewis, Thomas Jefferson, and the Opening of the American West" by Stephen Ambrose. Prize-winning account of the Lewis and Clark "Voyage of Discovery"--wonderful reading. Heavily illus. w/maps and b/w repros of contemporary sketches and paintings, some of them Lewis's own. PB 521 pp. in exc. cond. $6

Books on US Special Forces

14)SPF "Hunters and Shooters: an Oral History of the US Navy SEALS in Vietnam" ed. by Bill Fawcett. 15 memoirs of SEALS' service in Vietnam. Written with the cooperation of the UDT/SEAL Association and Museum. HB 338 pp. in exc.cond w/VG (taped) dust jacket illus w/b/w photos, maps. $5

15) SPF"Brave Men, Dark Waters" by Orr Kelly. History of the SEALS from the WWII UDT teams thru Korea, Vietnam, Panama, and the First Gulf War. HB 302 pp in exc./new cond. illus. w/b/w photos, exc. dust jacket. $6

16)SPF "SEALS in Action" by Kevin Dockery. Descriptions of SEAL selection, training. and operations from WWII thru the Persian Gulf wars. HB 320 pp. in exc. cond. w/small tears in the dust jacket. illus. w/b/w photos. $5

17) SPF"War Stories of the Green Berets" by Hans Halberstadt. 30 descriptions of SF operations from Vietnam thru Afghanistan from veterans and serving SF soldiers. HB new cond. 320 pp. illus w/b/w and color photos. $6

18) SPF"Shadow Warriors: Inside the Special Forces" by Tom Clancy and Gen. Carl Stiner. Best-selling history of the US Special Forces from the inside with a former SOCOM commander. Mission descriptions and details from 1944 to 2002. Quality PB 548 pp. in exc. cond. $6

Military History books

19) SPF "1776" by David McCullough. Best seller by a prize-winning historian. The whole story of the "year that made the US": war, politics, propaganda, espionage. A FEARLESS future Secretary of the Treasury, guerrilla war against Germans in New Jersey, etc. A "very close-run thing", the birth of a nation. PB 386 pp. illus. w/maps, b/w photos of historical portraits and illustrations. Exc. cond. $6

20) "1777: The Year of the Hangman" by John S. Pancake. U. Alabama historian's very complete history of the year the British and Tories believed would break the American revolt and result in the mass execution of the traitors. Instead they got Bennington, Saratoga, and an ongoing struggle. Exc. descriptions of the armies and the battles, including the battles against the cold, hunger, and disease. PB 275 pp. illus w/maps in exc. cond. but with library discard stamps and stickers. $5

21) "The American Black Chamber" by Herbert O. Yardley. The history of "MI-8" the secret intelligence service set up in the early 1920s and shut down by Pres. Hoover's administration ("Gentlemen don't read other people's mail!") in 1929. Yardley's 1931 expose started a controversy that is still with us. Quality PB (Naval Institute Press facsimile) 375 pp. illus w/b/w photos and document facsimiles. In exc. reading cond. but a discarded library book with stamps. $6

22) "Slow Dance to Pearl Harbor: A Tin Can Ensign in Pre-War America" by Cpt. William Ruhe, USN ret. Famous WWII submariner's memoir of service in "The Old Navy" as a new ensign on a modern destroyer--not a bad apprenticeship for a future pigboat skipper, I suspect). HB 229 pp. in exc./new cond. w/exc dust jacket. $6

23) "The United States Air Force, A Turbulent History" by Herbert Malloy Mason, Jr. From the first sorties against Pancho Villa to the end of the Vietnam War, the Air Force has fought for a place in the sky....and the defense budget. A detailed history w79 b/w photos by a USMC vet and aviation authority. Hardbound 287 pp. exc. cond. w/exc. dust jacket. $5

24)SPF "The US Marine Corps" by Merrill Bartlett and Jack Sweetman. The Naval Institute's history of the USMC from the Revolution to the end of the 20th Century. Unusual in it's detailed coverage of the Confederate Marines and the USMC counter-insurgencies "between the wars" in Nicaragua, Haiti, and Cuba. HB 8 1/2x11" 327 pp. in exc. cond w/no dust jacket, heavily illus w/b/w photos and maps. $7

25) "Secret Service: the Hidden History of an Enigmatic Agency" by Phillip Melanson and Peter Stevens. Complete history of the Secret Service from its anti-counterfeiting origins in 1865 to its secretive multi-roles today. HB 375 pp. new cond. w/new dust jacket. $6

Books on Guns and Hunting

26) SPF "The Small Arms Lexicon and Encyclopedia" by Col Chester Mueller and John Olson. Very complete reference to the world of firearms--firearms terms and names of types from A-Z w/ complete illustrations and 25 technical appendixes of firearms measurement, ballistics, and standards. 8 1/2x11" HB in exc/new cond. w/exc. dist jacket 309 pp. illus w/b/w photos and drawings. $8

27) "Handguns '94" ed. by Jack Lewis. Annual publication of Handguns Magazine which includes test so 13 handguns new that year plus articles on historic handguns and reloading. Softbound 8 1/2x11" 336 pp. illus. w/b/w photos and tables. $4

28) "The Shooter's Bible #82" by Stoeger Publishing. 1991 catalog from Stoeger that contains 8 articles plus guns, ammo, and accessories of that year. I like the "Mannlicher Schoenauer: Rifles for Adventurers" and "Classic Handguns That Have Stood the Test of Time" articles. Softbound exc. cond. 576 pp. illus. w/b/w photos and tales. $5

29) "Gun Buyers Guide 2008" Guns Magazine's annual that includes 14 articles on new and traditional guns, tests of new models, plus a buyer's guide to all models available that year. Softbound 8 1/2x11" 178 pp. in very good reading cond. illus w/b/w photos. $3

30)SPF "Big Game Animals of North America" by Jack O'Connor and George G. Goodwin. Famous hunter and gun writer and famous mammal expert team up to profile 20 big game animals. Each species has O'Connor's stories of how to hunt that species and Goodwin's description of its life cycle, plus extensive pen-and-ink illustrations of tracks and animals in their habitat and full-page reproductions of paintings of each. HB 10x14" 264 pp. in exc. cond. w/light cover wear, no dust jacket. $12

31)SPF "Hunting Big Game Trophies: A North American Guide" by Tom Brakenfield. "Outdoor Life's" guide to trophy hunting. Explains scoring systems and how/where to seek a trophy head plus outdoor photography, field care of trophies, how to choose a taxidermist, and how to set up a trophy room. HB New in publisher's shrink wrap 400 pp. illus w/over 160 photos, maps, drawings and score charts. $8

32) "American Bird Decoys" by William J. Mackey, Jr. Illustrated history of American decoys by a prominent collector. Arranged by period and region; includes waterfowl, pigeons/doves, and shorebirds from the period when those were hunted. HB 8 1/2x11" in exc.cond. w/worn/torn dust jacket. Over 200 decoy illustrations 8 in full color. $6

Misc Hobby books

33) "Montgomery, Ward, and Co. 1895 Catalog #57" Repro by Dover Books. A faithful copy of the famous "Wish Book". I ut it here because of the guns, accessories, ammo and reloading tools shown, but it really has something for the whole family. A different world. Softbound 8 1/2x11" w/worn cover but exc. text and illustrations (line drawings and prints). $5

34) SPF "Chapman Piloting: Seamanship and Small Boat Handling 57th ed." by Elbert S. Maloney. This is THE reference book on small boat operation recommended by the USCG Auxiliary and US Power Squadrons. HB in exc. cond w/exc. dust jacket 624pp. EXTENSIVELY illus. w/color charts, maps, tables, diagrams and photos. VERY HEAVY to ship so $10

35) SPF "Wrist Watches: The Collector's Guide to Selecting, Acquiring, and Enjoying New and Vintage Wrist Watches" by Isabella de Lisle Selby. All about collecting watches: history, types, how to evaluate condition and value, terminology of the trade. HB 9x12" 80 pp. in new/exc. cond. w/small gift inscription on flyleaf, new dust jacket, extensively illus. w/color photos. $6

Thanks for reading my (usual) long post! Don't forget to take $1 off each book you order after the first one.

Mike Armstrong

krw

Blackhawk
I'll take 10-11-13-35. PM me with total and address to send funds. Thanks krw

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Just a note to say an emphatic "THANK YOU" for the eight books I purchased , which arrived today. Special packaging and done very timely, with a marvelous offering of books. Will look for your next ad here in the classifieds..........All the Best, MIKE 8) Splitz :wink: