WTS: Used Books on Western History, Firearms History, and Western Art.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FS: used history and firearms books centered on the Old West period. ALL PRICES INCLUDE SHIPPING TO CONUS ZIP CODES. I take cash and personal checks or money orders made out to me. I DON'T TAKE credit cards, paypal, third party checks, or online payments like applepay.

Only way to reserve (order) a book or books is to put an "I'll take books #_____" ON THIS AD THREAD. Then I'll mark the book or books as sold (SPF) on the ad, acknowledge your order on this thread, and PM you my "legal" (first) name and address for payment.

Please ask questions or make comments only by PM--save the ad for orders. TAKE $1 OFF THE PRICE OF ANY BOOK OR BOOKS YOU ORDER AFTER THE FIRST ONE--I get a break on the postage for multiple book orders, so I pass a little back to you.

Firearms and Shooting Sports History

1)SPF "Small Arms of the World, 10th Revised Edition" by W.H.B Smith and Joseph E. Smith.

2) "Arms and Equipment of the Union" by Eds. of Time-Life Books. A complete survey of the topic with color photos of everything--firearms from revolvers to siege mortars, cutlery from mess kits to sabres, leather goods from boots to saddles, uniforms, flags, badges, medals and medical instruments. The photos of arms and other equipment are given a proper context with MANY contemporary b/w photos and painted scenes of the gear in use in CW combat and camp life as the soldiers and famous artists and photographers of the day saw it. Authors of the subsections of the book include some very experienced CW "enactors," the most meticulous nerds of all time! HB 319 pp. 9x11" format exc. cond except for a gift inscription on the title page and very minor fading of the front cover. $9

3) SPF "Guns of the American West" by Dennis Adler.

4)SPF "The Gun Digest 29th Anniversary Deluxe Edition" by John. T. Amber.

5) SPF "The Sporting Shotgun: A User's Handbook, 2nd ed." by Robin Marshall-Bale.

6) SPF "Optics for the Hunter" by John Barsness.

History of the West

7) SPF "The American Frontier: Pioneers, Settlers, and Cowboys, 1800-1899" by William C. Davis.

8) SPF "The Lance and the Shield: The Life and Times of Sitting Bull" by Robert M. Utley.

9) SPF "In His Brother's Shadow: The Life of Thomas Ward Custer" by Roy Bird.

10) "Louis L'Amour's Wild West: an Illustrated Celebration of America's Favorite Writer of Westerns" by Bruce Wexler. Tells a lot about how we have seen the West thru L'Amour's many novels, whose realism changed the literary reputation of the "Western." L'Amour was the real deal himself; he'd seen the West through the doors of many boxcars and between the ears of many nags, and his many books dealt mainly with real Western materials like work, personal loss, and lawlessness. Outdoor work, which dominates any rural life, is a constant presence in his novels, even if the drama comes mainly from human conflicts. This book does a lot of "telling" of L'Amour's life and how he worked experience into stories. But it does a lot of "showing" too: over 150 specially-researched illustrations of Western objects and people, including truly beautiful full-color two-page spreads of Western guns. HB 192 pp. new cond 8 1/2x11" format illus w/b/ and color photos, repros of color paintings, and short bios of Western characters who were or might have been L'Amour's inspirations for some of HIS characters. $18

11) SPF "The Gunfighters" by James D. Horn.

12) SPF "The Illustrated Life and Times of Billy the Kid" by Bob Bose Bell.

Thanks for reading my long post! DON'T FORGET to take $1 off the cost of any book or books you order after the first one!

Mike Armstrong

Last edited: