WTS: used books on US/world history, outdoors, aviation

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FS: various used books on historical and outdoors topics. ALL PRICES INCLUDE SHIPPING TO CONUS ZIP CODES. To order/reserve a books or books put an "I'll take book(s) ___" ON THIS THREAD (PMs don't count for ordering, use them for comments and questions only please). Earliest time/date stamp on a posting HERE gets the book!

When you order a book or books, I'll acknowledge the order on this thread, mark your books SPF on the ad, and send you a PM with my "legal" (first) name and address for payment.

I take cash, MOs, and personal checks made out to me. I don't take PayPal, credit cards, or instant payment plans (OK, so I'm a dinosaur; when I was raised up "pocket music" was the going standard for payment...we really didn't entirely trust paper, let alone electrons!).

TAKE $1 OFF the second book you order and any after that (I save a tad on postage with multiple book orders).

American history titles

1) SPF "Beyond the Hundredth Meridian: John Wesley Powell and the Second Opening of the West" by Wallace Stegner.

2) "The Port Chicago Mutiny" by Robert L. Allen. Investigative reporter's history of the greatest home front disaster of WWII when an explosion at a California naval ammo loading depot killed over 300 sailors, including over 200 black ammo loaders, and the "mutiny" of those loaders fearful of their work conditions. HB 214 pp. slight cover wear, no dust jacket, illus w/b/w photos, map. $5

3) "Enter the Dragon: China's Undeclared War Against the US in Korea, 1950-51" by Russell Spurr. Far East expert and WWII Burma vet's history of the Chinese "intervention" in Korea that preserved North Korea (Lucky us!). Detailed accounts of the background, battles, and personalities that led to the stalemate we still endure. HB 358 pp. exc. cond. illus w/b/w photos, maps, an charts. $6

4) SPF "The Coldest Winter" by David Halberstam.

World history titles

5) "The Peasant Prince: Thaddeus Kosciuszko and the Age of Revolution" by Alex Storozynski. A Polish revolutionary who showed up on Benjamin Franklin's doorstep in 1776 and volunteered to help the American cause. He became the most important military engineer of the Continental Army, designing the defenses at West Point among others. Later he managed an African American spy ring in the southern colonies against the British and Loyalists. After the Revolution he became a passionate fighter and advocate for Polish independence . By a Pulitzer Prize-winning Polish American journalist. HB 385 pp. new cond. illus w/b/w repros of historic paintings.$7

6) "To Lose a Battle: France, 1940" by Alistair Horne. How did the French, who held out so valiantly against a German invasion in WWI, manage to lose their nation in a few weeks in WWII? This book, by a prominent British military historian, "anatomizes" their failures--tactical, strategic, and especially political. Disunity turns deadly. HB 665 pp. exc. reading cond. but no dust jacket and some cover fading. Illus w/MANY historic b/w photos, battle maps. $6

7) SPF "Man in the Shadows: Inside the Middle East Crisis By A Man Who Led the Mossad" by Efrain Halevy.

Outdoors topics

8) SPF "African Game Trails: An Account of the African Wanderings of an American Hunter Naturalist" by Theodore Roosevelt.

9) SPF "The Ultimate Desert Handbook: A Manual for Desert Hikers, Campers, and Travelers" by Mark Johnson.

10) "A Fine and Pleasant Misery" by Patrick McManus. Humorous essays on the fun and foolishness of fishing, fisherman, and fish by the"Field and Stream" and "Sports Illustrated" staff humor writer. PB 209 pp in exc. cond. $5

11) "Great Fishing Tackle Catalogs of the Golden Age" ed. Samuel Melner and Herman Kessler. Full-sized repros of famous tackle mfrs. catalogs, pre-1890, 1890-99, 1900-09. 1910-19, 1920-31. 43 of the msot famous mfrs. of that period from John Cheek of London thru Thos. Chubb, Carles Orvis, Hardy, H-I, Marshall Field, The Creek Chub Bait Co., and L.L. Bean. Each section contains commentary from a well-known outdoor writer of that period. HB 8 1/2x11" format 351 pp. exc/new cond. illus w/many line drawings and lithos of tackle. $10

12) 2 "In-Fisherman" species-specific fishing "Books of Strategies" "Bass" and "Pike". "Pike" covers all pike environments including US, Canada and Europe. "Bass" covers all the major species of black bass in the US. All kinds of approaches from live bait to flies, all kinds of waters from farm ponds to Great Lakes. 2 quality PBs, total of 480 pp. in exc. cond. w/many b/w photos, recipes, cleaning step-by-step, diagrams of rigs, "fish maps" of characteristic bodies of water. $7 for both volumes.

13) "The Complete Book of Freshwater Fishing" by P. Allan Parsons. Classic "Outdoor Life" publication that covers freshwater fishing back when spinning gear was The Newest Thing! All the basics we do today but with actual US-made tackle! 16 pages of color plates of fishing flies. HB 232 pp. exc. reading cond. but no dust jacket illus w/many line drawings of rigs, reels, knots, and fish. $5

14) "Plank Cooking: The Essence of Natural Wood" by Scott and Tiffany Haugen. Grilling food on a soaked natural wood plank is an ancient Native American technique modernized here to modern grills and foods. Wood types and their preparation, over 100 recipes beautifully described and illustrated, from appetizers to wild game. Softbound 7x9" format 150 pp. new cond. illus w/many full color photos, diagrams $6

15) SPF "New Tastes from Texas" by Stephan Pyles.

Aviation titles

16) SPF "Warbird Tech Vol. 5: North American P-51 Mustang"

17) SPF "Fight's On: Airborne With The Aggressors" by Tim Laming.

18) SPF "Modern Military Aircraft in Combat" ed. by Robert Jackson.

19) SPF "Vietnam: The War in the Air" by Rene Francillon.

20) SPF "Janes Pocket Book of Light Aircraft" ed. John W.R. Taylor.

THANKS for reading my long post! Don't forget to take $1 off the cost of any book you order after the first one1

Mike Armstrong

Latest posts