WTS: used books on US/Western history, Civil War, etc.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FS: used books on various topics: US/Western history, Civil War, exploration and adventures, etc.

PRICES INCLUDE SHIPPING TO CONUS ZIP CODES. I try to ship the next mail day after I receive your payment.

I take cash, personal checks made out to me, and all MOs. I DON'T TAKE PayPal and credit cards.

To reserve a book or books, put an "I'll take book(s) #s ____" HERE on this thread as a reply. That's the only way to order. Then I'll reply acknowledging your order, mark the book(s) SPF on the ad, and PM you my "legal" (first) name and address for payment. Questions, comments, and offers by PM only, please.

AFTER THE FIRST BOOK YOU ORDER, TAKE $1 OFF THE PRICE OF ANY OTHERS YOU ORDER (I save some on multiple book shipping).

Civil War books

1) SPF "The Stonewall Brigade" by James I. Robertson, Jr.

2) SPF "The Civil War: An American Iliad" by Newman and Eisenschiml.

3) SPF "All for the Union: the Civil War Diary and Letters of Elisha Hunt Rhodes" by E.H. Rhodes

4) SPF "Battle Cry of Freedom: The Oxford History of the Civil War" by James McPherson.

Western/US history

5) SPF "1776" by David McCullough.

6) SPF"Journal of a Trapper: A Hunter's Rambles Among the Wild Regions of the Rocky Mountains, 1834-43" by Osborne Russell.

7) SPF "Undaunted Courage: Meriwether Lewis, Thomas Jefferson, and the Opening of the American West" by Stephen Ambrose. $6

8) "The Path Between the Seas: The Creation of the Panama Canal, 1870-1914" by David McCullough. National Book Award-winning history of the early visions of the Canal, its construction including early attempts, the creation of the nation of Panama, TR's various roles, and the creation of "The Zone." Quality PB 698 pp. exc. cond w/82 b/w photos and two detailed maps. $6

9) SPF "Black Hats and White Hats: Heroes and Villains of the West" by Harold Rabinowitz.

Exploration and Adventure books

10) SPF "1421: The Year The Chinese Discovered America" by Gavin Menzies.

11) SPF "In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship 'Essex'" by Nathaniel Phillbrick.

12) SPF "Lost Cities and Ancient Mysteries of South America" by David Hatcher Childress.

13) "Cold Beer and Crocodiles: A Bicycle Journey Into Australia" by Roff Smith. Overweight US journalist tackles the continent Down Under on a touring bike in 1999. Narrow escapes, crashes, hangovers, storms, and a lot of modern OZ reality from good red wine to bad road rage (and road rash). A lot of Outback. PB 290 pp. exc. reading cond. with gift inscription on flyleaf. Illus w'map, b/w and color photos. $5

14) "The Perfect Storm: A True Story of Man Against the Sea" by Sebastian Junger. Pulitzer-winning war correspondent's account of the loss of a sword fishing boat in a "perfect" 120-mph tempest off New England in 1991. Civilian and USCG heroism and tragedy in spite of the best men can do. The basis of the excellent movie by the same name. PB 246 pp. exc. cond. illus w/b/w photos $5

15) "A Sailor's Life" by Jan de Hartog. If you're thinking of "running away to sea," you probably missed the boat by about a century.... But you can sort of catch it with de Hartog's 1955 classic about a Dutch boy (himself) who embarks right out of grammar school, serves in the Merchant Marine, and ends up a "water cop!" HB 220 exc. cond but slightly worn dust jacket illus w/original drawings. $5

16) "Blue Water Gold Rush: The Odyssey of a California Sea Urchin Diver" by Tom Kendrick. What drove a bunch of California surfers (and a few other lunatics) to brave blue water, black rock, and white sharks? The Japanese NEED their "uni"! The birth and near-death of a major American fishery, which now ships mainly to the US (We apparently now need OUR "uni"!). Quality PB 309 pp. exc. cond. illus. w/maps, charts, b/w photos and original drawings. $5

17) "Shadow Divers: Two Americans Who Risked Everything to Solve One of the Last Mysteries of WWII" by Robert Kurson. Two amateur wreck divers from New Jersey find what they first think is a pipe barge, only to discover that it is the unaccounted-for German U-869! Scary dive sequences and interesting research into missing U-boats. PB 320 pp. exc. cond. w/color photos. $5

18) SPF "Magnetic North: a Trek Across Canada From the Pacific to the Atlantic by Foot, Dogsled, and Canoe" by David Halsey and Diana Landau.

Modern Military History

19) SPF "Ernie's War: The Best of Ernie Pyle's WWII Dispatches" by Ernie Pyle

20) SPF "The United States Marine Corps Story" by J. Robert Moskin.

21) SPF "Soldier Dogs: The Untold Story of America's Canine Heroes" by Maria Godavage.

22) "The New Illustrated Guide to the US Army" by Tim Ripley. Fully illustrated guide to the US Army's weapons and vehicles used in Operation Desert Storm (most still in use today). Specs, history, service records. Includes a guide to Army organization and branches such as Special Forces. Covers all weapons, vehicles, communications, and personal gear like armor and uniforms. HB 159 pp. exc/new cond. illus w/charts and MANY color photos. $4

23) "Six Armies in Europe: From D-Day to the Liberation of Paris" by John Keegan. Famous British military historian's study of the American, Canadian, British, German, Polish, and French armies that fought in Normandy in 1944. A piercing analysis of each and how they affected the outcome of the war. Quality paperback 385 pp. in exc. cond. illus w/maps and b/w photos. $6

Misc titles

24) "The Many Forks in My Many Roads" by Keith D. Bushey. Autobiography of a lifelong Marine "mustang" who also served in many law enforcement roles: game warden, chief sheriff's deputy, undercover agent, marshal, and police commander in LAPD, after beginning as a highschool dropout and would-be burglar. Here's what a FULL career is like. PB 664 pp. new cond. illus w/many b/w photos. $7

25) SPF "Sublime Smoke: Bold New Flavors Inspired by the Old Art of Barbecue" by Cheryl and Bill Jamison.

Thanks for reading my long post! DON'T FORGET to take $1 off the cost of any book or books you order after the first one!

Mike Armstrong

Books #s 5,6, and 9 SPF to bspitt

#s 10, 12, and 19 SPF to Hawkeye28

#s 1,2,3, 4, and 21 SPF to Ruger56

Thanks for buying, guys! PMs on the way to all of you.

Mike Armstrong