WTB Blackhawk 45 convertible--FOUND

Help Support Ruger Forum:

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
My dad's got an itch for a Blackhawk with both 45 Colt and ACP cylinders.

I have one of these myself that I could trade to him, but I'd rather find another so we can each have one.

We're looking locally, and I don't suspect it will be hard to find. Just thought I'd throw it out there to see if any forum members are interested in selling.

I don't have one to sell, but you might want to specify if you are looking for a a large frame Blackhawk, or one of the new mid size ones, depending on if you plan to be using Ruger Only loads in the 45 Colt or not.

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
Good point, Greenmt. I had forgotten that they offer the new flattops in a 45 convertible.

I think Dad would prefer a large frame BH. He doesn't shoot a lot of +P loads, but would like the versatility of being able to do so.

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
Thanks for the replies and PMs. I should have been more specific about what he's looking for. I know he likes mid-length barrels... 5 1/2 and 6 1/2". I believe he wants a New Model (although I'd like to talk him into a 3-screw). He's not a collector, so he'd rather spend a little less money and get one with some minor wear. With that said, he's also fine with brand new guns, if the price is right. This shouldn't be a problem, because he has $500 to spend... or a Taurus Judge to trade.

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
KWYJIBO said:
Thanks for the replies and PMs. I should have been more specific about what he's looking for. I know he likes mid-length barrels... 5 1/2 and 6 1/2". I believe he wants a New Model (although I'd like to talk him into a 3-screw). He's not a collector, so he'd rather spend a little less money and get one with some minor wear. With that said, he's also fine with brand new guns, if the price is right. This shouldn't be a problem, because he has $500 to spend... or a Taurus Judge to trade.
l

In the large frame Blackhawks 4 5/8" and 7.5" are the only options, unless you come across one that has been cut down. I have one of each. Hard to tell which one I like the best. :?

In the mid-frame New Vaquero you have the option of 5.5".

Having said all the above.... and knowing Ruger, I could be wrong. 8)

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
I'm sure that's not true, RP.

I have a .45 convertible New Model Blackhawk, factory original (until I put on the stainless grip frame, that is), with a 5 1/2" barrel. I don't think it's a distributor special, clean-up gun, limited edition, or anything like that. Just a plain ol' model 00463, catalog number BN-455X.

As for the 6 1/2" New Models, maybe they're not available as .45s, but I'm about 90% sure that's the barrel length of my dad's .357/9mm convertible.

contender

Ruger Guru
In the NM 45's, the BN-455X was produced for a while with the warning on the side. According to the RENE,, "a few thousand." There was also a distributor special, KBN-455X,, only 77 made. Kinda rare,,,,! Then, the BN-455X with the warning on the bottom of the barrel from Southport. Later, the BN-455XL was made with the lock in the grip frame. And lastly, there is the BN-455XL with the Newport address.
So, if the 5-1/2" is your desire, then there should be one out there somewhere.

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
Thanks for clarifying, Ty. That Red Eagle is a great resource.

My gun has the warning on the side, and apparently it's a model not as common as I assumed. Not rare enough to be really collectible, though. That's a good thing, because I've not been treating it as such.

I think between the two normally catalogued barrel lengths, Dad would prefer the 4 5/8". I'll ask him what he thinks about stainless ones, though, with Bisley configuration. NoDak reminded me there are some 45 convertibles of that variety in circulation.

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
Thanks for all the leads and offers, folks.

He bought his convertible today. Found a brand-new 4 5/8" at a local shop. I don't know how much he paid--gave a Taurus Judge plus some cash, a good swap in my opinion. He told me the price was a little higher than he expected, but so was the amount they gave for his Taurus, so he's happy.

It was just last night he told me he was looking for one, so I guess he doesn't mess around when he gets his sights set on something. That's probably because Mom gave him the OK, and he wanted to buy it before she changed her mind!

MnBulldog

Single-Sixer
KWYJIBO said:
That's probably because Mom gave him the OK, and he wanted to buy it before she changed her mind!

A very wise man indeed. Good taste in firearms also.
Hope you both get some shooting time together soon

MagnumM

Bearcat
I still have the Davidson's Distributor Special KBN 455X in the safe. Unfired and all original with the shipping sleeve. My sources tell me only 53 were ever produced
Chad H on the RENE is the authority. 77 is still a very limited production amt.