Wrong way to cut down tree

Help Support Ruger Forum:

It looks like something went wrong with the line he had the top tied off too. I actually watched a tree guy do that exact same thing a number of years back at our house... but as the top went past him he dropped his chainsaw that was tied off and pulled on a harness that strapped him tight to the tree trunk and then immediately wrapped his arms around the trunk and held on... the damn tree then proceeded to do a lost worse than the top of that one but he just held on... man earned $2,000 in about 30 seconds.

We had a guy come over to cut off a lower branch that was hanging over our house. He had the branch tied off so it would not hit the house and he was tied to the tree too. When he cut the branch it didn't fall but it came away from the tree and swung right back and hit him in the chest. He dropped his chain saw of course. Something on his saw got broken and he was upset that nobody had caught his falling chainsaw.

Looks like me and some of the other guys at my church are going to have to deal with this one this weekend:

IMG_2136.jpeg

I gave in to 'better judgement' last spring and paid a 'tree guy' to remove a 5' diameter maple that was growing against the side of a large pole barn. The 5' diameter trunk had a 2' rotten core making things even more questionable. The 'tree guy' finally asked me how I'd make the cut if I was doing the job and we went from there. Between the two of us, we made a plan that involed 80' of heavy duty chain and a 15,000 # John Deere just to make sure the tree fell the direction we wanted and fell straight w/o twisting.
The plan went fine and tree fell just as hoped for. No way could that tree have come down w/o hitting the barn unless the tractor was pulling.

contender

Ruger Guru
In my youth,, soon after my time in the Army,, I did a bit of tree work. And I still do a bit for myself. But I'll be the first one to say that trees can whip your butt.

I wasn't able to view the video,, (all I got was ads,) but I can look at the two pictures & know he got whipped up on.

I also know several tree cutting pros. And a few folks here have met one of them at ROCS shows with me (Tyson!)
Tyson is a seriously top level aerial tree cutter. He can climb,, and work the tree properly. I've helped him several times as his ground man. He likes the fact that I know a LOT about tree cutting,, and we have discussed how to work a tree down safely.

Doing it right is an art which requires top level skills.

Bad part is someone had to get him down. Probably the fire department. I probably spent more time getting stupid people out of bad situations that actually fighting fires.

Most times we got them out, eventually, sometimes there was no hurry.

I can close my eyes and see exactly why you never get under a vehicle on a bumper jack.

KIR

Sparks, NV
Neighbor who is a pro cut one for me which was blocking morning sunlight into the kitchen. Buddy gave me $100 for the cut logs.

Attachments

• Tree 042.jpg
    Tree 042.jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Tree 001.jpg
    Tree 001.jpg
    347.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Tree 020.jpg
    Tree 020.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 33