WRF vs WMR in Single Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

omalon

Bearcat
I was at the indoor range with my Ruger Single Six 6.5" and did some testing at 50' with Fed 50g WMR, CCI Maxi Mag 40g HP and CCI WRF 45g JHP and found the Fed's 50 to be the most accurate. The CCI WRF's were shooting a little (1.5") high for some reason, however they were the quietest of the three. The CCI WMR's sounded like 38 specials and grouped just behind the Fed 50's. I love the feeling and sound of WMR's out of the SS.

americal

Hunter
IN late 1960's use to shoot snakes-- turtles in backwaters of Tenn. river :) I had A early super single six-- boy I loved those 22 - magnums :) when it started getting dark a neat flame of fire would show itself :shock: loud is word to--- esp. over water--- WMR's fast little round 8) had a lot of fun & my gun was brand new, bought it in A hardware store in Huntsville, Al. NIB-500series # 6.5 also-- I was happy young boy :D

Wobble

Bearcat
omalon":unbwfom9 said:
The CCI WMR's sounded like 38 specials and grouped just behind the Fed 50's. I love the feeling and sound of WMR's out of the SS.

Ain't it great? Shooting the WMR's feels like a totally different gun compared to the LRs -- noise, recoil, power. Definitely no wimpy gun. When at the range, people give the gun a "WTF" kind of look.

mattsbox99

Hunter
The WRFs are quite a bit slower and lower pressure than WMRs but they work fine. The Fed 50 grainers were designed for silhouette competition to knock over the 100 yard Rams but work fine for any target work. I'm getting the best accuracy and on game performance with the Rem 33 grain Accutips and the Hornady 30 grain V Max, they are loud but very fast.

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
My Single Six seems to be most accurate with the slower moving 45 gr Win .22 mag Dynapoint ammo. I like the .22 mag but the main problem I have is the cost. Have a good bit on hand and it's been a while since I've bought any, but in my area it cost almost as much as 9MM stuff a while back :)

ftr53

Bearcat
WRF works just fine in my '68 6-1/2"-barrelled Single-Six, 4-3/8" Colt Peacemaker .22 and 9422M Trapper. It hits about 1" lower than WMR from the rifle at 25 yards. From the pistols it hits about an inch higher at 15 yards than WMR because of the slower-travelling heavier bullet. I like the brown box Winchester WRFs, but the CCIs work equally well.