Wrangler Accuracy or Lack Thereof

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Enigma

Hunter
This is aimed at Wrangler owners that actually shoot their guns. I'm interested in how they shoot after they have 500 rounds or more through them. I've heard a lot of 'yeah, it shoots 5" groups now, but it will get better after it's broken in.' My question is, do they? I've been overseas for the past five years, and just returned to the States last December. I'm very seriously considering buying a Wrangler, but not if they don't shoot well. I realize that it's an inexpensive, entry-level rimfire revolver, but several people have told me that their Heritage Rough Riders shoot much better than their Wranglers do. They all say that the Wranglers are much, much better in aesthetics, but that the Rough Riders shoot much better.

I don't need (or want) a handgun that shoots patterns, rather than groups.

beentheredone

Single-Sixer
Well, I don't monitor what other people think too much, but my Wrangler is just fine. No target piece, but absolutely great for can-rolling and other plinking and trail gun pursuits.

trapperon

Blackhawk
Swore I would never buy one since I own several single sixes. But upon handling one of the new birdshead wranglers, the feel coupled with the $230 price made it irresistible! The owners manual claims its factory sighted for 15 yards. And mine was dead on for windage and elevation at that range just as noted by ruger. The darn thing just kept getting smoother the more I shot!
A ton of fun and for sure a keeper!
Ron

Swore I would never buy one since I own several single sixes. But upon handling one of the new birdshead wranglers, the feel coupled with the $230 price made it irresistible! The owners manual claims its factory sighted for 15 yards. And mine was dead on for windage and elevation at that range just as noted by ruger. The darn thing just kept getting smoother the more I shot!
Ron

I also would buy the birdshead model if there was ever a single one available.(y)

I said the same thing. However, I ended up with one anyways. My son ordered a standard Wrangler in black cerakote. When we went to pick it up they had sent a birdshead instead. Dealer offered it to him at same price, but he didn't like the looks, and insisted on the regular model. So to make a long story short, I walked out with the birdshead for $213.80, and my son's Wrangle arrived last week.

B2FA3C29-D63C-4862-A82A-2C175A2D6675.jpeg

CB9236FE-2907-42DF-AE1E-9BF5CB8CAED5.jpeg

E9D2D94D-D7E0-42B8-9A16-D24A395667A7.jpeg

I have both. If I were looking for something to shoot small ragged holes at 25 yards, then I would go get a mkIV target or something of that nature. If I'm looking to have a good time shooting cans and other targets, even at 25 yards (which I do) then I would pick the Wrangler. It shoots better. It is made better. I'm not trying to pick on the Heritage but pick it up and compare it side by side. Observe the composition of the frame and you will see what I mean. Plus frankly that safety is ugly as homemade sin. There is something to be said for aesthetics. For 50 bucks or so difference in price, the Wrangler is a much better deal. As usual with rimfires, try different ammo until you can figure out what it likes, and then stick with that.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
I own one and it shoots very well for what it is, a SA rimfire Plinking type firearm. I am not sure why people think a $200 firearm is supposed to shoot "bullseye" competition accuracy? Use an S&W 41 , Hammerelli, or Walther if that's what is needed. I own Ruger three screw Single Sixes and the Wrangler shoots as well, though the Super Single does better in my hands because it has better sights. I dumped the plastic grips for a pair I had from an old 3 screw .357, and they fit perfectly! I do not think the Heritage is bad ,I just think the Ruger is better all around. The maching, finishing (Cerakote) and lack of a ridiculous safety makes it the better choice for me.

Attachments

• Wrangler.jpg
    Wrangler.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 137
I have had a Wrangler for about a year and my entire family enjoys shooting it. It is a great gun for training first time shooters. The loading and unloading take a bit of time but it allows new shooters to gain confidence in "handling" a gun. The one thing I would recommend you do not do is to shoot the .22 shorts. They are quite a bit dirtier and less accurate.

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
I have almost 500 rounds through my Wrangler, still shoots like it did on round one. I get on off hand shots about 1-2 inch groups at 10 yards with a few shots center hits and if I take rest the groups shrink. My Wrangler shoots dead center taking a fine bead of the front sight. I have shot it at 20 yards but rest only and get less than 2 inch group and some hitting bullseye.

mikem2

Single-Sixer
The wrangler needed the cylinder cleaned up, a bit gritty loading, after that, it's a can pinger at 20 paces. The weight is a plus, grips are slippy, and the trigger is ok. Seems to do well with whatever 22 Ammo and really likes bulk Win 1,250fps a lot.