Wow! EV Truck Cross Country Trip - I'm Underwhelmed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

redhawker

Buckeye
Ok, I just finished a 2,300-mile trip towing a trailer using a regular gas-burning full-sized truck. I can't even imagine adding 20 hours to the trip to charge the damn thing every 100 miles. It was bad enough stopping every 400 or so to fill it with gas but at least that only took about 5 minutes each time. But...they're saving the world...right?

RSIno1

Hunter
Gas vs EV real world each towing same route, same trailer, same time. How about the guy who claimed to work in the green energy field and was the first customer to take delivery of a Ford Lightning. He went camping then realized he was in trouble to charge it at the campsite. BTW: The Lightning comes with a 110V charger that you can plug into any regular outlet. It takes 3 days to fully charge the truck - unless you bought the extended range battery then it takes 4 days.

Chief 101

Hunter
Just take a generator and run it all the time you are driving, that should keep the batteries charged fairly well. I do imagine it would have to be a good quality generator...and then all night running at the camp and you are good to go!

The Norseman

Single-Sixer
I'd like one, but get a hold of me when batteries go
1000 miles on a charge in -30 degree weather
in the dead of winter, and be able to recharge
the battery in 15 minutes after checking on
the cattle or driving across the State.

Plus I don't think our economy is doing to bad if people
can pluck down $80,000 for an Electric Vehicle.

It was bad enough stopping every 400 or so to fill it with gas but at least that only took about 5 minutes each time.
In my diesel truck with the 33 gallon tank I can get 750 miles between fill-up’s.

I’ll be getting an electric vehicle as soon as I can regularly go 450 miles between charges.

Chief 101

Hunter
The will not be practical in the Northland where the winter climate can be harsh. Try Southern Az and the hot temps...how well will the a/c work....not so good...Southern Cal...its a maybe....

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Heard a story on the radio about a Dad buying his daughter a used car. They settled on a 2014 Ford EV of some sort (Fusion?) It seems it had a little over 100,000 miles on it. The car was ok for a couple of weeks, then it started acting up. After a couple of trips to the dealer, it was decided the car needed a new battery.

Dad: How much for a new battery? Dealer: $14,000.

Dad: When can we pick up the car? Dealer: We can't get that battery. It's out of date.

I wonder how many EV sales Ford might lose when a couple of stories like that circulate around for a bit.

Rick C

JCK

Bearcat
Unfortunately, it’s not possible to recharge battery while it’s in use.

I don’t know why they don’t pursue the true hybrid technology of locomotive engines. (Or submarines)
A diesel generator powers the batteries that turn the electric motors. The electric motors generate 100% torque at 1rpm and are very efficient for their purpose. A 40hp diesel generator could power an electric truck getting 50-70mpg, and when you reached your destination, would have 90%+ charge when shutdown. It could be powered by biodiesel!
Short bursts of high acceleration and high speed runs of 5-30min possible on battery energy.
Freedom from the electric grid!

But no! We’re being sold a 2-ton iPad with wheels....charge cord, but no charger!

Chief 101

Hunter
I know charging stations are mostly paid for by our tax dollars, what will it cost when we have to pay the true cost of charging? What does it cost to charge a vehicle at this time?

Chief 101

Hunter
So, figure in this rig to travel 300 miles at 2 hour charge every 100 miles the charge at that rate would be 126 bucks and 6 hours...if you figure the 6 hours at minimum pay in some places at 15 bucks/hr would add another 90 bucks to the tab. The gas powered rig starts with 24 gallons at 5 bucks per comes to 120 bucks. at 7 mpg takes it about 170 miles...If I had an ev pickup I would carry a decent generator to help keep it charged...good thing they did this experiment in the nicest weather without heater or a/c. I would think the ev pickup would need to replace the v-8 with a gas or diesel generator, solar panels on the trailer and a wind turbine ...and only travel when the weather is perfect

redhawker

Buckeye
So, figure in this rig to travel 300 miles at 2 hour charge every 100 miles the charge at that rate would be 126 bucks and 6 hours...if you figure the 6 hours at minimum pay in some places at 15 bucks/hr would add another 90 bucks to the tab. The gas powered rig starts with 24 gallons at 5 bucks per comes to 120 bucks. at 7 mpg takes it about 170 miles...If I had an ev pickup I would carry a decent generator to help keep it charged...good thing they did this experiment in the nicest weather without heater or a/c. I would think the ev pickup would need to replace the v-8 with a gas or diesel generator, solar panels on the trailer and a wind turbine ...and only travel when the weather is perfect
I don't know if you mean having the EV hooked up to a generator while you drive would keep it charged but if so I don't believe that is possible. I believe they have to be parked and switched "off" (or whatever is comparable to "off" for an EV) before they can be charged. If you mean carrying a generator to charge it in case you can't find a charging station, that would work but would take just as long, or maybe even longer, depending on the generator's capacity.

Chief 101

Hunter
I don't know if you mean having the EV hooked up to a generator while you drive would keep it charged but if so I don't believe that is possible. I believe they have to be parked and switched "off" (or whatever is comparable to "off" for an EV) before they can be charged. If you mean carrying a generator to charge it in case you can't find a charging station, that would work but would take just as long, or maybe even longer, depending on the generator's capacity.
I was just making a little humor about the foolishness of ev trucks out west and the fact that the next town might be 200 miles away...and doubtful they would have a charge station. Electric vehicle may work is NYC and Los Angeles but sounds ridiculous out here...as silly as the politicians that want to mandate them...

I'm not to sure this is fact BUT it could be:)

This is what happens when you have lousy government planning.

Farmer has some questions regarding electric farm equipment:

A farmer farms over 10,000 acres of corn in the Midwest. The property
is spread out over 3 counties. His operation is a "partnership farm"
with John Deere.
They use the larger farm operations as demonstration projects for the
promotion and development of new equipment.
He recently received a phone call from his John Deere representative,
and they want the farm to go to electric tractors and combines in
He currently has 5 diesel combines that cost $900,000 each that are
traded in every 3 years. Also, over 10 really BIG tractors.
JD wants him to go all-electric soon.

He said: "Ok, I have some questions. How do I charge these combines
when they are 3 counties away from the shop in the middle of a
cornfield, in the middle of nowhere?" "How do I run them 24 hours a
day for 10 or 12 days straight when the harvest is ready, and the
weather is coming in?" "How do I get a 50,000+ lb. combine that takes
up the width of an entire road back to the shop 20 miles away when the
battery goes dead?"

When the corn is ready to harvest, it has to have the proper sugar and
moisture content. If it is too wet, it has to be put in giant dryers
that burn natural or propane gas, and lots of it. Harvest time is
critical because if it degrades in sugar content or quality, it can
drop the value of his crop by half a million dollars or more.
It is analyzed at the time of sale. It is standard procedure to run
these machines 10 to 12 days straight, 24 hours a day at peak harvest
time. When I need fuel, a tanker truck delivers it, and the
machines keep going.
John Deere's only answer is "we're working on it." They are being
pushed by the government to force these electric machines on American
farmers. These people are out of control. They are messing with the
production of food crops that feed people and livestock... all in the
name of their "green dream."

Look for the cost of your box of cornflakes to triple in the next 24
months....."

Have a great day!??

AND THE LUNACY CONTINUES . . . . . .

When you read things like this it is obvious that all "electric" is
not well thought out.

4896worker

Bearcat
More example of stupid politicians. Out here in California our governor who wants to be president just had the air resources board declare no more gas or diesel fuel vehicles by 2035.
Some of the concerns
1 We don’t have enough electricity now blackouts in summer because of usage
2.The electrical grid does not have the capacity even if we had the electricty
3. The infastructure of charging station
4. All new homes are required to be wired for charger but not apartments .
5. The cost of vehicular etc. that one they will solve with government had outs (tax rebates )
6. Right 60% of electrify is made with fossil fuels 20% is nuke The remainder is renewable with the majority hydro less than 10% wind solar .
Side note I wonder how long before gas gets hard to buy already some liberal towns have stoped allowing any new gas station being built . I fuel getting harder to find as car company’s transition to EV .
When ask about his Newsom can talk for hours and not say a thing .