Wouldn't a fixed sight Blackhawk in .44 mag be nice....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

piratedude

Single-Sixer
I bet if Ruger really tried they could make a Blackhawk in Stainless chambered for .44 mag with fixed sights.

Its not a Vaquero mind you.... its a "Blackhawk." So it would be ok.

Right?

We have to be careful to call it a "Blackhawk" so we don't upset the CAS dweezlenuts with their authentic Eye-Talian made replica Colt 51's replicated as a conversion and chambered to 38-40 or whatever it is they shoot.

Thanks.

piratedude

Single-Sixer
flatgate":2dtvdq1u said:
Ruger made them for years. The .44 cal. Vaquero.

flatgate

I'm not an old man, but I'm not a young man either.

You see the whole point of my post... and frankly I thought it was obvious, was that Ruger discontinued the model I want in order to please a certain vocal fringe movement of individuals who want to dress up and play cowboy.

I don't do cowboy, but I would like a NEW .44 mag single action Ruger. I'd just prefer not to call it a Vaquero because if you do it will upset certain "actors."

BlkHawk73

Hunter
piratedude":hs99acdg said:
We have to be careful to call it a "Blackhawk" so we don't upset the CAS dweezlenuts with their authentic Eye-Talian made replica Colt 51's replicated as a conversion and chambered to 38-40 or whatever it is they shoot.

Why the negative remarks/name calling for a group that's brought a shooting sport to light from coast to coast? What does it matter to you what they shoot or where it comes from? No 44 vaquero because of them? Well Ruger will make what they feel will generate more sales. The Vaquero ran it's course and with the demand for a smaller sized one, Ruger acted. Maybe if there were as many dweezlenuts wanting the Vaquero as did the NV, they wouldn't have discontinued it. Also with thousnads made and out there, even a dweezlenut should be able to find...ahhh never mind.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Constant sarcasm and such get's nobody positive results.

Guess that "fringe movement" spoke a lot louder than the rest. Glad to see meaning in the response tho. :roll:

StanMemTn

Single-Sixer
As someone who appreciates a good single action, I'm glad cowboy action shooting has come along. I don't participate in this sport, but I'm afraid that if sports like cowboy action shooting, long range silhouetting, and fast draw never came along, gunmakers would consider the single action to not be worth their time and money.

And yes, it would be great if you could get any Ruger single action in either fixed sight or adjustable sight configuration. That said, I see a lot of used .44 mag Vaqs on Gunbroker.

JMHO

Stephen

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
The cool thing about the New Vaquero (besides that it makes for a great carry piece in 357), is that those "cowboys" you seem to have an issue with will be selling of their Vaquero's in 44 and 45 (based on Blackhawk frames) for less than you could buy them new.

My fix sighted "Blackhawk" in 44 mag

PA310007.jpg

bnewberry

Single-Sixer
As someone who is involved in Cowboy Action Shooting I just want to say that not everyone prefers the newer smaller single action.

For one thing, Ruger won't chamber it for the .38-40 or the .44-40 because the cylinder is too small in diameter to ensure there won't be rim interference at maximum specifications.

For another, some folks with big hands really like the older larger guns.

And some like the .44 magnum in the Vaquero. I have on in blue myself.

Finally, it wasn't just Cowboy shooters who pined for the "good old" three screw guns which is what the new sized gun is supposed to be more like.

Took me a while, but I think I figured it out.

You're upset because they called it a Vaquero . . . right? And because they didn't include the .44 Mag chambering in the New Vaquero?

And then you insulted the Cowboy shooters and tried not-so-subtle sarcasm to partially disguise it?

OK, just so I understand . . .

:roll:

contender

Ruger Guru
Lets see, someone wants a certain model of gun. Then a LOT of someones want a certain model of gun. Ruger responded with the Vaquero. SASS grew, more folks, especially women, (which is sorely needed to keep the shooting sports alive in ALL venues,) got involved. More variations of the Vaquero got designed & built. MANY, many people now happy. Desires changed to where folks wanted them a little bit different,, and the New Vaquero was designed & built. Many folks now happy. Some not as much as they prefer the original. But, there are thousands of them out there. The company needs to make money, so they go where the MOST sales are. It's just good business sense.
I really don't see a downside. Oh, except for the very few folks who can't find the gun they want without doing a little work & research to find a discontinued, (due to lower sales,) model. Then those same folks cry & whine because they can't find what they want.

SASS created the desire in a lot of folks to get more involved in shooting. That was very good. Ruger developed guns with SASS in mind. But they also need to make money or the company would fold. Sales numbers have to be there for any model to be worth it to produce.
So, piratedude, before you show such disrespect for a group of folks like CAS, remember, there wouldn't be ANY vaqueros if not for them.
Gun designs, improvements are sales driven. That's a fact. It doesn't matter if it's SASS, IDPA, USPSA, Bianchi cup, Steel Challenge, Skeet, Trap, or whatever type of shooting you do. If the interest isn't there, there won't be the products available.
I suggest you do a little research & hunt for a good Vaquero in 44 mag & stop being rude to the CAS folks and Ruger.

Dale53

Blackhawk
I really do not understand all of the interest in fixed sighted revolvers.

Just to keep the record straight, I DO have a Bisley Vaquero in .45 Colt. However, I was shooting BPCR Silhouette for a number of years and there were interesting side matches for revolvers. The match requirements were fixed sights and black powder. So, I got the Bisley Vaquero. It was a happy match (me and the Bisley Vaquero). The Ruger has very good sights for a fixed sighted revolver and I score/scored well with it.

However, to me, an adjustable sighted handgun is ALWAYS more desirable. If you vary the bullet weight, the point of impact changes. In most revolvers, if you even vary the velocity the point of impact changes. ALL of this tells me that adjustable sights are for me.

When people speak of the desirability of fixed sights I wonder if they are really shooters?

So, unless you are shooting in a match that requires them, it seems to me that fixed sights are for the birds...

Heading for the storm cellar...

YMMV
Dale53

Folks might want to recall that Ruger sold a bazillion Single-Sixes with "fixed" sights before the Super Single-Sixes came out with adjustable sights. Of course, that might have been because they were the only variety available, but still . . .

Yes, you could "adjust" the rear sight for windage by drifting it in its dovetail, but that was in reallty more to allow you to get the gun to shoot to point of aim for a given load than for frequent adjustments for varying loads. JMHO

They also sold another bazillion Bearcats, too . . . with zero adjustability.

:D

MK111

Bearcat
Very well put Dale53. I have always had the desire for my bullets to hit where I was aiming. For that to happen I need and use adjustable sighted guns. Seems to work for me. Going to hid behind a rock for awhile.

GaryA

Single-Sixer
It would be interesting if someone would come up with something like the Cylinder & Slide Extreme Duty Fixed Sights for Ruger handguns. Then folks who want a fixed sight could convert their Blackhawks to a fixed-sight field gun. One would think there might be enough of a market to do this based upon forum threads on the subject but apparently companies manufacturing such things don't see that there is. I'm one who likes fixed sights in many cases and might consider putting one on a Blackhawk and seeing how it worked.

Although, I think the Bowen Rough Country sights in their many configurations would provide the ruggedness and utility anyone could want.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
contender":35hiu4cp said:
Oh, except for the very few folks who can't find the gun they want without doing a little work & research to find a discontinued, (due to lower sales,) model. Then those same folks cry & whine because they can't find what they want.

I suggest you do a little research & hunt for a good Vaquero in 44 mag & stop being rude to the CAS folks and Ruger.

Bingo!!! You got it contender! To put it in more sarcastic terms perhaps...you want a model after it's discontinued and not while they were widely and easily ordered... snooze and lose. :wink:

RUFFBIRD

Blackhawk
These are as you describe, stainless, .44 mag., & fixed sights. Ruger calls them "Vaquero", & sure they are basicly a "super" without the adjustable sights.
Perhaps I'm missing the jist of your post, but you seem to be describing the vaquero to a "T".....
They are a hell of a gun if you ask me... 8)
my 1'st .44 mag vaquero....1994
myguns198.jpg

My favorite .44 mag vaquero...2001
myguns124.jpg

Even in .45 Bisley Vaquero (2006) configuation are sweet....
myguns335.jpg

I call em my 3 "Amigos". 8) What's not to like????

americal

Hunter
A guy at worked offered me a 7.5 44 vaguero 350 dollars :) didn't need to spend the money-- told another friend he bought it & will make money on it this happened 2 weeks ago 8) whats the BIG deal they are for sale go to a gun show do A WTB in classifieds------ good grief Charle Brown :) Actually was broke thats why I did not buy it :lol:

jengel

Bearcat
I have both a stainless 4 5/8" .44 mag Vaquero and a blued 5.5" .44 mag Vaquero here at the shop for sale. Email me or call if you are interested.