Would you send it back....cylinder out of time picture

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mus408

Hunter
My new Super Redhawk Alaskan....

This plus the .011 cylinder gap. None of my other Rugers are this much out of shape!

hittman

Staff member
If you haven't fired it, why not exchange it locally where you bought it?

Mus408

Hunter
hittman said:
If you haven't fired it, why not exchange it locally where you bought it?

The dealer I bought it from claims that particular distributor they got it from will not exchange.
They said they or I could return it to Ruger.
Will call tomorrow and also email the picture.

hittman

Staff member
Maybe you should reconsider ever shopping there again? Whether or not the distributor will provide an exchange to reimburse the retailer is not your problem. Regardless, Ruger will most certainly fix it for free; including shipping.

Mus408

Hunter
I've had good luck with Ruger before and they should just replace the gun with a correct one.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Yes, I would send it back to Ruger. Not sure I would expect the seller to exchange it. But I think the holes should line up better than that. And a little less gap at the front of the cylinder. You are just not going to be happy with it unless it is corrected. I have bought 2 new Ruger handguns in my time and had to send each back. So I know it hurts.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
Misalignment between chamber and barrel bore isn't timing, it's misalignment.

Looking down the bore can be deceiving, if you drop a range rod and snag that ledge, there's your answer.

To alleviate this issue, I take a range rod and a set of feeler gauges to the shop before I ever sign my name to receive any revolver. Pretty straight forward. Either you buy it with the intent to send it back for correction, you don't buy it, or you confirm that your potential purchase has no disqualifying faults.

If you drop a range rod and it doesn't line up, OR if you have 11thou B/C gap, Ruger will replace it. This revolver has both. Why would you not send it in?

Was this an off the shelf model or did he order it for you? How did you not notice that? Well I guess it's not important. Lesson learned. Send it back to Ruger. They'll send you a new gun.

Mus408

Hunter
This was a new gun sitting in the show case right next to a .44 Mag version.
I had been thinking of making a trade for a gun like that and in 45 Colt/454 and happened to see it.
Gave it a quick visual but didn't think to check for cylinder alignment issue.
Never had that issue on my other Rugers.
Anyway it will be replaced or fixed...just called and a return slip is in my email.

The picture seems to be taken at an angle, which would impact the way things look at the far end of the barrel. .11 is awfully big, get someone else to measure also.
gramps

Mus408

Hunter
gramps said:
The picture seems to be taken at an angle, which would impact the way things look at the far end of the barrel. .11 is awfully big, get someone else to measure also.
gramps

Had to hold it at an angle to take the picture and when you look straight in it looks just like the pic.
Believe me an .011 gauge slides in without any struggle and a .012 is snug.
Been measuring machinery for over 40 yrs....tool and die trade ya know.
It was shipped to Ruger today.
I was just surprised to get a revolver of that level that far out of spec. but maybe I've been lucky on my other le$$ expensive Ruger SA revolvers which were well within specs.