Would you consider carrying in a "murse"?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Paul B

Hunter
"In Arizona its difficult to carry much more than a deep carry gun in the summer. Ive carried a full size 1911 inside it and a J frame in the accessible holster area of it."

My normal carry is a Colt Combat Commander in a IWB holster and an S&W M60 in my pocket for a back up gun. A bit too large Tee shirt does a nice job of concealment if I don't tuck it in. I've also done Mexican carry but prefer the method I use now. I does get a tad warmish here in Tucson.

Realized a few days ago that I carry a murse when ever I walk my dogs, now just one dog, around our neighborhood. I first started carrying this pouch with a shoulder strap to have a plastic bag to put dog poop in and also pick up the random beer can some lazy undisciplined idiot threw out while driving to or from work. Then I realized it was a good way to carry a cigar with lighter stored inside a case and if I sewed a holster into it I could then carry my Sig P230 too.
Be careful what 'cigar' you pull out if you are also using it as a 'doggie' bag. ;)

Diabloman

Single-Sixer
GOOD HECK NO....! LOOKIE HYERE!
F775BDB7-F201-4DEE-9567-66956C541E41.jpeg

Really good hunting gloves have the ability to keep your index finger outside of the glove and then pull it back in for a quick thaw, at least mine do and they aren't custom jobs or anything like that (think I got 'em from Cabellas about 15 years ago). Used to hunt grouse and cottontails in below zero weather with them and still have my "pointers"....

bobsyouruncle

Single-Sixer
Jack Bauer bag

But what exactly is in Jack's bag? That mysterious bag has enabled Jack to single-handedly throttle the plans of an international terrorist organization with seemingly unlimited resources and manpower. After countless hours of research, I have unraveled the mystery of what Jack keeps in his jaunty over-the-shoulder number that enables him to fight a one man battle against global terrorism. Here is the invoice from Jack's bag.

* Three vials of sodium pentothal
* Chase's other arm- there is no way that Jack was unaware that Chase broke Kim's heart. Jack always gets his revenge.
* Copy of CTU Distress Codes (2004 Edition)
* Three Cruise missiles
* Four pairs of flexicuffs
* Sun Tzu's The Art of War
* Medieval Iron Maiden
* Pair of pearl-handled Colt revolvers
* Habib Marwan's heart
* Sunglasses
* Cell phone and PDA chargers
* Band-Aids
* Swiss Army knife
* Box of Powerbars
* Two Fruit Punch Gatorades
* Change of underwear
* Schematics of every building in Los Angeles
* Two claymore anti-personal mines
* Driver's License, Helicopter Pilot's License, Airplane Pilot's License, SCUBA certification card, CPR certification card, Frequent Finagler card
* Bamboo shoots (for torture)
* Branding irons (for torture)
* Three pints of type sensitive blood
* iPod
* Kim's senior portrait from high school
* Approximately 17,000 9mm bullets
* Flare gun
* Night vision goggles
* Centrum A-Zinc vitamins
* Copy of Barstool Sports
* Arab-English dictionary, Spanish-English dictionary, Farsi-English dictionary, Russian-English dictionary
* Heroin
* Mass Card for Edgar's wake
* Hit List
* Picture of him and Tony Almeida performing "Love Is a Battlefield" at CTU: Los Angeles' Annual Karaoke Christmas Party
* Business Cards
* Pepper Spray
* AK-47
* Altoids
* Gas Mask
* EpiPen
* Ticket for year long vacation, flight leaves tomorrow at 8:30 AM

Last edited:

bobsyouruncle

Single-Sixer

Danny

Single-Sixer
Winter is here. Time for wearing a heavy parka when leaving the house, whether for a walk or going somewhere in my car. Carrying a concealed gun in a holster on my belt, or in a pocket holster is not a very practical way to stay ready and able to defend myself. One option could be to place the gun in the pocket of the jacket or parka, then when I get to where I am going (where I would normally remove my parka) going to a safe place like a stall in a restroom and transferring the gun back to my pocket or belt holster. But another option which would work would be to carry a discrete "murse" of some type. Many, many years ago I bought what they called a "cross carry bag" from Coronado Leather (I don't believe that they make this product anymore), which is a flat leather "murse" type bag that is designed to be worn across the body so that there is no concern about the bag slipping off your shoulder.

Before I could legally carry concealed I bought this bag, and at first wondered how likely it would be to trigger LEO interest in me. So I wore it a number of times, both in warm and cold weather, using this bag for my sunglasses, cell phone, wallet, keys but no gun. Never once, even at places such as a state capitol building with uniformed officers at the entrances, did anyone ever stop me or seem interested in what I might have in the bag. I became convinced that should I have chosen to do so, I could carry a gun confidently in that manner. The biggest or only negative is that since the bag is not attached to one's body as a holster on a belt is, it could be inadvertently left somewhere like on the back of a chair in a restaurant, or on the coat hook in a toilet stall.

Now that winter is here, I dragged that cross carry bag out of my huge bin of holsters and related gear, and am considering using it instead of a regular holster. It still has the problem of being accessible if wearing heavy gloves, but no more so than if I had the gun in a holster. Its just a matter of whether or not its a better solution than using the pocket of the coat instead. I'm still undecided on that issue, and would welcome comments.
In addition to your concerns of leaving the bag somewhere, you have the risk of someone trying a "snatch and dash" on you. You might be surprised at the amount of chances some thugs might take for such a scenario like that, even if the majority of grabs yield only some worthless trinkets. It only takes a worthwhile score now and then to make it worth doing for some. Start fueling things with an addiction and that is going to make it that much more worth doing by some.

Danny

Conman

Bearcat
I have reached the old age where I must carry "stuff". I finally settled on this Across the Chest bag. It goes over the left shoulder and under the right armpit. It holds all the junk I need and there is a middle pocket than very handedly holds my Colt 380 with extra magazine. Right in the best place for my right hand to dip in and take it out - hopefully it will never be required.

A man's got to do what a man's got to do!!

Attachments

• Murse.jpg
    Murse.jpg
    1,018.6 KB · Views: 58
Not sure if Diabloman posted those to make a point or a joke. (I hope the later, I've also been known to make a joke that falls like a turd in the punch bowl.). If not, then Diabloman will discover their membership will be short lived.

As for the original post and question... again I have no problem with a 'murse' if that is the best. (only?) option... the problem with purses either female or male is they usually have too much stuff in them and that is the wrong way to carry a gun, sitting in with other stuff. So, a 'murse' needs to be designed to have the weapon separated or alone.

I almost added a comment to this old thread before I remembered that I started the thread. I still own my murse, with its seperate and easy access pocket for a handgun, but in reality I have not taken it off the shelf since I started this thread. With a winter parka I just slip the holstered gun into the parka's pocket. And when it was really warm and I was wearing shorts and an untucked shirt, OWB carry worked just fine. But I'm not planning on getting rid of that Coronado Leather bag anytime soon.

Latest posts