Worksharp Knife Sharpener Review

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I started out with a Lansky sharpener. I bought it a couple years ago. It's "ok" at best. It was just too hard to adjust correctly and get everything aligned so the stones did their job at the correct angle. I was never a fan of the little pedestal you had to perch the knife holder upon. It wobbled back and forth. I couldn't get a good edge ever, and I did try a lot.

Anyway, I just ordered this Worksharp knife sharpener kit from Amazon. Like the Lansky, this kit is supposedly made in America. I hope it is. So far, I'm impressed. There are a few things I wish were better. The housing which holds the knife and the diamond sharpener is made of plastic. I wish it were aluminum. But, it's very easy to dial in the angle you want to sharpen a particular knife. AND, nothing rubs. On the Lansky, if you wanted a 15 or 17 degree edge, the rod rubbed against the knife holder.

On this Worksharp, the jaws that hold the knife have pieces of rubber to protect your knife from scratches. This is missing on the Lansky.

Another thing I wish they would have are higher sharpening stones. It goes 200, 300, 400, 600, 800 then diamond polish and a leather strop. I would like to have a 1000 and 1500 also. I browsed their website and didn't see any. I'll have to look again though. But there should be something between an 800 stone and the diamond polishing stone.

Anyway, it was on Amazon for a little over $100. I do think it's worth it. The Lansky is about 1/2 that, but this kit is far superior.

Someday I'm going to have to bite the bullet and order one of the Wicked Sharp kits. But I just didn't have the courage to order one this time. Perhaps next time...

Here are some pictures. But first a gratuitous dog picture...
Rainy...
2022-12-05_12-25-28_168.jpeg

Here is the knife sharpener I'm talking about.
2022-12-05_16-06-55_253.jpeg

Here is the knife in the holder, with the sharpening stone resting on the blade. The 600, 800 and diamond polish are on a rotating insert in the plastic holder. Aluminum would be so much nicer.
2022-12-05_16-02-43_900.jpeg

Here is the sharpener with a paring knife in the holder. Once it's clamped in, you can rotate the knife pretty easily to do the other side.
2022-12-05_15-57-44_589.jpeg

Here is how you can dial in the exact degree of edge you want for a particular knife.
Again, if the housing were aluminum it would be nicer. The plastic can flex and move some.
2022-12-05_15-59-08_812.jpeg

Finally, the rod holding the sharpening blocks attaches to the housing with a magnet. It's very secure and
a pretty good design really. That steel rod goes up into a hole and clicks to the magnet. Since you
don't use much pressure, it stays in place.
2022-12-05_15-58-50_605 (1).jpeg

contender

Ruger Guru
As long as YOU are happy,, fine. But you should remember,, I recommended a Dillon over the other press you got. And now,, I'll add this.
You should get the "Wicked Edge," (not wicked sharp) system.
Your sharpener above,, you say you can rotate the knife for doing the opposite side.
On the WE system, you are sharpening each side at the same time.
You mention "flex" in the plastic. Doesn't happen with the WE system.
Looking at the clamp that holds the blade. What keeps the blade from shifting up or down a little? It needs to be held rigidly to make sure you are honing the same angle each stroke.
Yes, the WE system is definitely more expensive,, but I think it's worth it. And there is NO comparrison between the WE & the Lansky. I HAD a Lansky,, and it left QUICKLY after I got my WE sharpener.

Lastly,, WE systems go up beyond 1500 grit.

miniman

Single-Sixer
with the spyderco system i could sharpen 5 blades before you even get that set up.way to many moving parts with that system.

contender

Ruger Guru
I have the Spyderco triangle sharpener as well. It's good, but not as good. And it still relies upon you being able to hold the blade at the same angle for every stroke.
I set up my WE system, and when I know I'm going to need it, I leave it set up. Easy to put the knife blade on, and go to work.
Not sure about the WorkSharp system.

dstegjas

Bearcat
I’ve had the Lansky system for a lot of years now and it’s worked fine for me. I still use the stones instead of the diamond sharpeners. Two things work for me. I’m never in a rush when sharpening my knives. Just like reloading, I take my time. Secondly, I break my knives down into two groups when it comes to sharpening them. My hunting knives get a razor edge on them. So I use the Lansky sharpener on them. when I’m done, I can shave the hair off of my arm. The others like pocket knives, kitchen knives and such. I use a sharpening steel on them. For me, it’s all about how and what I use them for as to how I sharpen them.

It works for me, for others their mileage may vary.

shoot to thrill

Single-Sixer
I’ve had the Lansky system for a lot of years now and it’s worked fine for me. I still use the stones instead of the diamond sharpeners. Two things work for me. I’m never in a rush when sharpening my knives. Just like reloading, I take my time. Secondly, I break my knives down into two groups when it comes to sharpening them. My hunting knives get a razor edge on them. So I use the Lansky sharpener on them. when I’m done, I can shave the hair off of my arm. The others like pocket knives, kitchen knives and such. I use a sharpening steel on them. For me, it’s all about how and what I use them for as to how I sharpen them.

It works for me, for others their mileage may vary.
the stones last way longer then the diamond ones which wear out after 4-5 uses. they aint cheap and a waste of money

Contender:
Do you understand how much money you have cost me over the years???? :)

Ok, I have looked at the Wicked Edge kits. They have many different kits at different price points.

But which one do I need?

It is kind of silly of me to buy the cheapest sharpener available. The last kitchen knife I bought was $550. It is a custom Nafzger Forge knife.

And I know people praise the Lansky setup. I promise you, I’ve tried many times, I’ve watched videos on YouTube etc. For me, it’s just as I described, loose and wobbly, and it rubs when trying to sharpen less than say 25°.

Contender:
Fine, you broke me down. I just ordered the Wicked Edge Pro Pack.

They sell them on Amazon. I’ll get it Thursday…

But if I don’t like it, remember, I know where you live 😀

But it’s going under the Christmas tree so I won’t be able to post any pictures until after Christmas….

I just emailed Work Sharp and gave them a review of their sharpener and told them I'm returning the kit, although I think I might actually keep it. It does work fairly well. I emailed them yesterday and they don't have any grit of sharpener between 800 and the ceramic polisher. (I thought it was diamond, but no, just ceramic). But it's impossible to get a good edge on a knife with 800 grit. I should have looked that up first.

I did try to sharpen another knife on it today. Yes, the plastic body does wiggle. and the base should be heavier. It will be nice to see the Wicked Edge with the aluminum base. I always felt that the Lansky could benefit from a solid base and always wanted to make one out of wood for it, but never got around to it.

contender

Ruger Guru
kevin, first off, giving gramps the WorkSharp is a fine gesture. Kudos.

As for the WE Pro Pack. If you don't like it,, bring it here & we can "discuss it!" :D

PS; You just missed their "Black Friday sale."

alamogunr

Bearcat
Not sure why the criticism of the Work Sharp unless it is different from the Work Sharp, Ken Onion version, which I have. I am completely satisfied. I was never able to sharpen knives of any kind to my satisfaction on stones.

I got home from a funeral today, and VOILA! A package was on my ramp! Thank you Kevin, I don’t understand why I deserve it, but wow, I know when to say yes please, and Thank you very much. I guess I should thank Contemder too for “making” you get the WE😳 lol
gramps

Gramps, you are just a good guy here on the Ruger forum. Enjoy!

Not sure why the criticism of the Work Sharp unless it is different from the Work Sharp, Ken Onion version, which I have. I am completely satisfied. I was never able to sharpen knives of any kind to my satisfaction on stones.
I didn’t have the Ken Onion version, so I can’t really say, beyond what I already posted. It didn’t come with a heavy base and the plastic housing moved around just enough. Plus no stone above 800 grit.

Is the Ken Onion any different?

But don’t get me wrong!! If it was pure junk I would have thrown it away or returned it.

alamogunr

Bearcat
I just realized that the Work Sharp(and others) discussed here, are manual sharpeners. The Ken Onion is a motorized sharpener using various grit belts. Probably wouldn't satisfy some. As I mentioned in earlier post, I was never able to get a good edge using stones. Now I get an adequate edge and the abilty to touch up using a medium, well worn belt.

I just realized that the Work Sharp(and others) discussed here, are manual sharpeners. The Ken Onion is a motorized sharpener using various grit belts. Probably wouldn't satisfy some. As I mentioned in earlier post, I was never able to get a good edge using stones. Now I get an adequate edge and the abilty to touch up using a medium, well worn belt.
I’ve tried electric sharpeners. The Chef’s “something” Trizor. The problem for me with electric sharpeners is just like a dremel. Things can go wrong just too fast.

I do have a friend that has one of the Ken Onion sharpeners. He swears by it. But I’m positive I would ruin my knives with anything electric.

Latest posts