Working on my .45 Colt wadcutter hollow points...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mus408

Hunter
Got some of these in today and working up a load for them.
From my figures...I will have about .100 more powder space than a .45 ACP load, and since I have data from my 230 gr. ACP loads using 6.0 gr. of Unique. I think I will be safe with these 240 gr. lead WC HP bullets at a start of 6 gr. of Unique also.
These bullets were cast out of a 20 to 1 lead mix.
Will see how they expand in the water jug test at around 850-900 FPS.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Is that a hollow based wad cutter loaded backwards? Are you able to chronograph them. Loaded in the .45 Colt case, pressures should be quite a bit lower than in the ACP. This will be shown in chronograph readings.

Mus408

Hunter
Well they seat really deep in the case and the resulting powder space is around .100 or 1/10th of an inch more than a standard 230 gr. bullet in a 45 ACP case according to all my measurements.
Want to see how they will perform out of my 5.5 to 2.5 inch revolvers.
Yes theses are a full wadcutter seated up side down and using a .45 ACP taper crimp die they are set at about .080 above the case rim. They have a nice deep tapered hole and will see how they will expand at moderate speed. Man stoppers?
Yes I will chrony and test them hopefully tomorrow.
Just wish I had my new Ruger Alaskan with me too to try out some other hotter .45 loads I made for it...come on Ruger send me my "new" gun back!!

Mus408

Hunter
That's exactly what it is. Got them from Matt's Bullets and he cast these a little softer than typical hard cast bullets for my application. Great guy to deal with and he has a nice bullet selection for .45 Colt and .45-70

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
I do believe you're on to something. Something badly twisted and decidedly antisocial. Can't wait for your range report.

Mus408

Hunter
Nothing really new...these were considered "man stoppers" before the Jacket hollow points came along and intended for short barreled revolvers. What's old is new again!

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Mus408 said:
Nothing really new...these were considered "man stoppers" before the Jacket hollow points came along and intended for short barreled revolvers. What's old is new again!
aaaaaaaaaaah still old school if you ask me. They might work but they certainly wouldn't be my first choice for self defense. Better suited for target practice. :D

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I agree with Jimbo. They look deadly but tests in the past of inverted HBWC bullets never impressed most people who are in the know about such things.

stevemb

Hunter
Fingers crossed, hope they'll do fine. You may have an exta .1 of case volume, but you have a bit more bullet weight, and the bullet has more bearing surface. Still think it'll work out though. If not enough penetration, turn it around.

Mus408

Hunter
Well I had to do something while waiting for my new .45 Colt/.454 Alaskan. Next week will be a month without this thing after paying a bunch of money for it.
Latest word as of yesterday..."We don't know what the delay is since they repaired and tested it a week ago...will email Assembly and call you back". That makes 2 emails sent and no call.