Working on a custom 10/22 carbine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

David LaPell

Blackhawk
My 10/22 is coming along nicely. This started as a standard 10/22 carbine I picked up a month ago. I've swapped out the barrel with a Shaw bull barrel and added a Hogue stock. I've got an extended mag release on the way and a longer charging handle which I wasn't going to get but the scope turrets kind of get in the way. The scope is a Simmons Whitetail classic 4x, where I am the longest shot on anything, let alone a squirrel is probably going to be 60-70 yards tops. I've got a Caldwell bi-pod coming for it too. Today I broke in the barrel, which was with CCI Standard velocity ammo. Per Shaw's instructions, I fired 30 rounds in 5 round strings, cleaning the barrel every five rounds, and then 70 rounds in ten round strings, cleaning every ten rounds. In between strings I also adjusted the scope, but today wasn't as much about accuracy as breaking in the barrel. I will play around with group size later when I shoot it again.

aNmlBLX.jpg

YttwRZL.jpg

Montelores

Buckeye
Very nice - should be a great shooter.

What are the cleaning instructions between groups?

I pretty much reserve my SV ammo for handguns - is there a reason that you're using it?

Keep us informed after break-in...

Monty

David LaPell

Blackhawk
Montelores said:
Very nice - should be a great shooter.

What are the cleaning instructions between groups?

I pretty much reserve my SV ammo for handguns - is there a reason that you're using it?

Keep us informed after break-in...

Monty

The instructions between groups are to simply clean the barrel every 5 shots for the first 30 and then every 10 shots for the last 70.

I use standard velocity because that's what I hunt with almost exclusively in all my .22 rifles, especially my older .22 rifles, some of them are 90-100 years old so they work well in guns not designed for high velocity ammo.

Montelores

Buckeye
Thanks, David -

Sorry, I wasn't clear with my question.

Do you clean with a wet patch, or brush, then patch?

Thanks for the explanation about the SV and your rifles.

I hope that your son is doing well.

I always enjoy your stories with him.

Monty

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
David LaPell said:
My 10/22 is coming along nicely. This started as a standard 10/22 carbine I picked up a month ago. I've swapped out the barrel with a Shaw bull barrel and added a Hogue stock. I've got an extended mag release on the way and a longer charging handle which I wasn't going to get but the scope turrets kind of get in the way. The scope is a Simmons Whitetail classic 4x, where I am the longest shot on anything, let alone a squirrel is probably going to be 60-70 yards tops. I've got a Caldwell bi-pod coming for it too. Today I broke in the barrel, which was with CCI Standard velocity ammo. Per Shaw's instructions, I fired 30 rounds in 5 round strings, cleaning the barrel every five rounds, and then 70 rounds in ten round strings, cleaning every ten rounds. In between strings I also adjusted the scope, but today wasn't as much about accuracy as breaking in the barrel. I will play around with group size later when I shoot it again.
aNmlBLX.jpg

Great lookin' assembly. The Hogue over-molded stocks are a great value AND a great addition to a 10/22 rifle. "We don't need no steenkin' thumb-holes"
:

2yAYS2Ul.jpg