Words that are used in opposite ways

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The word hack was used to mean someone broke into your computer/program etc. now it is good as you learn about life hacks etc ? I wish it was used consistently.
gramps

Sorry, I haven't seen it used for life's hacks. In what way? Are the hacks like everyday problems?

Another word semi related to computers is "guru" I am just not a big fan of that word. Yes I know it has it's roots in ancient Buda teachings as someone who is smart. I also know with computers it can be derogatory...meaning a smart computer whiz living in his parents basement without friends.

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
The hack in lifehacks is like the hack in "I'll take a hack at it", as in hacking/chopping down a tree. "I'll take a try at it". Languages take in new meanings and new words all the time. Unless it's a dead language. The process can be irritating.

Threw some shade? That one is also new to me. There also becomes a point when these phrases and words used in different ways with different meanings are regional. Just like foods, different parts of the country have different colloquialisms. And age groups too, probably more than regions.

Specs

Single-Sixer
The one in KY I could never understand is if when asking a favor of someone like "Would you watch my house while I'm on vacation ? your neighbor will say" Wal , ah don't kere to" which means yes he will watch the house. Usually when one says " I don't care to" it means no, I won't, as in I don't care to go skydiving or whatever. .

737tdi

Hunter
I always thought that a life hack was the discovery of a product or technique used in a way it was not initially intended.

1. Toothpaste to clean jewelry.
2. WD40 to clean plastic headlight lenses.
3. Steel wool as kindling to start a fire.

I know a bunch but just can't think of them right now.

Karl

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Well, y'all have done tripped my hammer.

My current pet peeve is "went missing." Went is the past tense of the verb "to go," and implies voluntary departure. "I will go; I went; I have gone" all voluntary states. Involuntary could be "to take", as "The police will take him away" or "He was taken by the police."

Someone who can't be found is "listed as missing."

Others: "I seen......." instead of "I saw..."

And more recently the ferry that "...was sunked."

And: "Have you went..........."

None of this is Ebonics, its ignorance.

Bob Wright

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Amen! on sports announcers.

Hate it when they speak of the "bwall" being on any yard line. The word is "ball", rhymes with "all", and is one syllable.

Bob Wright

737tdi

Hunter
One that I can't stand is "He my baby daddy". Really, not your husband? I swear these gals take pride in saying it.

Karl

Latest posts