Wolff spring pack for SP101. Anyone use?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I put the 10# mainspring and lighter trigger return spring in mine and it made a noticable difference. No problems with ignition. Sometime in the future I will slick the whole thing up per the IBOK but for the break-in this is fine. :D :D

...JImbo

Changeling

Bearcat
ocd, you would be better served in my opinion to get a really good gunsmith to rework the trigger! The improvement will absolutely amaze you.

OCD":1lyiva1i said:
This is a double post, I put it in the Gunsmithing section but maybe more folks read this section?

The spring kit comes with a 9, 10 and 12 lb spring. Any input on which one to start with or just start in the middle with the 10lb?? The factory spring is 14 lbs I believe. I just want a little lighter action, but not have problems with failure to ignite.

Thanks

micevmi

Bearcat
OCD":xgung5nf said:
This is a double post, I put it in the Gunsmithing section but maybe more folks read this section?

The spring kit comes with a 9, 10 and 12 lb spring. Any input on which one to start with or just start in the middle with the 10lb?? The factory spring is 14 lbs I believe. I just want a little lighter action, but not have problems with failure to ignite.

Thanks

I put in my Ruger SP101 from Wolff Spring Kit this springs:
Hammer Spring:
14Lbs. (6.35kg) is Factory spring, I replace with Wolff 9Lbs. (4.082kg) difference between the two is 2.268kg.
Trigger Spring:
10Lbs. (4.536kg) is Factory spring, I replace with Wolff 8Lbs. (3.629kg) difference between the two is 0.907kg.

I am very pleased with this option, for now I have no problems with his revolver. :p

56-210

Bearcat
I know you're talking SP...

I put #10 in hammer and trigger in my GP...Tried the #8 in the trigger and was to touchy for my likes...

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I put the Wolf kit in my SP-101 using the 12-pound hammer spring and the 8-pound trigger return spring (the only one in the kit I bought). The kit made a noticable improvement in both the double and single action trigger pulls without having any negative effect on reliability.

Maybe the lighter hammer springs would also work but I'm satisfied with the current improvements and don't want to chance ignition problems.

micevmi

Bearcat
OCD":2lyt3vqq said:
Micevmi,

Thanks. You have no light primer strikes(fail to ignite) with the 9lb hammer spring? What brands of ammo do you use in Bulgaria? I would be guessing, Wolf, S&B, Fiocchi??

In Bulgaria, now I am using the following brands of ammunition and never had problems with my Ruger SP101:

38 spl.. and 357 mag.:
1. Sellier & Belott / Czech Republic /, I not like them, bad ammo and leave much dirt;

2. Prvi Partizan /Serbia/, not bad but they are powerful);

3. Hirtenberger /Austria/, very powerful, I like them);

3 .Magtech /Brazil/, In Bulgaria are used quite;

4. CCI /USA/, ''Shotshells'' ammo for snakes);

5. Mesco /Poland/ ,''Stop ammo'', cause major damage;

6. Federal /USA/, good ammunition;

7. Winchester /USA/ (WinClean), my favorite ammo, I very like them, they are fast ammo and leave no dirt.

I am used and other brands, but now I do not remember them.
Regards.

micevmi

Bearcat
OCD":2jsh5et0 said:
micevmi":2jsh5et0 said:
OCD":2jsh5et0 said:
Micevmi,

Thanks. You have no light primer strikes(fail to ignite) with the 9lb hammer spring? What brands of ammo do you use in Bulgaria? I would be guessing, Wolf, S&B, Fiocchi??

In Bulgaria, now I am using the following brands of ammunition and never had problems with my Ruger SP101:

38 spl.. and 357 mag.:
1. Sellier & Belott / Czech Republic /, I not like them, bad ammo and leave much dirt;

2. Prvi Partizan /Serbia/, not bad but they are powerful);

3. Hirtenberger /Austria/, very powerful, I like them);

3 .Magtech /Brazil/, In Bulgaria are used quite;

4. CCI /USA/, ''Shotshells'' ammo for snakes);

5. Mesco /Poland/ ,''Stop ammo'', cause major damage;

6. Federal /USA/, good ammunition;

7. Winchester /USA/ (WinClean), my favorite ammo, I very like them, they are fast ammo and leave no dirt.

I am used and other brands, but now I do not remember them.
Regards.

Thanks! I have heard and used all of them except Hirtenberger and Mesco. I agree with you about S&B. I used that for a while in .380Auto and it was very dirty. I use a lot of MagTech in all my guns. semi auto and revolvers. It's nice to hear from other countries :)

Charlie,

Thanks, I'll try mine out sometime this week.

If you find Hirtenberger try them ...:) I recently began using Magtech, they give me good results.
Regards.

MADISON

Single-Sixer
My wife and I have a total of 6 [she has 3 and I have 3] SP-101 revolvers in .357 Magnum. We got 2 kits. She uses the low poundage one and I get the next 3 up.

Use the lowest poundage that will consistantly pop the primers.

s4s4u

Hunter
ocd, you would be better served in my opinion to get a really good gunsmith to rework the trigger!

This may be, but $10 spring kit versus $100-$150 trigger job?

elderberry99

Bearcat
I just recently purchased a ruger SP101 with 2 1/4" barrel and had my gunsmith install the Wolff springs and do a buff on all the internals. For the cost, I feel it well worth the investment. It would have cost me more money in ammo to wear in the revolver then it cost me to have the work done. It cost me no more then a good box of ammo.
Very smooth trigger and hammer action. I installed the C/T Laser Grips on it and it is a great shooter out to 15+ yards with the groups very tight.

AC119

Bearcat
I have a 9mm Sp101. Put Wolff kit in using 9 lb hammer. Had a few failure to ignite primers (2 in 50 rounds), This is my defense gun so put 10 lb in. Will try it. My 22LR SP101 had lots of failure to fire with SK ammo (2 in 6) with 10 lb spring. Put 12 lb in today and 20 rounds so far and no probs. Most brand of 22LR were OK, BTW.