Wolff Spring Kit Plunge on Redhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Guy's/Gal's
Love my Ruger Redhawk. I was stupid when I sold my first one. So I ordered the Hunter model this time. Glad I did.

But after looking at the Wolff spring kits on these for a long time and wondering what a deference they would make, I was nosing on eBay at these and found a set of Brownells Pro Spring Kit for the Redhawk used $10. including shipping. I could not pass that deal up since they are made by Wolff. I got them in today put the 13 pound spring in and the revolver function fine at the range after being done.

First time I have ever had the Redhawk hammer and spring out of the revolver. Not bad at all, just have to learn to hold you're mouth right while doing it
Happy with the results. Guy's I know most of you say just cycle the gun and get the same results. I understand that but I wanted to try the spring kit. Was it the difference between night and day, nope. Just a little smoother pull with the lighter spring. Glad I did not pay full price for it. But I will leave it in and it did kill my curiosity. Would I buy another one. Probably not.

I don't care for spring kits, some light sanding/buffing and lots of shooting makes my guns feel great. The term "good trigger" is used all the time and that means different things to different people. I thing we can all agree that smooth is good, creep is irrelevant to me once I've shot the poo out of a gun and muscle memory takes over, and too light of a trigger pull just ruins a gun for me. I have an 8 shot .22lr SP101, the comments on this forum about that trigger are that it's horrific but when I lightened the trigger on mine pull I couldn't shoot the gun as well anymore and trigger return suffered. I have thousands of rounds through that gun and that trigger is smooth as can be and the pull with stock springs suits me just fine, my buddy who shoots S&W Performance Center revolvers thinks my SP101 is just awful, I feel the same way about his guns...to each his own.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Capt.
You are correct about that. The one thing I notice in the double action mode it was real hard to find that lock up on the cylinder right before the hammer drops. I always enjoyed shooting double action that way. It is still possible and muscle memory will help achieve that but the trigger being lighter and smoother makes finding that spot without going past a lot harder.

98Redline

Blackhawk
I would also recommend a set of hammer and trigger shims.

It will help take the side to side slop out of both
It helps smooth up the trigger
It will prevent the hammer from rubbing on the frame and shedding energy during the drop.

The last part is probably the most important part if you reduced the power of the spring.

Enigma

Hunter
I dislike recommending spring kits because MOST people will ONLY install the spring kit. They will not address any rough areas on parts, burrs, improper sear angles, etc. A professional trigger or action job should not be compared to merely installing a spring kit.

contender

Ruger Guru
Replacement springs have their place.

But,, I can say,, it is MUCH more important to get a proper action smoothing to assist in how a gun feels.

When folks discuss this,, I'm reminded of a conversation I had a long time ago with Jerry Miculek. I was handling his competition gun,, and it felt slick, and smooth. We discussed springs,, and he said his gun actually had HEAVIER springs than stock. Why? Faster moving action,, to better match his skill. But,, it was a smooth action,, so it did NOT feel heavier than others.