Wolf Spring job on my new 41 mag NM blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

triggerpull

Single-Sixer
Since my first job on my 44 mag SBH was still fresh in my mind, I figured I might as well change my springs on my new 41 mag.

Since I eventually figured out that you can get the main spring out without separating the frames on my SBH--I thought that would hold true for the NM Blackhawk as well. Well, that was not the case, so I had to separate the frames again, though this time the process was much faster and the entire job only took me 20 minutes or so.

The grip frame on this NMB has the slot for the internal lock--but no lock-- and is inscribed "N" (I have no idea if that is of any significance--other than some people are obsessed by these internal markings : ) ). The grip frame itself appears to me to be made from aluminum rather than steel--and unlike the cylinder frame is not blued but merely spray-painted flat black which I quickly learned I could scratch with even a fingernail. This is kinda cheesy IMO and could at least be anodized as you find in AR receivers. The screws are also painted and secured with blobs of loktite type material. This is definitely no super*hawk.

JLarsson

Single-Sixer
Grip frame is DEFINITELY aluminum. I fitted a steel frame and I like the balance better. Mine had the lock and that removed it.

I'd like to see a picture of the hammer spring installed in the frame. You say it has the slot for the lock, but no lock. So what does the spring seat look like? Someone pointed out recently that the spring seat for the Bearcat will fit in the lock-equipable frame so you can remove the lock. But it would be interesting to see what yours looks like.

triggerpull

Single-Sixer
JLarsson said:
Grip frame is DEFINITELY aluminum. I fitted a steel frame and I like the balance better. Mine had the lock and that removed it.

I'd like to see a picture of the hammer spring installed in the frame. You say it has the slot for the lock, but no lock. So what does the spring seat look like? Someone pointed out recently that the spring seat for the Bearcat will fit in the lock-equipable frame so you can remove the lock. But it would be interesting to see what yours looks like.
I'm assuming it's the same slot for the internal lock as I've seen in other pics on-line--it has that trapezoid shape. But I could be wrong about that. The spring seat doesn't look any different from the one on my SBH. The top of the trapezoid cut-out is actually quite narrow, and has "nubs" on either side preventing the kind of "wiggle out" that works on my SBH. Of course this verbal description is useless without pics, I will take some later today but that takes time. ; )

PS--scratch that--it definitely IS NOT the slot cut for the lock--my apologies.

PSS-I wonder how long the grip frame can stand up to repeated recoil from the steel cylinder frame? Steel pounding aluminum is generally not a good thing.

JLarsson

Single-Sixer
I don't know why, but the aluminum grip frame does not appear to have presented any durability problems. Others will know more.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Ruger BH`s have had aluminum grip frames for a long long time.
There are no issues with them holding up. That said, I also prefer steel.