wolf ammo?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

christiancowboy

Bearcat
Hi I'am new here and this is my first posting. I have a ruger mini 30 ranch rifle. Is it okay to shut wolf ammo out of it?

96/44

Blackhawk
Welcome to the forum! Wolf ammo is fine to shoot out of your mini, just don't expect great accuracy. It also burns pretty dirty, so be prepared to spend some time cleaning your rifle. Hard to beat it for plinking ammo though, I can't even reload for the price Wolf sells for.

Lloyd Smale

Blackhawk
you may run into the problem i did. Wolf primers have a hard cup and are tough to get to ignite reliably in a mini 30. I ended up buying a wolf extra power hammer spring for mine and it seems to have cured it.

lctrcjim

Bearcat
For what it's worth, my Mini 30 does not like Wolf ammo at all. Golden Tiger is even worse. Of all the inexpensive brands that I've tried, Fiocchi has worked best for me. It's a little more expensive than Wolf & the other Russian brands, but still about half the price of the American brands. From what I understand, it's now being made in the US. Sellier & Bellot is another inexpensive brand that is supposed to be pretty good, although I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
The Wolf Gold line of ammo is very good. It is brass-cased, accurate, and reliable. it also costs more, but I do not put junk through my rifles.

Most folks don't have a problem with it... but as mentioned it usually is pretty dirty and I think smells bad on top of that. I did a test last year with .223 ammo and the Wolf stuff I had was by far the least accurate out of about 16 different brands. I've heard the rummers about breaking a firing pin... I think it has more to do with the specific gun than ammo... but then one of my mini-14s has gone through at least 2 firing pins in its 15 year life.

Gav-n-Tn

Bearcat
I don't have any problem shooting it myself. I have heard of Wolf having problems being consistently accurate though.