With snow, come cast iron cooking

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Hunted the first half of the day. It started snowing around 7:00am, and is still doing so. Didn't even see a deer. When I got home, my wife said she felt like a roast. I can take a hint ! :D I broke out the cast iron 7 qt. dutch and 15 " skillet, for the rolls. Turned out pretty good. My 11 year old daughter even made a cake ! She's taking after her Grandmother with her baking abilities. :D I know Grandma Sally is smiling down on us :D .

roastrollscake003.jpg

Here's the pan seared roast, with taters, green beans, onion, peas, corn, and carrots. Next to it, is 'sixshots' bread recipe, rolled into rolls.

meal002-1.jpg

roastrollscake001.jpg

Here's my daughters cake. White cake with vanilla icing w/ marshmellow cream added. It was delicious ! :D

We're all snug as bugs, the wood stove is cranking, our bellies are full, and we're about to watch a Christmas movie. Life is good !

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Stoots, ask, and ye shall receive ! :D I've had alot of good meals with this recipe.

OK, dutch oven bread, this will be equal to about 2 1/2-3 loaves of bread.

place 1 1/2 cups of hot water in a mixing bowl
add 1 whole stick of margarine, can be melted first in the mircowave
1 1/2 tbl spoons of yeast
1 tbl spoon salt
2 tbl spoons of sugar

add these together, make sure the margarine is melted, then let it set for 15-20 minutes to let the yeast get bubbly.
add 2 1/2 cups of flour & stir with a big spoon or a mixer, you will have a thick, sticky batter, now start blending in additional flour, it usually takes about 1 1/3 cups for me to ge the right texture, roll in out onto a floured bread board, etc & knead it a couple of minutes, working it into a nice round loaf.
I have my dutch oven oiled & slightly warm, also oil the lid, place the round loaf in the oven, clank the lid on top & set in a warm place until it doubles in size. If you are using a #12 oven (I do) the dough will be almost touching the lid. Place the dutch oven in your pre-heated kitchen oven (best to begin indoors) at 375 degrees for 12-14 minutes with the lid on, then remove the lid & bake an additional 30-35 minutes, you will have to experiment on the time, I use a toothpick to make sure the loaf is done.
It will come out a beautiful golden brown, slap on the butter & jam & prop your feet up!

Dick

Just make sure you give enough time for the yeast to work on the first stage. Nice and bubblely, as Dick says. Also, let your bread rise. It will double in size. The key is to let the yeast do the work. Have patience.

For the rolls, simply roll into balls the size of small egg, and place in pan. Wait, and watch them swell up ! Bake, the same as for bread.

Enjoy ! Jeff

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
30-45 minutes. The longer you let it rise, the fluffier the rolls, or bread.

contender

Ruger Guru
That sure looks good!
Jeff may be a big, burly motorcop,, but he can cook quite well! The mac & cheese he did while we were in Idaho was excellent & I'm not a big fan of the stuff. However, it was the best I've ever had.