Winchester USA Forged 9mm ammo regrets

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Purchased 600 rounds of this at a good price, but had no idea what crap it is. Literally every other round failed to feed in my Ruger Security9, getting hung up on the feed ramp. The casings seem to be coated in some kind of chalky gunk, making them very NOT smooth and is probably the reason they don't feed worth a darn. Someone in another forum said he wipes his off with WD40 which seems to help, but I'm hoping for an easier solution or how otherwise to make use of the remaining rounds (~590 of them!).

Attachments

• 20240614_131246.jpg
    20240614_131246.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 44
Some guns just don't like brass jacketed bullets and/or steel cases. Did the seller not describe what you bought? I recently had feeding issues in two different Ruger American pistols using brass jacket ammo.

And I'll be the first to admit, I do not know why a pistol that normally eats anything would balk at brass jacketed bullets. My boy and I both have Ruger American pistols, and when I bought a bunch of brass jacketed ammo, we both immediately experienced misfeeds.

Last edited:
Some guns just don't like brass jacketed bullets and/or steel cases. Did the seller not describe what you bought? I recently had feeding issues in two different Ruger American pistols using brass jacket ammo.
Been awhile and I don't recall the seller's description, but nothing unusual caught my attention. Hopefully they'll be usable in my Taurus PT92 (Beretta) or G2c, as you suggested, or maybe someone will suggest a better way to wipe that coating away.

azleite

Single-Sixer
lol, I actually did get some of that ammo free. Met a guy at the range who had the wrong size staples for his stapler. I turned him onto a row and we ended up BSing for over three hours. Anyways he had a bunch of that and he gave me four boxes of it. I shoot it in the 9mm cylinder of my Blackhawk-Dave

larry8

Blackhawk
Went to the range and when signing in the range guy used a magnet on my brass ammo. I asked him about that and he said that some manufacturers brass plate the steel ammo so you don't see it as steel case.

Topfueler1

Bearcat
I tried that same Winchester steel cased 9mm about two years ago. I did not have any feeding problems but very dirty powder. Winchester must make these with the cheapest, dirty powder. Never bought it again. I told everybody if you want to dirty up your pistol fast, then buy this ammo.

Last edited:
This is the only steel case ammo I buy, Magtech is a polished zinc coated case and American Steel is a brass coated case. Have had no problems with either one in many of my 9mm's I have used it in, much cleaner than some others brands I have used.
DSC01712.JPG

Get an AR-9, they will eat most anything.

That's about right, which is why I bought some aluminum cased 9mm several years ago. It worked just fine in my 9mm AR, but I stopped using it because I noticed a warning on the box, about how it was NOT recommended for use in blow-back operated firearms (like my 9mm AR).

As always IMHO, FWIW, IIRC, YMMV, etc.
:)

Latest posts