Winchester Canadian Centennial 1894 rifle value?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hankus

Blackhawk
Morning all. When I was at a LGS a couple of weeks ago I picked up a shooter-grade Ruger .44 carbine, but they also had a Winchester 1894 Canadian Cenennial rifle with a 20" octagonal barrel, from 1967 that caught my eye. It is in unfired, perfect condition but doesn't have the box or any of the accoutrements that came with it. They're asking $700 for it. I don't really need it as I have my father's old pre-64 model 94 that is still in pretty good shape. I took my first several deer with dad's old rifle, as did my son. My grandsons will probably take theirs with it too. That being said, is $700 a good price on the Canadian Centennial? I've looked at completed auctions on GB, but they're all over the place. It shore is a purdy rifle and would more than likely be a safe queen.

BearBiologist

Hunter
Personally, I dislike commemoratives. The problem is that it seems every event has a commemorative rifle or pistol out there. I also don't like garish looking guns, for the most part (a BBQ gun is something else).
on them. The exception is,of course, something of special importance to people. For instance, a Canadian collector might really want such a rifle.

Reactions: KIR
I have the 20" Canadian Centennial carbine model, I got it for Christmas 67 when I was 9 years old (my first rifle). Carried that heavy barreled rifle for years before I took my first deer with it in 75 followed by several more then switched to a 6mm Remington 788. Still have it and will never let it go. As I've mentioned in another post my twin brother has the 26" model with consecutive serial numbers.
Without the box and papers that $700 price is probably on the higher side of current market more in line with what LNIB goes for these days. IMHO

MHtractorguy

Blackhawk
Where I am, any new Winchester 1894 is usually priced well above that. If I see an octagon barrel, I might ask, but I know it's over a grand.
I would have taken it home with me at that price. I also have a huge military base here, and black rifles are about all we see.

hittman

Staff member
And ya know, the older I get the more likely I am to pay for what I want unless the price is simply STUPID criminal high.

How many times have we thought back over the years when we coulda bought "__________" for $300 and now they're going for twice or triple that?

Some years back, I passed on a near mint Mini14 in .222 no less at about $400 cause I wasn't in to rifles or "goofy" calibers. Goodness what a moron LOL.

Iffn ya like it and can afford it. ….. life's short, git it.

Hankus

Blackhawk
I have the 20" Canadian Centennial carbine model, I got it for Christmas 67 when I was 9 years old (my first rifle). Carried that heavy barreled rifle for years before I took my first deer with it in 75 followed by several more then switched to a 6mm Remington 788. Still have it and will never let it go. As I've mentioned in another post my twin brother has the 26" model with consecutive serial numbers.
Without the box and papers that $700 price is probably on the higher side of current market more in line with what LNIB goes for these days. IMHO
My go-to deer rifle has been a 788 in .308 for damn near 40 years. This coming season I plan to try my SRH in .454 Casull, at least in a couple of stands where the max range is 65-75 yards.

KIR

Sparks, NV
Not wild about commenorative rifles, but I do love Octagon levers!

I haven't see any flavor of Winchester for under $700 around here for several years. One word of advice- compare weight to a round barrel. The octagon, while totally cool, adds a bit of weight. That only matters if you are going to carry it in the field, however.

Hankus

Blackhawk
And … I made it back to the shop today and it was still waiting for me in the rack. It even came with 18 rounds of Winchester Silvertip ammo.

Attachments

• IMG_7612.jpeg
    IMG_7612.jpeg
    165.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7611.jpeg
    IMG_7611.jpeg
    157 KB · Views: 30
Very nice. They are fun shooters and you can reload them cheap. I loaded up some with 100GR. Plinkers at a real high velocity. You can also use 8-10GR of Unique and lead bullets for cheap fun.

I wanted the 1866-1966 from the first time I saw one in 1966 but was to broke. I finally bought one about 15 years ago for $400 and it had the $100+ Marbles sight on it.

1718905486089.png

1718905953097.png

1718906197097.png
1718906039729.png

Last edited: