Winchester Ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Pál_K

Guns. I has it.
Winchester White Box 9mm is fine. In fact, my 1916 DWM Luger liked it best of all.

For later reloading, I seem to recall the headstamps on the brass were mixed, though.
IMG_0536.jpeg

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
Another point to mention: IMHO one should avoid steel cased 9mm. I had a customer try that in his GLOCK with dismal results(split cases to be exact).
While I m not a pistol owner/shooter, and my handguns are revolvers, and none of them shoot 9mm ammo. However, I have dabbled with .45 ACP steel ammo (a pistol ammo that some revolvers can shoot), and it is always a problem. Since revolvers do not have any auto loading of the round into the chamber, the issue with steel based ammo is in the manual loading and unloading of the ammo/casings. They tend to expand too much, and this are a bit difficult to ejects (with the ejector rod). Sometimes the unspent ammo does not load into the cylinder too easily either, but the real main problem with steel ammo is the unloading of the spent casings.

I took my Mini 30 to a shoot with some friends and they ran some kind of cheap commie ammo... it smelled like Wolf, through it and I have never seen a gun so dirty... it looked like someone had poured mud down the barrel....

KurtC

Single-Sixer
Years ago, the only Winchester ammunition that was dirty or problematic was the white box fodder.

Since they opened the Mississippi plant, as well as taking over Lake City, their quality has dropped across the board. They are also using different nomenclature and box styles, which adds to the confusion.

The only ammunition I have found to be decent quality is their RED lineup, as in RED9 and RED45. Otherwise, I handload all my pistol ammo.

Their M1152 9mm is good quality, but it is hot. Like +P+ hot.

If you want to see if ammunition is dirty, inspect your pistol after 10 rounds, not 100.

hike

Bearcat
I'm a relatively new shooter and I go to the range every week with two 9 mm pistols. I'm a little freaked about ammo prices but I see great deals on Winchester. I've heard that it's dirty but I clean my firearms religiously after every trip to the range.
Should I still stay away?
My experience is less than good. Magtech (made in South America) is better 9mm. Even Turkish 9mm ammo is more reliable than Winchester white box 9mm.
The main issue is failure-to-fire. Great for malfunction drilling but not for target shooting/plinking.
Maybe the issue is that Winchester sells the crappy ammo in southern states. I don't know. I do know that I have heard about consistent problems with Winchester white box 9mm since the last century.
Right now, Winchester white box 9mm ammo is cheap but, from experience, a cheap price for a bad product is still a bad product. I want to enjoy shooting.
HTH

Punch7

Bearcat
Anyone tried Scorpion ammo? Im
very impressed by its accuracy but question why I can only load 14 rounds in any of the five Ruger Security 9 magazines I have.

Latest posts