Williams sights on a SingleSix. A how to.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

onemancoyote

Bearcat
I posted this on another forum and decided I would share here also:

I want to use my single six for varmint hunting with 22mags, but the sights that Ruger put on the gun from factory are too wide in my opinion. So I found this article, http://www.chuckhawks.com/sight_improvements.htm , but it was kind of confusing as to what I should order. So I did more research and ordered my stuff from midway.

You will need this base, http://www.midwayusa.com/product/92...ail-slot-for-625-barrel-steel-blue?cm_vc=S014 Marble's stock #072310

And this sight, http://www.midwayusa.com/product/43...40-width-steel-blue-1-16-gold-bead?cm_vc=S014 , Marble's stock #502921 or a different bead on this if that is what interestes you. I wanted a small gold bead.

Edit! This sight was too low for my use, I ran out of adjustment on the rear sight. I used a .375" instead with a redhawk v rear sight blade. If you used a factory rear sight I think the other would be fine. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/18...75-height-340-width-steel-blue-1-16-gold-bead

You will reuse the stock sight screw. The one they ship with the base didn't work for me. The factory screw will have to be shortened. I did mine with a table top grinder. I installed the base for fit, took it back off, used locktite and then reinstalled the base.

dMkzJqfl.jpg

I had to file the screw head down with a small file to get it flush.

You will then need to install the sight on the base. I copy/pasted Marble Arms instructions for this. GO SLOW. YOU ARE NOT IN A HURRY. If things get frustrating walk away.

"If the front sight or the dovetail slot blank will not start or is a very tight fit, the dovetail may need to be modified slightly. Use a parallel side, three corner, safe file designed for this work. A safe file has only one side that cuts, with the other two being smooth. Make a very light pass with the file and check the fit. Remember, you can't replace metal after you remove it, so work very slowly and check often. Finish by turning the file at an angle to put a very slight bevel on the edge to help start the sight or dovetail slot blank." End quote

Most people I think use a hammer and brass/aluminum punch to drift the sight in. Youtube has a lot of videos on installing dovetail sights. Watch them.

My stupid butt had to be different.

I tried pressing mine in with a large shop vise. I marred my new sight and scratched my barrel. I wouldn't recommend it. My gun was already beat up when I bought it, so I don't care. Such is the price of experience. I wound up doing the best with a small parrallel jaw vise with a set of smooth jaws installed. Most people won't have access to these though. I pity the poor soul who tries to remove my sight without this tool. I don't think a hammer and punch will get it out. If you are uncomfortable let a pro (not me!) do it for you.

From now on I will do it the correct way, the way marbles recommends.

The rear blade is a v-notch for a Ruger Redhawk. My Blackhawk, Single-six, Redhawk, and GP-100 all use the same sight blade. I think it fits best with the now small front sight.

IYFlI75l.jpg

^^^ Crappy cell phone pic.^^^

m9VpUgwl.jpg

RANGE REPORT #1

POI was several inches too high and I ran out of adjustment. The new front sight is the same height as the factory front sight, but the new rear sight blade is taller than the factory blade. I'm going to push the new front sight out and go with a taller insert. My friend who is a retired gunsmith has several different heights.

The sight picture was a big improvement over the old sights, though.

RANGE REPORT #2

I used my gunsmith buddy's Williams Sight Press and it made removing and reinstalling a new front sight easy! I went with a .375" front sight insert and everything lines up great. Sadly it's hard to find 22mag around here right now, but I will get those pictures of groups I promised. After the sight in I had 6 left. I stepped out of my cool house into the sun to get a picture of the gun and the condensation formed instantly.

gvEpzVwl.jpg

;)

onemancoyote

Bearcat
I will try and find that book! My buddy has a redhawk with a v and front gold dot, which is what got me wanting these sights on my SS.

Latest posts