Will this scope mount on my rifle with supplied rings?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SIGWatchman

Bearcat
I recently purchased a Ruger M77 tactical. It has a heavy varmint (tactical) barrel. Using the supplied rings I mounted a Leupold VX-I 4-12x40 with no problems.

Well the only problem is my eyes don't like the scope at maximum magnification. I am thinking about something with an adjustable objective. The VX-II series will fit just fine and I just may go with the 6-18x40mm and be happy.

However, I noticed the Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 with a side focus for about $50 cheaper. I fiddled with one at Gander Mountain the other day and I really like the idea of side focus, it's also a very nice scope.

However, will it fit? Gander said to just bring the rifle up which is fine but Gander doesn't have reticle choices and I'd prefer to have the mil-dot version.

Can any offer any advice?

Thanks.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
I would venture to guess you aren't going to have an issue with a 42mm scope. How much room do you have with the VX-II? With most rifles you have a little slack at the bell end of the scope because of the barrels profile which you probably don't have with a heavy barrel. But a side focus scope will also be smaller at the objective end than a traditional adjustable objective scope since you don't have the adjustment ring at the end.

My 2 cents worth here also is I would rather have the Monarch vs. a VX-II. You are getting a lot more scope with the Nikon as far as features if you compare the two.

Divernhunter

Single-Sixer
The 40 or 42mm scope should fit. I would go with the Leupold myself. It also offers my magnification which is goodon a varmit rifle. I have a 6.5X20 on my 204Ruger and it is good.