WILL RUGER PC 9 CARBINE ACCEPT MAGS FROM ANY GEN GLOCK?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gbono2

Bearcat
I am getting a Ruger PC 9 carbine this week. I want to have mags on hand so I can try it out. I have read the carbine accepts Glock 17 mags, but nowhere have I seen if the Gen of the Glock mag matters for this carbine.

Can anyone advise me on this question?

Also, what aftermarket mag other than Glock has the best reliability?

Thanks all -- I look forward to your advice1

9x19

Hunter
I had three at one time, and they all worked just fine with both Gen 3 and Gen 5 magazines.

Magpul magazines also worked well in mine.

I've sold all of mine (just too many guns for an older guy) in favor of other 9mms I have, but never had any issues with the Rugers.

PC9 ? Is that what you're really asking about? They do not use Glock magazines.

The new PCC ? I can only guess that's what you're referring to. Mine takes any Glock mag I've ever tried. Never paid any attention to which gen Glock mags I have. Now I'm gonna have to look and see which gen I have...

I just looked. None of my Glock mags are marked in any way. Some older, some brand new. Must be no difference.

Last edited:

BearBiologist

Buckeye

The new PCC ? I can only guess that's what you're referring to. Mine takes any Glock mag I've ever tried. Never paid any attention to which gen Glock mags I have. Now I'm gonna have to look and see which gen I have...

I just looked. None of my Glock mags are marked in any way. Some older, some brand new. Must be no difference.

From Chuck Hawk's review: "You get one 17 round Ruger SR series magazine with the rifle and a Glock magazine well adapter is also included. Already, some enterprising individuals have machined notches in their S&W M&P magazines to use in this rifle, so it would not be surprising to see more magazine adapters being made available."

I am getting a Ruger PC 9 carbine this week. I want to have mags on hand so I can try it out. I have read the carbine accepts Glock 17 mags, but nowhere have I seen if the Gen of the Glock mag matters for this carbine.

Can anyone advise me on this question?

Also, what aftermarket mag other than Glock has the best reliability?

Thanks all -- I look forward to your advice1

If you are referring to the current production PC carbine with Glock magwell adapter, I believe it will handle any generation Glock magazine IF YOU KEEP THE MAG RELEASE BUTTON ON THE LEFT SIDE. If you reverse the mag release so the button is on the right side (which is my preference), the PCC will only work with newer Glock mags that are notched on both sides for an ambidextrous mag release.

As far as 9mm aftermarket Glock-compatible mags, the Magpul mags in multiple capacities have been 100% reliable for me - plus, they're notched for either left or right side release. I personally prefer the Magpul mags, because you don't need a special tool to remove the floorplates.

IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc.

mikeAZ

Single-Sixer
I posted this somewhere?, ....... Use the ETS mags, 20,30, 40 rounders all work 100%. Usually about $15.00 for the 40's @ BOTECH. I like the clear ones.....

Snake Pleskin

Banned

There is a very small number on the top of the follower. it could be a 1,2,3,4,etc. It will tell you the age of the mag. #1 is first gen.

contender

Ruger Guru
I won a PCC9 carbine at my NRA event in Feb. It's been excellent with my Ruger factory mags.
I wanted to use it in USPSA competition, and so I got some aftermarket 33 round Glock mags. Apparently, they do not mark these things with a Gen specific designation.
But apparently there must be something about them. As I can not get 100% reliability in feeding when shooting these aftermarket mags. I can easily get the glock mags to rock forward or backward when using them, if I put my hand on them.
I haven't gotten the bugs out yet, and I may look at a couple of the Magpul or BOTECH ones.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
I won a PCC9 carbine at my NRA event in Feb. It's been excellent with my Ruger factory mags.
I wanted to use it in USPSA competition, and so I got some aftermarket 33 round Glock mags. Apparently, they do not mark these things with a Gen specific designation.
But apparently there must be something about them. As I can not get 100% reliability in feeding when shooting these aftermarket mags. I can easily get the glock mags to rock forward or backward when using them, if I put my hand on them.
I haven't gotten the bugs out yet, and I may look at a couple of the Magpul or BOTECH ones.
If they are "real" Glock mags they should work. On regular Glock mags like the 19, 17 etc, on the top of the follower, in the little front indented tab of the follower there is a very small number. That will tell you the generation of the mag.

Attachments

• glock Mag2.jpg
    glock Mag2.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 176
  • glock Mag3.jpg
    glock Mag3.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 195
  • glock Mags.jpg
    glock Mags.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 206

hittman

Staff member
KCI aftermarket G17 mags work without fail in my PC Carbine.

High capacity mags are frequently a problem in my experience.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
KCI aftermarket G17 mags work without fail in my PC Carbine.

High capacity mags are frequently a problem in my experience.
I only own one 33 rd mag. I use it in my KelTec SUb 2000. I have never used it in my Ruger PC, sticks out to far looks hideous! It is original Glock. It works fine. I do not own any others because frankly they just get in the way, hang up on things, are aa pita to load etc. Easier to just use a 17 mag and switch it out.

contender

Ruger Guru
I understand that once you start going to the 25+ sized magazines,, you can & often will get feeding issues. And many folks don't have a desire or a "need" for them. But if you are shooting a USPSA competition where TIME is a big factor,, you do not want to waste TIME reloading a firearm. You NEED high capacity magazines,, that function flawlessly to be competitive.
Hence,, my need for 33 round magazines,, that function flawlessly.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
I understand that once you start going to the 25+ sized magazines,, you can & often will get feeding issues. And many folks don't have a desire or a "need" for them. But if you are shooting a USPSA competition where TIME is a big factor,, you do not want to waste TIME reloading a firearm. You NEED high capacity magazines,, that function flawlessly to be competitive.
Hence,, my need for 33 round magazines,, that function flawlessly.
I understand. How many rounds do you need to run the course? Perhaps the original Glock manuf. 24 rd or 33 rds are what will work?

contender

Ruger Guru
In USPSA,, a stage can require a minimum of 32 rounds to complete. If you happen to miss or something,, you may need a few more rounds. But, if the stage only requires,, say,, 28 rounds,, then you can use (1) high cap (32-33 round) magazine, and never have to reload. It saves time. And scores are a combination of accuracy AND time.
And a fraction of a second can make a huge difference if you have competitors who are very equal in abilities & such. So every time you can shave time off your "run" you can come out on top.
We do all kinds of things to try & save time in a stage. So,, my need for high cap mags is a must to be competitive.
I know people who have custom built guns & use up to 50 round mags.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
In USPSA,, a stage can require a minimum of 32 rounds to complete. If you happen to miss or something,, you may need a few more rounds. But, if the stage only requires,, say,, 28 rounds,, then you can use (1) high cap (32-33 round) magazine, and never have to reload. It saves time. And scores are a combination of accuracy AND time.
And a fraction of a second can make a huge difference if you have competitors who are very equal in abilities & such. So every time you can shave time off your "run" you can come out on top.
We do all kinds of things to try & save time in a stage. So,, my need for high cap mags is a must to be competitive.
I know people who have custom built guns & use up to 50 round mags.
Thanks, I appreciate the information on the USPSA! Good luck with you hunt for Mags.