Will Ruger ever release a SR40 model pistol?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Phenom

Bearcat
I know this question has been posed before, but I don't know if there has been an confirmation or rejection of this idea from Ruger, be it official or unofficial? I really like the SR9, but I would much rather prefer a .40 model. Seems like it would be easy enough since 9mms and .40s often can share the same basic frame w/ a few different parts here & there.

What's the hold up?

jhearne

Buckeye
No one can say 100% yes or no. Ruger hasn't made plans though there have been rumors, none of which hold much water. The main thing we can think is that with the minor to mild issues with peening and such an SR40 doesn't seem to be around the corner.

That said Ruger's new marketing strategy is to design and test then announce and give a month or so lead time for a stock to build up. Won't know until it happens really.

Josh

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
S&W comes out with the M&P's in 9mm,40 S&W, .45... and Compact models. XD in 9, 40, 45, Compact etc. Seems every maker does this. Then Ruger comes out with the 345, nothing follows. Then the SR9. If no 40, 45, and then compact follows, then one wonders what the heck Ruger is thinking. Maybe rather than the "isolated" 345, the SR9 is the "turning point" for Ruger, and they'll finally get a whole line going. However, they may have been a bit "hasty" in the release of the SR9 in an attempt to compete with other makers in that they apparently weren't careful enough to make sure all of the bugs were worked out before release. In any case, I'd love to see a whole line of "SR's", including a compact model.

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
Do not forget, Ruger also has a lawsuit against it now, in the name of investors. The lawsuit is apparently because when they switched production styles (to one where they do not keep a stock of parts), they apparently fell way behind in getting finished products out the door (It did not help that the same time the lawsuit mentions as a backlog was the same time everyone was buying anything semi-automatic leading up to the election).

As Ruger is now being sued for this, I doubt that we will see any signifigant new products until they have the majority (if not all) back orders filled. Sure we might see things like special 10/22's or 77 Hawkeye's with special hogue stocks, but I do not see new calibers etc. coming out really soon.

As others have mentioned, Ruger needs to get the SR9 100% before they release the SR40 or SR45.

As Ruger finally worked all of the issues out of the P345, I am not sure why they did not release the P309 to replace the P95. (At least I think they are all worked out. Did ruger fix the problem on the P345 where if you pulled the trigger with the safety on that it could break the gun?).

Charlie

Leucoandro":fei2ssu7 said:
Do not forget, Ruger also has a lawsuit against it now, in the name of investors. The lawsuit is apparently because when they switched production styles (to one where they do not keep a stock of parts), they apparently fell way behind in getting finished products out the door (It did not help that the same time the lawsuit mentions as a backlog was the same time everyone was buying anything semi-automatic leading up to the election).

As Ruger is now being sued for this, I doubt that we will see any signifigant new products until they have the majority (if not all) back orders filled. Sure we might see things like special 10/22's or 77 Hawkeye's with special hogue stocks, but I do not see new calibers etc. coming out really soon.

Charlie

This makes no sense

What exactly happened? Any more info on this? Ruger is being sued because of backlog??

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
DA_TriggR4Ruger":1frx1c0z said:
This makes no sense

What exactly happened? Any more info on this? Ruger is being sued because of backlog??

The way I understand the articles. The people sueing are saying that Management failed to run the company efficiently and get the product to the consumer.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Glancy Binkow & Goldberg LLP announced that it has filed a class action lawsuit in the United States District Court for the District of Connecticut on behalf of a class consisting of all persons or entities who purchased the common stock of Sturm, Ruger & Company between April 23, 2007 and October 29, 2007, inclusive. The Complaint charges the Company and certain of its executive officers with violations of federal securities laws. The Company engages in the design, manufacture and sale of firearms in the United States. The Complaint alleges that throughout the Class Period defendants knew or recklessly disregarded that their public statements concerning the Company's operations, financial performance, and prospects were materially false and misleading. Specifically, the defendants made false and/or misleading statements and/or failed to disclose that: (a) reductions in inventory balances by the Company in the first and second quarters of 2007 had reduced the Company's parts and components inventories below efficient levels, preventing the Company's manufacturing units from meeting production and shipment schedules and resulting in the Company's inability to sustain current or historical sales levels; (b) the Company's backlog of unfilled purchase orders was materially inflated because of the Company's inability to meet current production and shipping schedules due to inventory shortages; (c) defendants misrepresented the actual demand for the Company's products.

Same thing, different company:
Shalov Stone Bonner & Rocco LLP announced that a class action lawsuit was filed on behalf of purchasers of Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. common stock between April 23, 2007 and October 29, 2007

Same thing, Different company:
Law Offices of Howard G. Smith announced that a securities class action lawsuit has been filed on behalf of all purchasers of the common stock of Sturm, Ruger & Company, between April 23, 2007, and October 29, 2007

Kendall Law Group, led by a former federal judge and former US Attorney, announced that a lawsuit has been filed against Sturm, Ruger & Company for securities violations related to public statements made by the company between April 23, 2007 and October 29, 2007

The law firm of Izard Nobel LLP announced that a lawsuit seeking class action status has been filed in the United States District Court for the District of Connecticut on behalf of those who purchased the common stock of Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. between April 23, 2007 and October 29, 2007
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.reuters.com/finance/stocks/k ... 0930220400

revhigh

Hawkeye
Leucoandro":291xgqnn said:
Did ruger fix the problem on the P345 where if you pulled the trigger with the safety on that it could break the gun?).

No, as far as I know, they just updated the owner's manual to tell you not to do it. That is essentially a dead model anyway ... kinda stands on it's own, and doesn't sell at all. I'm surprised it's even in the catalog anymore.

I think the issue was pulling the trigger with no mag ... not sure about the safety as you mentioned, Charlie.

REV

Jumping Frog

Bearcat
Pops 1":14fzxb2x said:
I do not believe the SR9 frame would hold up to the 40 S&W round. It is not doing to good of a job with the 9mm round.
I've heard of no issues with the frame. Barrel? Yes. Frame? No.

2fast4u

Single-Sixer
Jeff H":38ijf2p1 said:
(I love mine)

Same for me. no issues in the 1st 1000 rounds.

They can't get the SR9 right. Confused Why would they make the SR40?

Do you actually own one of these guns or are you just one of the internet rumor spreaders?

yeah i now have about 500 rounds through my SR9 and no problemsno peening.... not even a FTF or fail to reload,even when my GF limp wrist-ed that hell out of it.

Charger22

Bearcat
TruthNotRelative":2ueppzj1 said:
S&W comes out with the M&P's in 9mm,40 S&W, .45... and Compact models. XD in 9, 40, 45, Compact etc. Seems every maker does this. Then Ruger comes out with the 345, nothing follows. Then the SR9. If no 40, 45, and then compact follows, then one wonders what the heck Ruger is thinking. Maybe rather than the "isolated" 345, the SR9 is the "turning point" for Ruger, and they'll finally get a whole line going. However, they may have been a bit "hasty" in the release of the SR9 in an attempt to compete with other makers in that they apparently weren't careful enough to make sure all of the bugs were worked out before release. In any case, I'd love to see a whole line of "SR's", including a compact model.

I agree, how many different "Hard R" lines have been in their adds. I wish we could just have one consistent line. And the lcp should have been the SR380.

S&W Fan

Bearcat
Lets not forget, glocks have been around for a while, but well before they were introduced to the american market they had their problems too. Glocks also started out on a 9mm platform, and have since moved up to larger calibers. Lets give ruger the same chance. So far im happy with my sr9. No offense to anyone but id take my cz p-01 over any ruger or GLOCK. Well give ruger the same chancve to be as reliable though. time will tell

michael hacker

Bearcat
At this point in time, 6/30/10, the NEW SR9 is absolutely 100% better than the post re-call one. The very latest ideration is almost a different gun. The mag release is the backward "D" button and easily releases the mag. The takedown lever is just like the SR9C, but best of all, the new trigger is scary light, no over travel, no gritty feel etc. It is an absolute joy to shoot, accurate and light. I now have the SR9C, (which is also a joy to shoot, over 5000 rounds with NO problems) and the newest full size with about 2000 rounds with NO problems. I have a friend who owns Glocks, and now agrees that the newest SR9's are far and away more comfortable and fun to shoot. Glock is still easier to field strip, as there is no take down lever to remove, but other than that, Ruger has done it... finally beat the Glock, (in my and my friend's opinion) Believe me, at first I hated the post re-call SR, but with this latest version, I am sold. I am also seeing more aftermarket accessories available for the SR9, so a movement is now begining.

-Michael
www.michaelhacker.com