Will have to be defenseless for awhile

Help Support Ruger Forum:

vito

Hunter
I normally carry every time I leave my home. I used to visit NYC when my mother was alive, and would leave my firearm in my camper parked in PA when doing so, and hated the feeling of being essentially defenseless. After my Mom passed away I have not been back to NYC and have told my brother and sister that if they want to see me they can come to IL where I live, and where I can legally carry. But yesterday one of my son's, age 47, had a mild heart attack and will have to be undergoing extensive open heart surgery in several days. I will be flying out to L.A. where he lives and is hospitalized since driving is not feasible. So for this trip I will be unable to have a firearm with me during my time in L.A. and as much as I want to be with my son, I dread being unarmed, especially in that part of the country. As a nation we have made so much progress in recent decades in terms of securing our rights as guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment but we clearly have a way to go to truly be able to exercise what should be a right anywhere in this country. Until we have full reciprocity for carry licenses, or even better, Constitutional carry declared by the Supreme Court, we will still be dangerously limited by the gun control freaks of the Left. But the need to see my son, and offer what comfort I can during this ordeal is more important than my dread of being unarmed.

FWIW, of all of my five adult children, this son is the last one I would have expected to have heart issues. He has been a health nut all of his life, never smoking, never drinking, and staying thin and fit all of his life. But I guess genetics and the DNA that he got from me and me wife is what caused him to have several blocked coronary arteries at his relatively young age. I alone among my siblings have heart issues, and had to go through quintuple bypass surgery 26 years ago, and now at least this one son seems to have inherited my heart issues. Thank goodness for modern medicine.

Enigma

Hunter
I hope your son recovers fully and quickly. Prayers for the families involved. I totally agree about CCW reciprocity, but I don't anticipate seeing either nationwide reciprocity or constitutional carry during my lifetime.

Paul B

Buckeye
Sorry about your son. Prayers sent for healing. Just another wishing we could have reciprocity with ALL of the states . I don't travel much but my CCW is recognized by 31states including my own.

The following is a very handy site to have if planning on a trip and want to know if one can take their CCW piece with them.
https://handgunlaw.us/
Paul B.

vito

Hunter
Sorry, and I hope he recovers stronger than ever. Just curious, did he get the vaccine?
He did. But the blockage found was likely building up for many, many years. I had a similar situation to his but I was a bit older. I was 53, had no symptoms other than some mild shortness of breath when I went out for a run, and had to undergo quintuple coronary bypass surgery. Looks like he inherited my genes for heart disease.

contender

Ruger Guru
First off,,, prayers for a successful surgery, and a quick recovery.

As for being defenseless.
As mentioned,, be VERY aware of your surroundings, watch where you go, and maybe find an item you are legally allowed to carry,, (cane, walking stick, etc,) and keep it with you.

redhawker

Buckeye
Sorry about your son. Prayers sent for healing. Just another wishing we could have reciprocity with ALL of the states . I don't travel much but my CCW is recognized by 31states including my own.

The following is a very handy site to have if planning on a trip and want to know if one can take their CCW piece with them.
https://handgunlaw.us/
Paul B.
When it comes to Commiefornia it's easy to figure out. Commiefornia does not honor any other state's permits. Commiefornia doesn't issue non-resident permits. The only people that can carry (besides law enforcement) are residents that are fortunate enough to live in a county that actually issues CCW permits and most of those have numerous hoops to jump through to get one and it usually takes somewhere around 9 months, give or take a little, to get one. So, if you are a resident of another state it's easy...you cannot legally carry in Commiefornia.

And vito, hope your son does well. They're pretty good at fixing those nowadays as long as you survive the initial attack.

Joezilla

Bearcat
Man, that stinks! Hope your son recovers quickly. I have not been out to LA, California in about 20 years, and it was bad then. I won't go back. Be safe sir!

Joe

vito

Hunter
Prayers up for your son. What part of L A? It makes a difference.
He actually lives in Santa Monica which I know is far better, crime-wise, than the actual city of Los Angeles.

The doctors put him on a drug that they now say they will have to wait as much as 5 days for the drug to leave his system before the surgery can take place. But he's in a very well respected hospital and now in a private room. So my wife is flying out today to help our daughter in law with the kids and free her up to be with our son at the hospital, and I will join them in about a week when he should be getting ready to come home. Thanks to all for the good thoughts and well wishes.

buckaroo

Banned
He actually lives in Santa Monica which I know is far better, crime-wise, than the actual city of Los Angeles.

It's wall to wall homeless encampments. Don't go for a stroll, it will be a rude awakening to the progressive Liberal utopia. :)

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
Hopefully the hospital is Cedars. They did my heart valve replacement and multiple heart surgeries on my BIL’s. Including his heart transplant. And multiple procedures on another BIL. It’s one of the top places worldwide.

Best of luck to your son. Scary when kids have serious medical issues. They’re supposed to visit us in hospitals. Not the other way around.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
A National CCW program. Seems the previous POTUS made that promise during his 2016 campaign. We got fence posts instead.
Hi,

Fixed it for ya. Yet there are still people bowing down the kiss the ring of the guy talkin' so big about the great wonders of the world that would have to be relocated to make room for all his accomplishments.

He sure was gonna do a lot of stuff, wasn't he? And where are the results? To borrow from Nancy Pelosi a few years back on another great con: "You're gonna have to re-elect me to see."

Getting back on topic, best of luck to Vito's son, prayers for all involved and do as suggested, paying attention to where you are.

Rick C

40nascar

Banned
I normally carry every time I leave my home. I used to visit NYC when my mother was alive, and would leave my firearm in my camper parked in PA when doing so, and hated the feeling of being essentially defenseless. After my Mom passed away I have not been back to NYC and have told my brother and sister that if they want to see me they can come to IL where I live, and where I can legally carry. But yesterday one of my son's, age 47, had a mild heart attack and will have to be undergoing extensive open heart surgery in several days. I will be flying out to L.A. where he lives and is hospitalized since driving is not feasible. So for this trip I will be unable to have a firearm with me during my time in L.A. and as much as I want to be with my son, I dread being unarmed, especially in that part of the country. As a nation we have made so much progress in recent decades in terms of securing our rights as guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment but we clearly have a way to go to truly be able to exercise what should be a right anywhere in this country. Until we have full reciprocity for carry licenses, or even better, Constitutional carry declared by the Supreme Court, we will still be dangerously limited by the gun control freaks of the Left. But the need to see my son, and offer what comfort I can during this ordeal is more important than my dread of being unarmed.

FWIW, of all of my five adult children, this son is the last one I would have expected to have heart issues. He has been a health nut all of his life, never smoking, never drinking, and staying thin and fit all of his life. But I guess genetics and the DNA that he got from me and me wife is what caused him to have several blocked coronary arteries at his relatively young age. I alone among my siblings have heart issues, and had to go through quintuple bypass surgery 26 years ago, and now at least this one son seems to have inherited my heart issues. Thank goodness for modern medicine.

You can possess a firearm in California, but need to have a carry permit to carry outside of your residence ( including a temporary residence ). So if you are staying at your Son's home, you can have it there. Ca law also allows you to possess a firearm at a hotel/Motel ( In your room ), and at campsites. When you are traveling between residences, your handgun must be in a locked container. You should arrive are your departing airplane at least 2 hrs. Ahead of time. And remember, no mags above 10 rnd. Capacity, and no "assault weapons". Standard looking handguns are fine. They just don't want you bringing in AR pistols, Mac's, Tech Nines, ect.

Latest posts