Wild Boar - It's what's for dinner

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Badger Matt

Single-Sixer
First meal of the hogs my son and I shot yesterday. We used backstrap this go 'round. Not sure what to call the recipe, perhaps "Pineapple Pig."

- Marinate meat for several hours, overnight is better, in apple juice
- Pat meat dry
- Coat meat in flour and pan fry just enough to get a little 'crust' on the outide to seal in juices.
- Quarter apples enough to cover the bottom of the Tagine (or crock pot)
This is a Tagine, a Moroccan crock pot if you will...
DSCF0401.jpg

- Pour a small amount (1/4 cup or less) of apple juice in the Tagine
- Heat Tagine on low/simmer heat; barely enough to bubble the juice
- Take meat from frying pan and place on top of apple quarters so it doesn't rest in the liquid
- Lay pineapple rings on meat and sprinkle pork run or other spices lightly over meat/pineapple
DSCF0400.jpg

- Cook on low heat for 3-4 hours
- Sprinkle brown sugar over meat/pineapple
- Cook one hour more
DSCF0404.jpg

- Serve with sweet German wine, spaghetti squash, and rolls

Anyone else have any wild boar recipes? I'd love to have some suggestions on ways to slow cook ribs, BBQ style, in the oven.

ClintV

Single-Sixer
Anyone else have any wild boar recipes? I'd love to have some suggestions on ways to slow cook ribs, BBQ style, in the oven.

Yep, but my "oven" is made of an old propane tank and heated with oak logs out on the back porch.........it'd probably smoke up the kitchen a little too much for most folks. :wink:

I treat wild pork pretty much like domestic pork, just keeping in mind that it's much leaner and may need a little added moisture. If I'm smoking it, I'll sop it every half hour or so till I get a good smoke ring on it, then wrap it in foil to hold the moisture while I finish it low and slow.

I haven't had as good luck with ribs, just because they don't have the high fat of domestic pork. The few times I've tried them on the smoker they have been pretty dry.........they go in the sausage now, and I'll save a shoulder for the smoker. I oughta try harder, cause ribs is my favoritest thing in the world, ( next to my dog and my wife of course. ):lol:

BearBio

Buckeye
1. Cover chops (fat trimmed) with Campbell's golden mushroom soup (straight from can). 375 for about an hour. serve with rice.

2. Take ribs (young pigs-old ones are pretty rank). Place in a roasting pan on a rack. Put about 1-2 cups of a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water in the bottom of the roaster. Cider or wine vinegar works best. Dry season pork as desired. Cover tightly with foil. Cook on low (250-275) for several hours. Time varies. Start checking at about 3 hours. At 5 hours it'll be falling off the bone. Remove from oven and baste with your favorite bbq or teriyaki sauce. Broil on low until sauce carmelizes, turning and basting frequently.

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
Badger Matt, your recipe sounds wonderful.
I've never been a hog hunter but know a couple of people who are. Maybe they could use a lesson in cooking from you. I've tried their smoked boar and it was some of the rankest meat I ever tried to eat! There is a reason those little male piggies on the hog farm lose their testicles at an early age and it ain't to keep them from breeding!
On the other hand, I never tried wild sow. That could be a whole nuther taste!

Badger Matt

Single-Sixer
Thanks folks. BearBio, I'm going to try your rib recipe - sounds nice. Next recipe I'll show-off is one I got from a former TSgt of mine -- wild boar Bulgogi...mmmmm....