Wife was attacked by Wild Hogs today

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Roland, what a beautiful area you live in. Almost enough to tempt me out of Idaho. With all that water, do you have trouble with flooding? Sure is green already this time of year. Thanks for the pics. Oh and I think I'd be more comfortable with the GP100 with some 180'
s. Carrying a shield is pretty brave. Reminds me of Phil Shoemaker taking an S&W 3913 9mm to show some people where they fish. A brown bear took offense and he used the 3913 with Buffalo bore 147's to kill the bear. Fair amount of luck involved but he's very familiar with bears and knew exactly where to shoot. Personally I'm not that flexible, with what I carry.

Mus408

Hunter
Wow very nice! Where is this place?
I know not a Ruger but I would be carrying my S&W 69 4.2 barrel.

RolandDeschain

Blackhawk
Bear Paw Jack said:
Roland, what a beautiful area you live in. Almost enough to tempt me out of Idaho. With all that water, do you have trouble with flooding? Sure is green already this time of year. Thanks for the pics. Oh and I think I'd be more comfortable with the GP100 with some 180'
s. Carrying a shield is pretty brave. Reminds me of Phil Shoemaker taking an S&W 3913 9mm to show some people where they fish. A brown bear took offense and he used the 3913 with Buffalo bore 147's to kill the bear. Fair amount of luck involved but he's very familiar with bears and knew exactly where to shoot. Personally I'm not that flexible, with what I carry.

I personally don't have any flooding problems because both my house and cabin are up on a hill. But yes, if you live in the bottoms flash floods can be a big problem. Ergo the TVA and their flood control schemes, but even they get overwhelmed occasionally and just have to dump it. Its been a few years back but a flash flood took out the big mall at Opryland and they had to rebuild.

Carrying the Shield hiking was just a moment of stupid. I have been wearing it fishing because its so small and handy it stays out of the way but is still effective at boat ramp ranges. At the last minute I looked at the weather and decided it was more a hiking than fishing day so didn't take the boat but already had the Shield out. Honestly hogs are not much of a threat unless they accidentally run over you trying to get away, and bears are extremely rare where we go and would be spookier even than the hogs, so the main threat is just some random druggies which would be remote at that, so the Shield is ok. But still its not ideal ergo the Glock.

And there are several reasons I prefer the Glock over a revolver. The first is capacity - the second is when hiking its not uncommon for me to slip and fall in the mud or rocks. The Glock is already scuffed up and it certainly won't break. Would feel bad though scuffing up a nice revolver.

357 mag is unquestionably the superior caliber over the 357 sig though - and if I were HUNTING - that would be an obvious choice. But for hiking though, the G32 has a lot going for it. My SBH 44 magnum would be ok for hunting too but its heavy and slow and besides I don't shoot it as well as any of the above. I do like the 44 in my Marlin 1894 though, 8)

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
RolandDeschain" This is part of a family group of 4 I have been watching for the past year and they are constantly doing the fighting thing.... I figure one of them must be a yankee....or worse a democrat...because I get pics of them fighting about every week. :lol: [/quote said:
Hi,

Roland, the old saying goes "Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by pure stupidity." A former neighbor, originally from TN, would say that's just two SEC fans who like different teams. (His BIL was a 'Bama fan, so I guess he knew of which he spoke!) ;)

Rick C

Number9

Blackhawk
From Low Gap Point overlooking Coppinger Cove and the Little Sequatchie River....

coppinger_1.jpg

Roland, I am glad you all are safe! Nothing like an adrenaline rush! My son and I used to camp on the shelf above where you stand in the waterfall area. During the day we explored the cave. The waterfall inside is as big as outside. Multiple entrances. During summer a neat place to hang out due to the "air conditioning". In the winter because it was indoors and warmer than outside. My second wife's BIL owned it back then. May still?
gramps

harley08

Blackhawk
Carry a Carbine - 44mag - 300 Blk or a .308 semi auto rifle then You could have had a Hog BBQ!

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
I am glad my walking around gun is a 44 magnum. A 500 SW if I am in a bear area. I think I would be cooking BBQ!