Why the lack of blued double actions?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Kyhunt

Single-Sixer
I was curious why Ruger offers the blued double actions in alot less offerrings than the stainless. Dont get me wrong, I like the stainless and have a Sp101 3" and GP100 5". But a nice deep blued double action would be nice. I like the way they look. I know they show the the gp100 still in blue on their site but I've never seen one out anywhere. Last year I came across a Redhawk that was blue but passed to buy the Gp100. Now I notice they dont show the blue Redhawk on their site. Are blued guns slow sellers?? Is Ruger getting rid of them?

Lo-Bo

Bearcat
I would imagine that the stainless guns sell better than the blued guns and so Ruger builds more of the stainless than blue.

jazzman

Single-Sixer
I have not come across any new blue guns either. Not sure how the new blue looks, I heard it looks more like black paint than a deep blueing, if that is the case I will stay with my stainless ones. I did see an older gp100 that had a nice blue finish and I am going to take a second look this week. Anyone care to comment on how the blue guns look.

Jim

CraigC

Hawkeye
Probably lack of sales. Ruger's bluing has never been too impressive but ever since Taffin did an article on a Bowen-built 4" Redhawk .50Spl, I've lusted after a bright blued 4" Redhawk. 20yrs of lusting!!!

J Miller

Blackhawk
Costs more to properly polish and blue a carbon steel revolver.
Costs less to do a semi matt finish on a stainless revolver and send it out the door.

So they do a so so job on the stainless, charge more for it and laugh at those who think they got a good deal.
All the while making a bigger profit.

I prefer blued guns. Never owned a stainless one.

Joe

Kyhunt

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the imput. Its kind of what I thought but was just wondering. I had a Taruas ( dont laugh) 689 357 for about 15 years. I sold it about 2 years ago to fund my Sp101. While I much prefer the Rugers I sure did like the way the blue on it looked.

Nicley blued 5.5" Redhawk from 2007. I, too prefer blue over stainless.

Redhawk005.jpg

Rclark

Hunter
Oh man, that is nice.... Almost makes me want to get a DA sometime ;) .

Always figured that all guns were to be blue, bright & shiney were for Hollywood Cowboys
My sentiments exactly :) . The bright & shiny things are just 'unfinished' products from the factory ;) .

EarlFH

Single-Sixer
My local dealer had two Blued, 6", half lug, GP 100's, with beautiful bluing on them, recently. Someone here on the forum got one of them. Maybe more people like the ease of maintaining them, in stainless. Especially if you spend much time outdoors in inclement weather.

EarlFH

Kyhunt

Single-Sixer
OOOOOHHHHHH. A blue GP100 half lug. Now thats sweet. I almost bought one last year through Davidson. But when I decided to sleep on it it went from 14 to 1 overnight. As I was pulling the trigger to buy it someone must of beat me because as I was complete the transaction it went to unavailable. :(

MMichaelAK

Single-Sixer
My first Ruger revolver is a blued six inch GP100 with the half lug. Fantastic gun. If you can find one, grab it and dont look back.

Nicksterdemus

Bearcat
Blue is beautiful baby.

I like SS for it's durability & I live in a humid climate.

I have a weakness for old, unpolished nickel that maintains a tarnished, yeller hue.

It's all supply and demand. If the DAs are mainly being bought for carry purposes for LEO. selld defense, and outdoor sporting use, the stainless is easier to care for and resists weather and corrosion mush better in a day to day carry environment. That dictates the buyers ordering more stainless and fewer blue. You see blued GPs and Security Six guns offered used quite regularly. Few new blued ones though. I hardly ever see a blued RH. I prefer the stainless in all the above because they would be working guns. jm2c

CraigC

Hawkeye
Ruger is catering to their biggest market. They sell the hell out of stainless guns because let's face it, most folks buying a gun today want it to be dishwasher safe. They want maintenance to be easy. It's plain as day when you see so many references on the `net about blued guns being a hassle to maintain. Usually out of people who have never owned one.

Stainless might be easier for the manufacturer to finish but it's always been tougher to machine because of galling. No free lunches.

bub

Single-Sixer
I'll have to go along with stainless selling more units. If Ruger suddenly got thousands of calls for blued DA revolvers, they would probably start making them again. It's all about what sells and what doesn't.

Myself, I'll buck the trend and say that I actually like the stainless revolvers. I must have battery acid for sweat, if I touch a blued finish and don't immediately wipe it down, it starts rusting FAST! It's so bad that, in the summer, I even have to wipe my stainless guns down within a day or so of sweating on them or touching them or the stainless will start to rust. For me, stainless guns and finishes like Melonite and Tenifer are the best things since sliced bread! You still have to maintain them, but you can get away with carrying or using them for a while before you have to wipe them down. I used to carry a Sig P226 on duty and, even during the winter, rust would start forming on the slide and controls in just a few hours. With stainless guns, no problems unless I forget to wipe them down after sweating on them.

Bub

Elmer

Bearcat
I like the looks of blued guns, and my range pistols and long guns are blued, but I do prefer stainless for every day carry. They are just easier to care for when in regular use, IMO.

I agree with others here who say it's probably just a supply-demand thing. Ruger makes what sells and I'm glad they do, because I want them to be around the next time I'm looking for a reliable new firearm. ;)

lfpiii

Blackhawk
The labor cost of bluing is not the only issue. Used bluing salts cause enviromental harm and must be treated as hazardous waste.