Why Ruger is Superior

Help Support Ruger Forum:

If your interested, I have a S and W Model 41 (.22) which I sent back to Smith and Wesson for repairs. Bought it used and as it turns out a previous "gunsmith" wrecked the slide. Fine, I agree they should not have to pay for an incompetent gunsmith's mistake.

But, they did charge me for other parts which were simply worn out, extractor and some springs. I know it's almost trivial, on top of an expensive slide, having to buy a few springs is the straw which broke the proverbial camel. Close to $300 for all.

The best part:
I complained about accuracy. I can only get a 2 inch group from a sandbag at 25 yards. The gunsmith I talked to when he called to explain the slide, said if it were 1 1/2 inches at 25 yards I'd be happy, so therefore, 2 inches isn't really that bad. No joke.

Meanwhile while technically a different class of pistol, my Single Six is running flawlessly since 1973.

I'll stick to Ruger and their customer service in the future.

Thanks Ruger.

greener

Single-Sixer
Seems to me that a 2" diameter is 4x bigger than a 1/2" diameter and the area is about 16x. 4 out my 5 Rugers, my 22A and my Buck Mark are very capable of sub 1" pushing 1/2" groups from a rest with the right ammo. I'd expect as good or better with an M41 and I'd figure I had some trigger puller problems if the groups on mine were two inches.

I'm not an M41 expert, but it doesn't sound as if any of the repairs would have much to do with the pistol's precision. Did you fire it before it went to S&W? Did you try different ammo? Sounds like the smith that fixed the slide may have fixed the barrel also.

I'm a bit surprised that S&W would be that cavalier about the accuracy of the premier .22 target shooter.

AkRay

Single-Sixer
I would say try different brands of ammunition in it. I would only use target ammo in it. I thought once that bulk high speed should work, but the gun isn't made to use it.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Kevin":1j447qcm said:
The best part: [/b] I complained about accuracy. I can only get a 2 inch group from a sandbag at 25 yards. The gunsmith I talked to when he called to explain the slide, said if it were 1 1/2 inches at 25 yards I'd be happy, so therefore, 2 inches isn't really that bad. No joke.
My field-grade Ciener .22 conversion M1911 will get darn close to that, and I have less in the whole gun than you just spent on repairs on that Smith. :shock:

DavidABQ

Bearcat
Actually I have had very a good experience with both my S&W mod. 42 and my Ruger MKII Government Target Model. Perhaps the older ones are indeed better made?

Evidently, the first gunsmith filed too much off of the slide creating the jamming issue.

Regarding accuracy, I do have a Mark II and a BuckMark Contour 7.5. The Browning is more accurate, but the Ruger is a very close second. To be fair, I'm going to bring all three to the range this coming weekend and do a side by side test as formally as I can. I'll post the results and some pictures, next week.

Latest posts