Why Ruger Forum, Why?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan in MI

Staff member
ndcowboy said:
I'm not a big fan of the word "fair." It is used way too much these days.

I don't want to turn this into a pissing contest, but in this case the word fair is correct. It's not like anyone earned the right to post. It's freely given, so being courteous and letting everyone use it equally is fair. Or are you the kid that swiped the whole bowl of candy on Halloween when a generous person left the bowl out since they weren't going to be home?

And I don't want Scott to leave or quit posting either.

mr.deerstalker

Hawkeye
Well now, great dialogue here, thats what i intended, it was never about being rude, read, reread the courtesy rules (cheap cop out) in fact, this is very constructive. Asking way is a good thing!
I'll address the ones that seem to have weight to the qwestion at hand, in fact I'm coming around to the idea. Seems WMG runs his ads this way very nicely. But some replys seem weak on the piont. Let's start with "monopoly" the definition of that is you have no options, uuntrue push Next. Next up, some folks can't make it past the first page? Really, is this human nature? Can't find the next button? Or just plan lazy? (Not being rude, but it could be the issue). Fair, there's one of my favorites,
And courteous, this was never an issue here. What's unfair here, everyone has the next button, if you choose not to push it? Now all the folks that are non 2 second pages deem, others as are not being courteous? Im thinking maybe they shoud re-read the courtesy rules with there implied comment. Or do,es that only apply to the guy that asked a simply question. Scott

I say be "fair" , be reasonable" and go by the rules it aint that difficult, seems all too often to me that too many people, thats the ONLY time your see of , or hear from them, when its some thing to sell...............hell you do not like the rules try the others and see the REAL world, with rules, fees and OBLIGATIONS,,,,,,Life's too short 8) :roll: :wink:

MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!!!

Kevin said:
When one seller monopolizes half the first page with ads, a lot of other people’s ads get pushed to the second page where they’re less likely to be seen.

I think arfmel has a pretty good explanation. I don’t really know, I do use the classifieds from time to time, but I can say I hardly ever browse past the first page.

I think Kevin might have punched the bull's eye.... I too very seldom go past the first page... only when I'm trying to find something I was interested in and actually remember to re-look.....

Dan in MI

Staff member
OK I'll play.

First lets beat the "next" question in the ground. Implying people are too lazy to push next when it could be said you're too lazy to make a multi sale post makes that point moot.

Now onto the general issue.

You make six ads and another guy makes one. Then another guy makes 4 ads and another 5 or 6. You now have the front page mostly covered by three guys. (this has happened more than once) Now the three guys start getting responses keeping some of their posts up top all the while the single ad gets bumped off and buried onto page 2 in a matter of hours. Whereas under normal circumstances he'd a get a day or two of front page coverage.

Now three weeks, six weeks or however much time later all of the multiple ads get bumped up top repeating the original issue for the occasional user. It's not horrible with one guy, but that always seems to spark the other guys to bump their ads and once again the front page is all the same stuff that didn't sell 6 weeks ago. I understand you just need the right guy at the right time, but it still handcuffs others while you try to find him.

Do I need to go on or does that give you an idea of why this was done?

Again don't get me wrong. I love scanning the ads and the guys with a lot of stuff are often the best. I am a dumpster diver, bargain hunter. Always have been and always will be, but I am guilty of not hitting next unless I have to. I scan the classifieds every time I l check in. It does get annoying having to blast past the same large group of ads to see what is new.

bobski

Hunter
your actions speak louder than all these words in a dialog ds.
problem is, it doesn't change or glaze over the fact....you are in violation of the rules by posting more than 3 per page.
let me blow some dialog your way, (since its what you want.)
I ran into this issue on other less tolerant sites I post on.
seems some website rules state anyone selling more than 3 guns is considered a dealer.
I had to plead my case over and over to some owners trying to explain that im selling off my personal collection of 40 years. some people find it hard to believe that someone can own 100 guns. some here think its just a drop in the bucket.
I know some websites that only allow 1 gun for sale by members. dealers get to post 100's because why? they pay a fee.
so I must ask.....where do all your guns come from? are they from your closet?
if so, fine. but,
if you are buying and selling guns and maintaining an inventory...you are a dealer.
my goal is to recoop something from my purchases and clear out my home.
if you are buying and selling to profit to generate capital gain....youre in business.
so just a word of caution.
I don't know what youre purpose up there is in Alaska, but some may view it as a business venture.
so I hope that is what you want to hear.
heck, I never posted anything for sale here for years, because I figured this was a ruger site and the viewers probably didn't want to read about any other guns.
and you might want to pull your punch at the owners and admins. buttons are easy to push and even in my cautious existence here, ive been warned more than once over things much smaller than your issue.
and lastly, you do have great stuff. just wish youd answer pm's about them. seems you got so busy ttt'ing all your ads, you missed my questions on certain ones. :idea:

mr.deerstalker

Hawkeye
Bobski, I never had and never will have an issue with following the rules of the host site. I'm simply asking why. This is a positive question. What I do and what I own is not the piont here. For the record, I'm retired and own hundreds of guns, now and then I list a few at my liking. In fact I have not listed in some time. Most where post prior to the rule change, I just bumb them up.
The owners and admin guys should be encouraged by the dialogue, it explains, informs and promotes the rules by understanding them. I will follow the rules as per this sites requirements. But the rules listed might be missing one. Your not allowed to ask why. Be sarcastic here. Merry Christmas....Scott

bobski

Hunter
friends say the hard things that others don't have the guts to say. like others are doing as well, I hope you realize I am being your friend by saying things that need to be said, in hopes of it sparing you agony, as well as future success. the chief has spoken. take care. good fortune.

Poco Oso

Buckeye
The other side of this question would be, why do you find it so difficult to consolidate, or read a post where the seller has consolidated, the items to be sold? It saves bandwidth for the forum, and you don't have to keep pressing "next" in order to see every item for sale. Remember, it costs you nothing to advertise here, it costs the owner something , in order for you to do so. And then, sometimes things are just the way they are. If this is the biggest issue you face today, consider yourself very lucky indeed.

mr.deerstalker

Hawkeye
poco, I really dont mind the change, I'm trying to understand why. I asked, but really no real answer. hell it could be as simple as the owner said "that is the way it is" dont like? go pound sand. and we all would have to with it. but Instead, your monopoly guy, page hog, unfair guy, dealer, own to many guns.... or yours, why cant I consolidate? I could. and will as I follow the stated rules. but it still remands why? its seems as the real reason will not be known. because if you ask. your the bad guy. I suspect its, soft upgrades, cost money. not willing to do the work. again all simple reasons that appears none of our business. and that's OK...Scott

Poco Oso

Buckeye
I was editing my post as you posted yours, so I'll just put the edit here. It costs you, nothing to advertise here. It costs the forum owner, something to let you do so. I'd think that's a good enough reason. If that's too difficult to understand, maybe you should try posting your items on an auction you get the priviledge of paying for. (Item by item, of course) Pretty simple actually.

Okay. I'll respond. I am not speaking for this forum or its owner(s) or moderators, but I am sharing how other forums have dealt with the same issue the exact same way. I am not passing judgement.

A person posts an ad. The best exposure is while the ad is on page one. The ad is posted, and shortly later, another person posts enough ads that the previous ad is pushed to page two. That ad really had no chance of front page exposure.

So, moderators, contributors, and persons posting ads have kindly asked to spread out new ads a little bit, so everybody has a chance of their ads being immediately visible, at least for a short time.

I seldom, if ever, see the rule enforced, as usually it's a non-issue. But I've also seen here and elsewhere, where a seller will post 30+ads all at once. This gives some teeth to asking the seller to be respectful.

wolfsong

Staff member
This thread strikes me as follows: someone welcomes you into his home and provides a free meal to you as part of his hospitality. One of the courses of that meal Is s nice, fresh salad with Ranch dressing and you want to know why he doesn't offer you bleu cheese dressing.

Being invited into his home, enjoying the hospitality and getting a meal on his dime should be more than enough. I don't believe that the host is on a power trip or stroking his ego by creating the ambiance and setting the menu. It's simply the way he runs his home. Who am I to demand an explanation as to why? I'm just glad I'm welcomed to his house.

Seems to me several people have explained the “why” and you are discounting their explanations because you don’t like what they’re telling you.

Maybe I’m misinterpreting what you’re saying, and you want forum management to justify the rule.

mr.deerstalker

Hawkeye
Wolf song, it's not about hospitality, but I do like the way you put it, it's just a simple qwestion ask, this creates dialogue, comprehension, understanding of why the rule was added. How is that a bad thing? There may not be an explanation ever given. That's up to the powers to be. But asking is never a bad idea. Scott

mr.deerstalker

Hawkeye
arfmel, I'm not discounting anything, if you read the listing prior to this, you'll see I agree with much said. Most are very constructive, seem very common sense to me. How am I discounting there thoughts, ideas? This is a very good discussion with great imput. And lastly you state I don't like what there telling me. How could you know that? I like it all. Scott

Dan in MI

Staff member
mr.deerstalker said:
arfmel, I'm not discounting anything, if you read the listing prior to this, you'll see I agree with much said. Most are very constructive, seem very common sense to me. How am I discounting there thoughts, ideas? This is a very good discussion with great imput. And lastly you state I don't like what there telling me. How could you know that? I like it all. Scott

You ARE discounting the responses. You have been given logical and socially polite reasons why multiple posts are not desirable, yet you continue to say you haven’t been given a why. At this point it is becoming a waste of bandwidth to explain any further.

On the opening page of the Classified subforum, over on the right side, you will find these choices . . .

"Go to page 1,2,3,4,5 . . . Next" Clicking on one will take you to a specific page of topics or the "Next" one.

Once you have selected a topic, over on the right side, you will see this offering . . .

"Previous topic/First unread post/Next topic" Clicking on one will take you to whichever topic selection you like.

Same arrangement in the other subforums.

:mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.