Why not convert an OM SBH?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bruce in WV

Single-Sixer
I'm coming into an unconverted OM SBH and wonder about updating it to the safer transfer bar configuration. I've read about the safety concerns and think it is probably a good idea. Is there something special about the older action that makes it an undesirable update?

If I do that, what parts do I want to take off before sending it to Ruger so I can put it back into the original configuration if I ever want to?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Ruger%20Super%20BH_44Mag_sm_zpsmg4xc7ti.jpg

varminter22

Single-Sixer
Am sure opinions will differ. But I personally probably wouldn't convert it - unless MAYBE if I were going to be carrying quite OFTEN in dangerous game territory and wanted that sixth round at all times.

Handled properly (which is no big trick) and loaded with five rounds and an empty chamber under the hammer, it is perfectly safe.

And the action/trigger is simply BETTER unconverted.

tookalisten

Blackhawk
As posted above, I would keep it as original. I have New Models when I want to carry all 6 rounds; but have an unconverted OM .357 and feel perfectly safe with it staying as original.

reloader

Single-Sixer
I bought one a few years ago that had been converted, it was a beautiful gun but the trigger pull/action was terrible.
The original parts were in the box so I re-installed them and it had a great trigger and action. I would not convert it.
If you want one that has the transfer bar you could sell that one and buy a newer one. If you buy a newer used one with the transfer bar the trigger/action will be better than a converted one and you will likely be able to sell the unconverted one for a few hundred dollars more than the cost of the newer one.

Chief 101

Hunter
sell the om and buy an new model if you want the transfer bar safety...much nicer. The om is nice as it is and the conversion in nowhere as nice as a new model built to have the transfer bar...

REP1954

Blackhawk
Chief 101 said:
sell the om and buy an new model if you want the transfer bar safety...much nicer. The om is nice as it is and the conversion in nowhere as nice as a new model built to have the transfer bar...
Amen to what Chief say's.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
ACTUALLY THE CONVERSION IS A FAR BETTER ACTION than the old style Colt action. BUT...for the SBH the hammer they put in the conversion is the standard BH hammer NOT a SBH style hammer. THAT irritated me no end but ALL of the conversions on my other guns were BETTER than the original action. AND I sent a dozen per week for months on end. ALL but one came back a better gun that before. ALL but one...
And so it goes...

varminter22

Single-Sixer
WIL TERRY said:
ACTUALLY THE CONVERSION IS A FAR BETTER ACTION than the old style Colt action. BUT...for the SBH the hammer they put in the conversion is the standard BH hammer NOT a SBH style hammer. THAT irritated me no end but ALL of the conversions on my other guns were BETTER than the original action. AND I sent a dozen per week for months on end. ALL but one came back a better gun that before. ALL but one...
And so it goes...

I've certainly not had a number of 'em like that. But that REALLY surprises me. I don't reckon I've ever heard anyone say a transfer bar action is better/smoother than an old model action.

Of course I don't claim to be an expert on the subject. I can only compare my New Model revolvers to the one old model (that I currently have) and the others I've had or handled. And in that somewhat limited sampling, the old model beat the New Model in every case. (And, by the way, both types have had trigger/action work.)

I reckon the bottom line is: Shoot what ya like. And it certainly won't hurt to maintain an old model as long as basic safe handling is practiced.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The only time I would send an old model back for the conversion again, is if I wanted it refinished and wanted to get free shipping to and from Ruger. And then convert it back, like every other Ruger I've had converted.

Bruce in WV

Single-Sixer
"And then convert it back, like every other Ruger I've had converted."

This leads to the question about what parts are involved in the conversion - and taking them out before shipping it back to Ruger if I want it refinished. I've seen a thread about how wonderful the custom shop refinishing jobs can be, and this one could be made to look much better as it starts its next incarnation in the hands of a new family of shooters.

Is there a list available of parts to set aside before shipping it to Ruger?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Everything on the inside is replaced including hammer and trigger, even some parts that are the same. So just gut the action.
Here are the 7 new parts to replace the old, not including the bent nail:
rugerblackhawk3579mm_04w.jpg

Ruger free conversion adv and Scroll down to parts list for #s below: https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/singleSix-pre1973.pdf

Keep part #s:
R29
R38
R39
R40
R45
R46

Converted guns are stamped 'R' on bottom of frame under the trigger guard.