WHY no leading ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Johnnu2

Hunter
Not being one who accepts change readily, I decided to wait until the New Model Ruger transfer bar system got passed it's 'prototype' years, and assure myself that Ruger got the 'kinks' out. So, now, about 43yrs. =/- later, I purchased my first New Model from our own Forum member Gunsbam69 (the transaction was superb and I recommend him heartily). I bought a Williams Shooters Supply 'distributor exclusive' SS Bisley in .45Colt (single cylinder). I was going to immediately send out the cylinder to David Clements to have the chambers checked and reamed if necessary; and I was going to immediately change out the trigger spring and gently stone the action etc etc. Then, I took the advice of so many more-knowledgeable shooters: "shoot it first before you start changing and 'fixing' things". Well, two things became apparent immediately: 1) the gun shot way more accurately than I could possibly shoot with one bad eye and very old muscles; from sandbags at 25yds, I was getting a large ragged-hole group (maybe 2.5inches end to end); and 2) this gun just will not lead-up the barrel or the chambers no matter what I feed it. I've put undersized .451 lead SWC's thru it; also (Missouri Bullet) .452's of 12 and 18 hardness in both SWC-type and RN; even some 230 RN with the 'sprayed-on' lube of unknown mfg. My loads are relatively light: around 6.5grs Trail Boss or 7.0grs Unique. So far I've probably put 200+ rounds thru it, and after each session (usually 50 rnds), I come home and clean it. After the first patch, I check for leading in the bore and each chamber... nothing in the bore, and very minimal in the chambers. I tried to check for barrel constriction at the threads by using the tight-patch method but feel absolutely no restrictions. I tried dropping a jacketed (old mfg?) Sierra .4515" bullet thru each chamber and it would not go thru any of the 6 throats.....(unless I 'hammered' it thru). So, at this point: "if it ain't broke", I'm not fixing it (other than maybe a Wolff trigger spring.......MAYBE). The Gods have smiled upon me, and as long as I have one good eye (even though it's the wrong one) I'll keep shooting this NEW MODEL; but I probably won't buy another one :). I still have one Old Model in each caliber and will remain stubbornly faithful to the traditional SA actions, so please don't tell anyone about my satisfaction with this "new-fangled" design............ J.

contender

Ruger Guru
SShhhh! We won't tell anybody!

Seriously,,, I have a serious affliction for my OM Rugers,,, but I also recognize the quality of many of the New Models myself. Congrats on getting one you like!

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I started late and only have a few 'new model' Ruger single-actions and you know what? I am as happy as a pig. Real glad somebody still makes a good single-action revolver that is affordable. :D :D

mhblaw

Blackhawk
Yesterday at range therapy was 41 caliber day. Shooting my NMBH Bisley in 41 Mag. Much more accurate than these old eyes can hold. After 150 holes punched in paper I felt much better....

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I own several ( 50+ ) Ruger handguns. I cast most of the bullets fired in them and can't remember the last time I had a leaded bore or cylinder. I believe this leading thing is way over blown. The people who do have trouble seem to be the inexperienced new shooters.
Enjoy your new toy!

Chuck 100 yd said:
I own several ( 50+ ) Ruger handguns. I cast most of the bullets fired in them and can't remember the last time I had a leaded bore or cylinder. I believe this leading thing is way over blown. The people who do have trouble seem to be the inexperienced new shooters.
Enjoy your new toy!

+1

Johnnu2

Hunter
Went to the range again today.............same great performance and same clean bbl..... Someone say 'therapy'? I thought it was just me :)

Jim Puke

Hunter
I really have no use for the OM...only have 1 now and it is not a bigbore...and the primary reason that I don't hold them in high regard is that I find the New Model to be a better gun, overall and I much prefer the New Model trigger, to the old.

And, I have the same gun that you have and it is a fine revolver.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Interesting comment about the trigger Jim; I find exactly the opposite. All my OM triggers are very much lighter, with absolutely no creep. This NM Bisley trigger is quite heavy, with a bit of creep. That being said, I feel it's well worth the extra effort and concentration I need to get off a shot.

Jim Puke

Hunter
Johnnu2 said:
Interesting comment about the trigger Jim; I find exactly the opposite. All my OM triggers are very much lighter, with absolutely no creep. This NM Bisley trigger is quite heavy, with a bit of creep. That being said, I feel it's well worth the extra effort and concentration I need to get off a shot.

Well, I was actually talking about the NM trigger with lighter spring...not the stock spring.

My favorite trigger is the SAA type on my clones...and I have never felt a stock old model that was in the same class those. At any rate...you have a fine gun, enjoy it.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Thanks Jim.....I've got a couple of the Wolff trigger springs on order and am going to try them once they arrive. Also expect things will smoothen-out as I break-in the action thru some use.... It really is a well made piece. J

Johnnu2

Hunter
Thanks Hondo, I did that and I DO like the lighter-weight pull. I put it back 'as issued' simply because I hate to have parts out of place and, being anal, always worry if the 'modification' isn't putting undue wear on the parts that it interfaces with.... I know.... I know....'stop worrying and just enjoy'.... :))) J.

m657

Buckeye
speaking of 'leading'...re: " I believe this leading thing is way over blown. The people who do have trouble seem to be the inexperienced new shooters."

back circa 1979ish I was novice pistol shooter in the IHMSA game @ 200 yards. Also new to hand loading....and the locals all were urging faster hotter loads which I fell for at first.....

and spent considerable time frustrated with rapidly deteriorating accuracy in a match, while combating ever increasing leading.

Eventually I learned the error of such exuberant fps loads, and gradually learned 'moderate' loads worked better, were more accurate, and developed NO leading.....

Don't know if them old koots were intentionally jiving or what. In any case since I quite trying to push 250 gr lead down the barrel @ 1600+ fps, have had no issues with leading.

Johnnu2

Hunter
It's always been 800 +/- fps for this old coot..... Good for the gun and good for an old body..... :))))

71shooter

Single-Sixer
The nicest Blackhawk trigger I've ever experienced is on a old model 357 that has had the factory safety conversion performed. It was heavy at first, but the trigger broke like an icecycle. I cut a couple of coils off the mainspring, and it's now just sweet. I wish Ruger had just started making the old models like this instead of making the New Models.

DougGuy

Single-Sixer
I always used the Wolff 30oz. trigger return spring, and I try to use the factory hammer spring rather than a lower power hammer spring because the lock time is longer with the lighter hammer spring.

One of my SBH has a lighter spring, and here's the dividing line. If I can stand and two handed dry fire the gun and hold the sights motionless, the springs are right. If I can't I lighten up the hammer spring until I can hold them motionless.

The dry fire exercise is great, because in live fire, that bullet went to wherever that front sight was pointed. Take a mental "snapshot" of what the sights did when the hammer fell, and practice until you can hold them still, groups will usually shrink noticeably.

As far as the leading goes, I guess if you have tight cylinder throats and shoot a hard cast load with that hard blue lube like a lot of the commercial casters sell, you can very easily lead the daylights out of a bore. I found that a softer alloy like 50/50 with a tad bit of tin, and soft lube work much better anyway and I never have to clean my bores.

Johnnu2

Hunter
"As far as the leading goes, I guess if you have tight cylinder throats and shoot a hard cast load with that hard blue lube like a lot of the commercial casters sell, you can very easily lead the daylights out of a bore. I found that a softer alloy like 50/50 with a tad bit of tin, and soft lube work much better anyway and I never have to clean my bores."
Doug, this is the odd/great thing about my gun, I've tried hard cast and softer cast; the blue lube and different lubes; even different sized .45 bullets and NOTHING seems to produce leading (I can get some minor indications of lead in the chambers with some of these, but nothing consequential.... Am a happy dude.