Why Dogs Are Better Than Cats

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
No , I don't hate dogs , I live with 3.5 of them .

If a narrower study were done , there probably would be a measurable effect for residential burglary and home invasion .

And don't get too taken with the presence of cows as a factor . There absolutely are professional thieves who specialize in farms and rural properties .

Less likely to be seen , even if alarms , unlikely to be heard by neighbors , and certain to have valuable stuff to steal .

I've had a supposedly reformed burglar explain it to me . Without any need for casing a target , every rural residence will have a riding lawnmower in a shed . That by itself makes it profitable , and everything else they would find was just gravy .

Joe Chartreuse

Single-Sixer
The only reason dogs may be better than cats is that you don't have to bend as far to pet them. ( Real dogs- bigger than cats and don't bounce when they bark).

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Heck , a cat the size of a beagle could easily enough kill you in your sleep if it wanted .

A 5 lb cat vs 75 lb dog is an unfair fight . When the cat gets tired of putting up with the dog's nonsense , it just needs to sink one claw into the dog's nose . Dog runs away , but didn't do enough damage to anger their mutual human .

NightSailor

Bearcat
No , I don't hate dogs , I live with 3.5 of them .

If a narrower study were done , there probably would be a measurable effect for residential burglary and home invasion .

And don't get too taken with the presence of cows as a factor . There absolutely are professional thieves who specialize in farms and rural properties .

<snip>
I've had a supposedly reformed burglar explain it to me . Without any need for casing a target , every rural residence will have a riding lawnmower in a shed . That by itself makes it profitable , and everything else they would find was just gravy .
My riding lawn mower is parked in my dog run and protected by five dogs and six video cameras on the dog run for over lapping coverage. I started parking it there when visiting contractors started giving it the eyeball. Plus I cut the lawn there frequently to keep it very short to make it easy to do poop patrol.

I may have gone overboard on the cameras but I have had as many as 15 puppies, and with five other dogs 20 was my highest total. Cameras were essential to cover every bit of the dog run.

Given the wave of crime. Someone tried to steal my car last December—unheard of given out very long driveway, I’ve stepped up security. I’m planning on putting in powered gates and adding stone wall/fenced on either side to limit access and keep the dogs contained.

I was more worried about coyotes. We have a bear and two cubs in the neighborhood. A pair of bobcats have been reported. And some claim a bigger cat (a Mt lion was run over about 8 years ago just after it was spotted across the street from our property. I did not believe the story untitling made the papers. I think Connecticut imported some big cats to control the deer population which is now somewhat under control. Something killed a deer on our property last year—never seen that before either.

This is in an area with three reservoirs, and lots of conservation land and a river with few houses nearby.

A side note on cameras. I found it cheaper to buy cameras that infrared lights. So multiple cameras overlapping do a great job with shared illumination. I plan to add even more. My goal is twenty between the house and the barn.

KIR

Blackhawk
Several dog walkers in the neighborhood, act as a deterrence. I am on a fixed income so I just got a couple of signs that say, 'DOGS ON PROPERTY"! Lawyer once said that if your sign says, Beware of dog or something similar and an incident happens, could be grounds for a lawsuit. So no threats.

Could be possible... I know times have changed... but there is a cult classic book called "You Can't Win" by a guy named Jack Black... he was a burglar at the beginning of the last century.... he got caught after breaking into a guy's house and while in jail the guy / home owner came and asked him what could he do to not be broken into again... Jack Black told him to buy a dog.

harley08

Single-Sixer
My riding lawn mower is parked in my dog run and protected by five dogs and six video cameras on the dog run for over lapping coverage. I started parking it there when visiting contractors started giving it the eyeball. Plus I cut the lawn there frequently to keep it very short to make it easy to do poop patrol.

I may have gone overboard on the cameras but I have had as many as 15 puppies, and with five other dogs 20 was my highest total. Cameras were essential to cover every bit of the dog run.

Given the wave of crime. Someone tried to steal my car last December—unheard of given out very long driveway, I’ve stepped up security. I’m planning on putting in powered gates and adding stone wall/fenced on either side to limit access and keep the dogs contained.

I was more worried about coyotes. We have a bear and two cubs in the neighborhood. A pair of bobcats have been reported. And some claim a bigger cat (a Mt lion was run over about 8 years ago just after it was spotted across the street from our property. I did not believe the story untitling made the papers. I think Connecticut imported some big cats to control the deer population which is now somewhat under control. Something killed a deer on our property last year—never seen that before either.

This is in an area with three reservoirs, and lots of conservation land and a river with few houses nearby.

A side note on cameras. I found it cheaper to buy cameras that infrared lights. So multiple cameras overlapping do a great job with shared illumination. I plan to add even more. My goal is twenty between the house and the barn.
Where do you live In CT? Must be near the Mass. boarder?

KIR

Blackhawk
This cat is smarter then a dog...

Attachments

• Cats are Smarter.jpg
    Cats are Smarter.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 41

WanderLust

Bearcat
As I have read before in a humor column, dogs may be man's best friend, but a cat has never revealed a hidden stash to the cops!

KIR

Blackhawk
Yet another reason why cats smarter...

Attachments

• Cat Sniper.jpg
    Cat Sniper.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 40

LDM

Blackhawk
Cats are WAY smarter than dogs. Dogs obey you, cats figure out ways to get you to obey them.....
What's the difference between a dog and a cat? A dog looks at you and thinks, "You give me food and shelter. You must be a god." Whereas a cat looks at you and thinks, "You give me food and shelter. I must be a god."

Latest posts